Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry - Page 2

Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry

This is a discussion on Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just finally finished the place with wire. 5 strand high tensil W/3 hot. In NC I get more time to play during these months ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry

Distinguished Member
    I just finally finished the place with wire. 5 strand high tensil W/3 hot. In NC I get more time to play during these months than you. Good time to run wire vs July. Its sometimes hard to do any reloading if I can be outside. Take care.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Reminds me of something that happened to me as a kid.

I had just finished working on the fences, and was hanging out in the kitchen looking out of the window. Down below was a pasture we had fenced in with electric to allow the horses a place to graze apart from the barbed wire fence areas.

Something caught my attention, a fluttering brown streak, accelerating quickly from the wooded are to the pasture. As it past the fence line, it dropped to the ground, and was fluttering around on the ground.

I went down to find a dead ruffed grouse, that had broken it's neck on the electric fence. So I picked it up, and took it to the house.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Attachment 67324Attachment 67325Attachment 67326

Maggie, the Donkey Buckeye.45 does not want; Zane, the perpetually hungry gelding; and Boaz, my gelding.

The horses are Tennessee Walkers - great gaited riders

Thank you, thank you, No.

Just contemplative. Cloudy day, pre-tax season boredom. Cleaning house before my dear wife gets home from a visit up to Denver.
    Tell Maggie that is isn't my fault, I just have to check and see if my landlord would love it if I had a donkey in my upper floor apartment.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Just pullin' your chain, buckeye.45. She's a sweetie and keeps our boys company.

To say it another way, our two horses have a pet donkey.

Interesting though - donkey's are very protective - she will not let coyotes close, don't know about a lion. Lion probably wouldn't try, because they'd risk being hurt real bad by her. She has body slams down to an art (spoken from first hand experience).
    Jeanlouise likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Attachment 67324Attachment 67325Attachment 67326

Maggie, the Donkey Buckeye.45 does not want; Zane, the perpetually hungry gelding; and Boaz, my gelding.
    So who are the other critters lurking in the background behind Maggie?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Something caught my attention, a fluttering brown streak, accelerating quickly from the wooded are to the pasture. As it past the fence line, it dropped to the ground, and was fluttering around on the ground.

I went down to find a dead ruffed grouse, that had broken it's neck on the electric fence. So I picked it up, and took it to the house.
    That was so uplifting Glockman, thank you.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

other critters lurking in the background behind Maggie
    Those were her fellow donkey "friends" at the donkey adoption agency. Maggie though, really didn't have any donkey friends. She was never socialized with other donkeys, so she does not like other donkeys at all. She does like horses though, and vice versa. She and our two geldings are real buddies. She'll just never fit in except around horses.

It is rather hysterical when she is in estrus. She feels quite "easy" and tries to "attract" the "boys" by backing into them with her hips spread.......anyway.......you get the idea.......being geldings they just look at her like some kind of alien maniac and wander off. She gets soooooo frustrated. Poor girl. We have a gorgeous Arabian Stallion living .25 mile away though, and I really do not want him getting wind of my little girl....

Ya'll probably could have gone without knowing all that................

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

She was never socialized with other donkeys, so she does not like other donkeys at all.
    So I am trying to figure this out... does she or does she not like you?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Beautiful horses! I love Maggie though. There's just something so adorable about a Donkey. They're huggable ... or something.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

does she or does she not like you
    She was just never socialized with donkeys. She was socialized with horses and humans. Humans are fine for the most part, once she gets to know you. Donkeys have great memories though, so if anyone ever hurt her, she will remember.

Beautiful horses! I love Maggie though
    Thanks

Well, she probably would not like me, my wife tells me all the time that I am a donkey's backside.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links