The "Not-Watching-the-Superbowl" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Not-Watching-the-Superbowl" Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2013 Super Bowl - Super Bowl XLVII - NFL.com Just getting an early start on the subject. Who's like me and is a reformed character ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: The "Not-Watching-the-Superbowl" Thread

The "Not-Watching-the-Superbowl" Thread

2013 Super Bowl - Super Bowl XLVII - NFL.com

Just getting an early start on the subject. Who's like me and is a reformed character who just doesn't really care about the Superbowl and the overdose of hype? I was vaguely aware that it was the 49ers and somebody but had to look it up to find out it was the Ravens.

I was once a rabid Dallas fan. The whole extended family kept up with Dallas from the time they came to town in about 1960 when I was three years old. I remember my dad, grandfather, and uncles watching the games and devoting much time to Cowboys discussion at family gatherings as a small kid. I grew up on it and remained involved as an adult. Talked about it in the office. Went to games. Really enjoyed pro-football as a fun diversion in life.

Then along came the 1982 NFL strike, and a goofy abbreviated season. I didn't believe in their ol' strike and was vexed to be without a season to follow so pouted and ignored them for that season. After that the whole house of cards that was the NFL in my mind came crashing down. I've not been interested since.

I'm getting to spend the Sunday out of town with my 3-year-old and 8-month-old granddaughters. We'll probably do something much more fun like playing house, walking the dog, and watching "My Little Pony" and "Dora, the Explorer." If I had planned to stay home I'd have been sure to be at the range on Sunday afternoon, basking in the solitude and shooting some boring ol' rifle.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

You mean Alabama's not playing? Well, no point in watching now!
    aceakarick, KBSR, mano3 and 2 others like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

It seems, of late, every time I begin catching some interest in an up-and-coming NFL team they get POUNDED in the playoffs. So I might watch a bit of the game to see if it's close & interesting. But my day won't be revolving around the coverage.
    surefire7 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I stopped watching pro football when the "struttin'" began. I'll try to catch a few of the commercials, which are always better than the game.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I havent watched a super bowl in years. One reason I havent had live tv in three years Even when I did for probably 12 years now I couldnt have told you who was even playing in it or that it was time for it. To much other stuff on my plate.
    RKflorida likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

What's the super bowl?
    msgt/ret, sixgun, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

NMB
    Any reason to hang out with friends, drink a few beers, and throw something on the grill, is a good reason!

Ill be watching
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I'll be working. Never really liked american football anyway. I'd rather watch rugby. At least with rugby they don't wear body armor and stop for a rest every 10 seconds.

I haven't watched football in years (decades?) cause I'm a Redskins fan

Honestly, I could care less about professional football, or any professional sport for that matter. I used to be a huge baseball fan and grew up during the whole MLB strike. After my father explained what the strike was all about (greedy, overpaid baseball players wanting more), it left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. I'll go to the occasional MLB or NHL game, but I'm not nearly into sports as other people I know.

So, to answer your question, I won't be giving into the hype and will use the opportunity to do something more productive while everyone else flocks to local sports bars to guzzle pitchers of cheap beer. The public range that I frequent seems to be pretty dead during any major game, so maybe I'll take advantage of "Superbowl Sunday" and get in a little range time.

I never watch it but I do like the commercials.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Not a fan, won't be watching it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I stopped watching pro football when the "struttin'" began. I'll try to catch a few of the commercials, which are always better than the game.

Used to be a huge sports fan. Still like baseball, but have waned on basketball and football with all the "struttin and thuggin".
    vilecanards likes this.

Been a 49er fan since I was a kid, so yes I'll be watching. heck it's been a while since the golden years so if they can pull it off I want to see it. I won't be at any watering hole drinking cheap beer, i'd rather stay home and safe drinking a couple cheap beers.
    joker1 likes this.

u should come to my party. please see my thread. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links