Anyone seen "Zero Dark Thirty?"

This is a discussion on Anyone seen "Zero Dark Thirty?" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone else see it yet? General review?...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By kb2wji
  • 2 Post By NMB
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By mcp1810

Thread: Anyone seen "Zero Dark Thirty?"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Anyone seen "Zero Dark Thirty?"

Anyone else see it yet? General review?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Decided not to see it.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Yeah... don't waste your time... its kind of like "wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it... boom, raid on Osama/ end movie" ...damn I just wasted over 2 hours of my life...

thats pretty much how it went I would imagine. lot of waiting and intel gathering for 30 minutes of boom-time.
    atctimmy and Drgnfly like this.

no, don't want to. allegedly they got him. thats all i need to know.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

NMB
    If you are going into it thinking its about the raid, you are incorrect.

Its about the mission to find him, not so much the raid itself.

I thought it was good, interesting to see the back story. Id say its worth seeing.

It DOES NOT in anyway portray Obama as a hero, as was implied by many before its release.
    Drgnfly and JaxRolo like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Definitely worth seeing, but don't expect a Bruce Willis shoot-em-up. It's a very well-made film with some solid acting. Will it keep you at the edge of your seat with suspense? No, but it WILL draw in a viewer who has the patience to watch a story unfold. The movie does a very good job of conveying how tedious and frustrating the entire task of tracking down UBL... you keep thinking "when are they going to get this guy?" over the course of 2 hours, which is compressed from the real-world time frame of a decade. Meanwhile, the "heroine" CIA agent (superbly played by Jessica Chastain) is worn down by the nearly fruitless searching over years, but retains her committedness to get UBL. The actual raid on the compound is nearly anti-climactic.

If you want to see lots of military action, go rent Heartbreak Ridge (a classic I love) - Zero Dark Thirty is a vastly different movie that tells a detailed story.
    Drgnfly, NMB and JaxRolo like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I read No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden: Mark Owen, Kevin Maurer: Amazon.com: Kindle Store. It was a good book and satisfied my curiosity on the subject. I'm not going to watch the movie.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I know how it ends. And the Titanic sinks. Gangster Squad is okay, lots of cool cars.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I liked it. It was exactly what I expected. But I was not expecting a movie about the raid. It is about the hunt.

And Tony Soprano runs the CIA!
    gasmitty likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

i liked it. kinda slow going but it built up to a good ending.

It's just ok. Wish i had waited til it was on HBO instead of wasting 11.50 for the movie.

Saw it, thought it was outstanding to be honest. I am a huge fan of the series Homeland so this tied something similiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy W View Post
    It's just ok. Wish i had waited til it was on HBO instead of wasting 11.50 for the movie.
    shew! movies here are 5.50 on weekend nights. i wouldn't pay 11.50

Osama...Osama...Osama, lol

Yeah, it was a long build up focusing on how the main character hunted for him for a decade. I found the actually raid on the compound interesting. If any of you tactics guru's can chime in, feel free. The SEALs were very slow and methodical getting in to the compound and clearing rooms but their failure drills were pretty intense. It was a far cry from hitting it a building with an NE round and storming the place like gangbusters.

Links