Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry

This is a discussion on Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Deer and Elk are tough on fences. Electric fencing is particularly prone to damage. We have ours fenced and cross-fenced into five different areas with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry

Red face Fence Repairs: Deer , Elk, Donkey and Two Horses - One of Which is Always hungry

Deer and Elk are tough on fences. Electric fencing is particularly prone to damage. We have ours fenced and cross-fenced into five different areas with smooth four wire fencing topped with electric.

The electric serves little purpose other than keeping my wife's young gelding from pushing over the four wire in his quest for greener grass. He is constantly hungry, like a teenage boy. Reminds me of a banker I knew in a small town in western Oklahoma. His bank was acquired by Bank IV, then Boatmen's acquired Bank IV, then Nations acquired Boatmen's then Nations acquired B of A and became B of A and some VP visited and said to him "we don't lend money on stuff that eats, craps and walks........." So ask me why I have horses.......

So about monthly, or usually more frequently, I walk it all with my tools, tightening, repairing, re-stringing..........I always try to pick nice bright warm cloudless days for the chore. Good therapy in these trying times. I even do neighbor's fences sometimes.

So, other than finding several nice samples of deer scat, and nice samples of elk scat, it was uneventful. There was some old snow to crunch through, some mud to kneel in, some grass to sit on. Nice to know the deer and elk still like my property, and more likely, the stock tanks which are always full, fresh and clean.

Other than sharing that, there's no real purpose here, other than to remind all of us to go out on warm days, smile at the sky, and tighten and fix your fences or whatever it is you do to remain grounded. These are trying times, and listening to news and reading or staring at computer screens not very fulfilling at times.

Stay healthy, and be careful.

And keep your sidearms and rifles close..........

2. Remove Ads

Thanks, R&G, nice post. The outside is most often therapeutic, especially here in Colorado!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

What is best in life?
    Crush your enemies.
    See them driven before you.
    Here the lamentations of their women.

Rock, your post reminded me of Conan the Barbarian, the original.
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Every year deer trash my fences during hunting season. I could barely keep my horses in the last three months.

I agree on the outdoors. Yesterday we took our books out to the dock -- lots better than sitting inside.

I thought there was gonna be a BAR in this post some where...A Deer ,Elk,2 donkeys and a horse walk into a bar
    Brad426, IronMike and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Interesting Post Rock & Glock.. not your normal style so I am wondering if today is not the warm and sunny kind and if and your feeling cabin fever?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

R&G, thanks for the refreshing post. It got me away from fretting over some of the annoyances in life that too often I magnify into problems.

When you "walk the fences" do you bring something to plink with?
    bmcgilvray and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I could barely keep my horses in the last three months.
    No kidding!

A Deer ,Elk,2 donkeys and a horse walk into a bar
    That's actually funny as it is

you're feeling cabin fever
    Cloudy. Made me reminiscence

When you "walk the fences" do you bring something to plink with?
    I always carry my G36, although I do like your idea. The darn stretcher, clamper and wire and other stuff is generally enough. Just wait until my Grandkids are old enough to carry the tools......
    gasmitty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Interesting Post Rock & Glock.. not your normal style so I am wondering if today is not the warm and sunny kind and if and your feeling cabin fever?
    It was rather poetic and wistful,ya ain't dying are ya?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Other than sharing that, there's no real purpose here, other than to remind all of us to go out on warm days, smile at the sky, and tighten and fix your fences or whatever it is you do to remain grounded. These are trying times, and listening to news and reading or staring at computer screens not very fulfilling at times.

Stay healthy, and be careful.

And keep your sidearms and rifles close..........
    Amen to that. This evening, the boy and I sat in the woods trying to call in a coyote. All we called in was curious birds & squirrels and were happy with that. 'Great day to be in the woods.
    gasmitty likes this.

_RDC4405.jpgIMG_1357.jpgIMG_1328.jpg

Maggie, the Donkey Buckeye.45 does not want; Zane, the perpetually hungry gelding; and Boaz, my gelding.

The horses are Tennessee Walkers - great gaited riders

poetic and wistful,ya ain't dying are ya?
    Thank you, thank you, No.

Just contemplative. Cloudy day, pre-tax season boredom. Cleaning house before my dear wife gets home from a visit up to Denver.
    gasmitty and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    Ya know, some pictures would be nice. Or they'd just make me jealous and want to move even farther away from civilization. Or both.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's been in the high 70s all week, going back into the 80s next week. Some January winter weather we're having here. The only highlight is I caught one more squirrel. One more to go, I think.
    TX expat and Rock and Glock like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's been in the high 70s all week, going back into the 80s next week. Some January winter weather we're having here. The only highlight is I caught one more squirrel. One more to go, I think.
    You must move pretty quick for an old guy.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links