Military Folks:Would you change your MOS.service if you had to do it over again?

Military Folks:Would you change your MOS.service if you had to do it over again?

This is a discussion on Military Folks:Would you change your MOS.service if you had to do it over again? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ever wish you can go back into time and do it over again? If you could, would you have chosen a different service or MOS? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Military Folks:Would you change your MOS.service if you had to do it over again?

Ever wish you can go back into time and do it over again? If you could, would you have chosen a different service or MOS?

I started out as a 33S (Electronic Warfare Tech) and spent 6 years flying in Army recon aircraft. Went SF after that. But if I could do it all over again I think I might have chosen the Coast Guard and have become a rescue swimmer. I am of course happy with the way things turned out though.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I served in the Marine Corps, I would not change branches. When I signed up my asvab qualified me for Air Traffic controller ( I was from rural Ky and wanted a profession when I got out) when I arrived at MEPS I was told the only opening was Motor T or Infantry, being 18 and stupid I became an 0331 Machinegunner. I was able to get a billet in The Security Forces which was a blast. I should have told them no deal until what I was promised was available though. I also had a chance to go "Yankee White" or Presidential Security, I should have done that when I had the chance as well.

VIP Member
    There are definitely a few things I would do differently in hindsight, but the airborne infantry would not be one of them.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Administrator
    Yup, sure would.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Suntzu, like you, I'd probley gone back and done the Coast Guard. Not a rescue swimmer per se.... but then again.......

I see so many more opportunities to do SO many diffrent 'things' with the Coasties...... I'm not ashamed or nuthin' about the path I took, it worked out for me, but seeing what each service had to offer and what I could do/have done there....... makes ya wonder.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Ever wish you can go back into time and do it over again? If you could, would you have chosen a different service or MOS?

I started out as a 33S (Electronic Warfare Tech) and spent 6 years flying in Army recon aircraft. Went SF after that. But if I could do it all over again I think I might have chosen the Coast Guard and have become a rescue swimmer. I am of course happy with the way things turned out though.
    My thinking also. Face it, in peacetime the military can be very routine, boring, and much time spent "maintaining" the facilities. Exercises and inspections really weren't the highlight of my career. The CG, on the other hand, is performing its assigned duties day in, day out. Plus I'd think it would be a lot more fun shooting out speedboat motors with an M2 than swapping out gyros in a hot cockpit.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My thinking also. Face it, in peacetime the military can be very routine, boring, and much time spent "maintaining" the facilities. Exercises and inspections really weren't the highlight of my career. The CG, on the other hand, is performing its assigned duties day in, day out. Plus I'd think it would be a lot more fun shooting out speedboat motors with an M2 than swapping out gyros in a hot cockpit.
    Well....my job was never boring LOL. I didn't have to endure the monotonous regular army life. In fact, the only two years I was assigned to a unit that did not have a live mission I was shocked at how bored I was and was about to get out. I figure the next best rush to what I did was to be a rescue swimmer. But I do not regret at all the choices I made. But being a rescue swimmer would have kept me at home a lot more than I was.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Nope, wouldn't change my service or my MOS.

For the rest of my life I can proudly say that I was a Marine Corps infantryman (0311) who deployed to two separate combat zones (OIF/OEF) in order to do my job. It taught me a lot about myself, and no one can ever take that away from me. Its not as sexy as the Navy SEALS, or Delta Force, or MARSOC, but, I liked it.

Now, had you asked me when I was in, I probably would have said yes, I should of joined the Air Force.
    WHEC724 and aus71383 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I wish I could change the dates I was enlisted.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Currently contemplating if I want to reclass to a new job actually.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Rescue swimmer wasn't a rate (MOS) when I was in ('83 - '88). It was a collateral duty for E-3's while we waited for our 'A school' (where you got your rate). Unlike other branches, you don't get trained for a rate when you come out of boot camp. Back then, it was a two year wait for most schools. As a Seaman, in addition to potentially being a rescue swimmer, you'd also clean toilets, be a boarding officer, tie down helo's at sea, pull KP duty, be at the helm, etc.. You did it all.

I was so naive, I didn't know the difference between enlisted and officers when I enlisted. I thought everybody started at the bottom and worked their way up . If I could do it again, I would have done college first, and then got guaranteed flight school out of OCS. Flying a search and rescue helo would have been a dream job. Ironically, I was offered that same deal when I did get out of college (after my enlistment), but opted for the money in the private sector instead.
    aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Nope, wouldn't change my service or my MOS.

For the rest of my life I can proudly say that I was a Marine Corps infantryman (0311) who deployed to two separate combat zones (OIF/OEF) in order to do my job. It taught me a lot about myself, and no one can ever take that away from me. Its not as sexy as the Navy SEALS, or Delta Force, or MARSOC, but, I liked it.

Now, had you asked me when I was in, I probably would have said yes, I should of joined the Air Force.
    I was told (by my former Marine shop chief) being a Marine was like being a pregnant woman; after it's all over, you quickly forget how bad it was.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I was told (by my former Marine shop chief) being a Marine was like being a pregnant woman; after it's all over, you quickly forget how bad it was.
    Not just the Marines...

Although, I'm comfortable in saying I'm not a Coastie anymore. And I do respect the Marines who bear that responsibility for life.

No regrets with the Corps, but in hindsite, I probably would have done things differently. I'm glad I went into aviation though. I also considered joining the Navy when I got out, but decided to go back to EMS instead. Coast Guard would have been a good choice too. I know a few Coasties who had a great time while in.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Joined the Army as a 94M (Radar Repair) in 2003, but was reclassed to 88N (transportation management) -- long story. Bottom line, 88N took me to a place where I got to make some good friends and grow as a person. Then took me to where I'm currently at and where I separated from active duty. Here I found a company that I really like, a wife I love, a home we're proud of, and the only bad thing about the whole deal is we live in the state of Illinois. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier. I sometimes think what would hvae happened if I wasn't relcassed!

I wouldn't change a thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links