Major props to my dad! (...who is the NRA, by the way!)

This is a discussion on Major props to my dad! (...who is the NRA, by the way!) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was a kid, my dad had high hopes that his sons would get into hunting and shooting- he taught them what he knew ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Major props to my dad! (...who is the NRA, by the way!)

When I was a kid, my dad had high hopes that his sons would get into hunting and shooting- he taught them what he knew and they put in their time squirrel hunting- he even had a couple squirrels mounted for them. This was all completely barbaric to me- my first dove hunt was my last hunt. And they could all just keep their guns and ammo, their stuffed squirrels, and their lifetime NRA memberships.

Fast forward almost 30 years. The boys didn't really take to shooting or hunting, but Daddy's little girl has discovered shooting is quite fun and guns are wonderful, beautiful things to collect, kind of like jewelry and shoes. She has a lot more in common with Dad these days and they've bonded talking about things like left-eye dominance, ammunition, and most notably, politics.

Yesterday, I said something about wanting to join the NRA, (Incidentally, my dad was sporting his NRA cap as well as his NRA fleece jacket.) and my dad said he could've sworn he'd given me a life membership at some point. As soon as he said that, the wheels started turning. He had after all given one to each of my brothers and sisters, as well as to my son on the day he was born. I told him I didn't recall- I was never really the sort of kid that would've appreciated one. Until now!!!

Dad did a little digging for me and found out that indeed, he had never gotten one for me. This flew in the face of all that is holy and he signed me up immediately for a life membership to the NRA!

I just wanted to thank my dad and brag a little about a man who truly walks the walk. (Just glad I never had to decide where to display my stuffed squirrel!)
    TX expat, niks, WHEC724 and 21 others like this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Nice!!!!!!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Sounds like a great father. You're truly blessed to have a man like him, and we could only pray for more like him out there that gets the dedication involved in being a parent.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Great story and welcome to the forum!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Nice Dad! He obviously raised a great girl!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    You have a great Dad!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Excellent!

Distinguished Member
    I think you should give your dad a big hug from your friends here on the DC forums!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Very cool!
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

Hey Sauerpuss, That is one awesome Dad. Keep up the good work and make him proud..

VIP Member
    Great story and feather in both of your caps.

BTW, I think I was in high school before I found out there was other meat than squirrels.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Kentucky women are great. I've been married to one for the last 41 years. Not only are they your wife - they're your best friend too.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Nice you are one lucky lady.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I think you should give your dad a big hug from your friends here on the DC forums!
    And send him a link and invitation to join in the discussions. He'd be as welcome as you are.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Good that you appreciate what he did, and that he did it.... +1 for Dad.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links