Novelty 'Gunbrellas' Provoke Police Warning In B.C. (Story and video)

This is a discussion on Novelty 'Gunbrellas' Provoke Police Warning In B.C. (Story and video) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A novelty umbrella that looked like a rifle created a tense situation at a bus stop in Richmond, B.C., and now police are warning the ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 2 Post By uberrogue
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By goldshellback
  • 1 Post By 357and40
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By discoboxer

Thread: Novelty 'Gunbrellas' Provoke Police Warning In B.C. (Story and video)

VIP Member

A novelty umbrella that looked like a rifle created a tense situation at a bus stop in Richmond, B.C., and now police are warning the public not to carry the scary props.

Richmond RCMP Sgt. Sherrdean Turley said someone called 911 last November after spotting a young man with what appeared to be a rifle over his shoulder, waiting at a bus stop.

"Our officers directed the male to place the rifle on the ground, at which time, he did, and he stepped away from the rifle."

When officers took a closer look, they realized it was an umbrella, but the situation could have ended very badly if the young man had made a wrong move, Turley said.
    RCMP Cpl. Sherrdean Turley holds a sample 'gunbrella': a novelty umbrella that looks a lot like, in this case, a rifle.RCMP Cpl. Sherrdean Turley holds a sample 'gunbrella': a novelty umbrella that looks a lot like, in this case, a rifle. (CBC)

"If, for example, he had [the novelty umbrella] on his shoulder and was simply trying to tell our officers, 'No, no, no, it's just an umbrella, let me show you,'" Turley said, holding up a so-called gunbrella. "If it appeared that he was actually shouldering the rifle — if our officers believed he was about to fire — I mean, our officers would have no choice."

The young man told police he bought the umbrella at a games store in Richmond. The owner of the chain declined to comment on the incident, but a manager at the chain's Burnaby location said he apologized to the young man's mother and says the store isn't planning on selling the item again.
    'Swordbrellas' also get noticed

Time Frame, a framing and crafts store in Vancouver, doesn't sell 'gunbrellas' but does offer umbrellas that look like Samurai swords.

Carl Danforth, a spokesperson for the store, said the fake gun umbrellas look much too real.

"We won't carry the umbrella gun because we found it looks too much like a real gun. We don't want to be responsible with somebody walking down the street with a real-looking gun, and what will the police do with you," Danforth said.

But Danforth, who does sell 'swordbrellas' said even he has had a conversational run-in with police over them.

"I've had to deal with a police officer that pulled me over because he wanted to question me about it and I happily showed it to him and he was like, 'Oh, that's very clever,'" Danforth said.

According to police in Richmond, the smart thing to do is to just stay away from any prop that looks like a real weapon.

"This is such a bad idea and that is such an understatement," Turley said.

Video here.........

Novelty 'gunbrellas' provoke police warning in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

My 11 year old grandson has a toy 1911 .45 that looks so real that if he pointed it at an LEO, he could get killed. I warned him that if anyone told him to drop it, drop it immediately and stand back from it.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Add a bayonet lug and a thumb hole and voila.... "assault rifle/weapon"
    Poseidon and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    In today's climate I would never buy one of those. What's the point? You look big and bad with your pretend gun?

Just asking for trouble IMO.
    ccw9mm and sixgun like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I'd buy one or two just because for the sillyness of the thing.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I thought it would be the other way around when i read the title. A gun that looks like an umbrella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Maintaining a low profile is our best defense. Showing your weapon or even a fake one is an invitation to disaster either from the authorities or the BG's.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Ok, alert me when the news starts reporting news...

PS: Alert me when you are allowed to carry toys around again.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I thought it would be the other way around when i read the title. A gun that looks like an umbrella.

That would be cool.
    nontechguy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm all for making the masses feel stupid. I'll take one.
    goldshellback and atctimmy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I could swear I've seen guns that look like umbrellas for sale. Tried to find a link, but couldn't. I wonder if they would qualify under any CCW laws? The only things I remember were all single shot so it's not like I'd actually carry one, but still ...

An umbrella that looks like a gun sounds pretty stupid to me though. I mean, I get it in a way ... we love to make things that look like other things ... but you'd have to be stupid to think you can carry that without attracting attention. There's a reason why I carry my AR-15 in a bag.

I just read that Feinstein will be adding all umbrellas over 12" to her list of banned items.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm all for making the masses feel stupid. I'll take one.
    Remember who just got voted back into office?.........they already do.

OldVet likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Time to ban the assault umbrella - afterall it was a modified umbrella that shot a ricin pellet into a cold war operative!

Ban the assault umbrella's... we should push for the AUB...
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Links