Any readers? - Great books!

This is a discussion on Any readers? - Great books! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know that the art of ink on paper is becoming lost, and that words put together into one complete thought in the form of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Any readers? - Great books!

I know that the art of ink on paper is becoming lost, and that words put together into one complete thought in the form of a book may seem antiquated to some, but I have an appreciation for such things. I'm a young guy, 32, and I was never really in to reading, or studying for that matter, as a kid. School came fairly easy to me, and so I never cared to invest in something as time-consuming as a book.

But as I have become older reading is something that I have really learned to enjoy. It is a way to keep my mind active while still diverting myself from the stresses of life. Is there anyone else like me here?

If so, I thought it might be nice to start a conversation about great books that we have read recently. Now when I say great, I mean great; a book that would get four or five out of five stars if you were to rate it. The book must have no particular topic, just be something that most people, whether they are readers or not, would find interesting.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I just finished reading the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin via Hopyard's recommendation and was pretty fascinated by it, he was a very interesting man.

Next up is the biography of Alexander Hamilton, which is about 600 pages longer. Yikes.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I just finished a book called heroes proved written by Col. Oliver North. Col. North is a God-fearing patriot who has experienced more than most of us could ever dream too. I was really surprised at his ability to take his military and political experiences and combine them to create an entertaining novel.

Book takes place in 2032. The United States has progressed down its current path and become a very progressive nation. The President has taken unprecedented control, and many of the freedoms we take for granted today, including the first and second amendments, have been suspended. Anyone that does not fully comply with the government regulations, which are many, is considered anti-state, And labeled and Anarch.

This book involves current and future military technology and paints the picture of a country that is clearly ours in a few years. I give this a 4.25 Rating.

I read a lot, and have a number of favorite authors, that IMHO knock it out of the park with every new book. Rather than list the books, I'll list the authors, which is easier for me, as they've all written a lot of books:

John Sanford - The "Prey" Series, and also all of his books starring Virgil Flowers
    W.E.B. Griffin - All of his books, to include the Brotherhood of War, The Corps, Badge of Honor, Men at War Series.
    Robert B. Parker - The Spenser series books.
    Stuart Woods
    Tom Clancy
    Vince Flynn

This list will keep you reading for a year, if you're interested in the topics. Recommend you start at the first book of each series. Enjoy
    StevePVB and Hodad like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I just finished reading the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin via Hopyard's recommendation and was pretty fascinated by it, he was a very interesting man.

Next up is the biography of Alexander Hamilton, which is about 600 pages longer. Yikes.
    What was it you found most interesting about his life or experiences?

I'm an English teacher, and I probably read a book a week or more. Right now I'm enjoying The Age of Miracles. I just finished Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Loved Quiet, still deciding on Age of Miracles.

One that might be fun for post-apoc buffs is The Postmortal. It's about what happens to the world when a cure for natural death by aging is discovered. History folks might enjoy 1491: a history of the Americas before Columbus.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    I just finished a book called heroes proved written by Col. Oliver North.
    Book takes place in 2032. The United States has progressed down its current path and become a very progressive nation. The President has taken unprecedented control, and many of the freedoms we take for granted today, including the first and second amendments, have been suspended. Anyone that does not fully comply with the government regulations, which are many, is considered anti-state, And labeled and Anarch.
    That sounds great! I'm going to download that to my Kindle today. For some reason I thought his book was non-fiction...which I like but your description sounds really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    John Sanford - The "Prey" Series, and also all of his books starring Virgil Flowers
    W.E.B. Griffin - All of his books, to include the Brotherhood of War, The Corps, Badge of Honor, Men at War Series.
    Robert B. Parker - The Spenser series books.
    Stuart Woods
    Tom Clancy
    Vince Flynn
    I'm a big Vince Flynn fan. I think I've read almost all his books. They're like crack though, if I start reading one I can't put it down.

Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    One that might be fun for post-apoc buffs is The Postmortal. It's about what happens to the world when a cure for natural death by aging is discovered.
    That's going on my "download" list too!

Great thread! One of my all time favorite (fiction) books is "Shogun" by James Clavell.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; January 30th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    There are so many good authors out there OP. What interests you?

Nelson Demille is an EXCELLENT author and once you read one of his books you will be hooked. A number of movies have been made from hiw writing including the move The generals daughter.

Harold Coyle is also excellent but many of his books are in a series so you want to start off at the beginning.....Sword Point is a good read and a good place to start.

I too like most of the authors KSBR listed but not Tom Clancy. I find his writing style to be tedious.

Stephen Coonts and
    Dean Koontz also come to mind

Let us know what subject matter you want to read about and we will help you more that way. Also, I suggest going to your local public library and strolling around until something catches your fancy.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Re reading the OP I'll suggest just one book.

Plumb Island by Nelson Demille.

OK just one more

Term Limits by Vince Flynn.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here are some you should read if you want to speak to the 2nd Amendment:

1. Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federals Papers - Founding Fathers
    2. The Founders' Second Amendment - Stephen P. Halbrook
    3. Mexifornia: a State Becoming - Victor Davis Hanson (He has other books at CATO)

For relaxation try Vector Threat - by Chancy et al

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

From a post from Nov 2012 (link):

There is a lot of decent reading material in the world.

A small sliver of it might include some of the following ...

In the area of firearms and defense:

• In The Gravest Extreme -- Massad Ayoob
    • The Truth About Self Protection -- Massad Ayoob
    • Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America -- Gary Kleck
    • Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws -- Ken Starrett
    • How To Own A Gun & Stay Out Of Jail (Calif.) -- John Machtinger
    • That Every Man Be Armed: The Evolution Of A Constitutional Right, by Stephen P. Halbrook
    • Supreme Court Gun Cases: Two Centuries of Gun Rights Revealed, by David Kopel

In the area of decent books some might not know or have read:

• The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power, by Daniel Yergin
    • Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand -- about productive people bowing out of "the game" to force the hangers-on (aka, the "looters") to fend for themselves.
    • Aztec, by Gary Jennings -- about the last 50yrs of free Aztec society prior to the Conquistador invasion.
    • The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett -- about the building of a gothic cathedral, from the perspective of a mason and a prior/monk.
    • Shogun, by James Clavell -- about Europeans sailing into the Japan isles in the 17th Century and being forced to deal with the political/military intrigues they find there.
    • The Tenth Man, by Graham Greene -- about a man who survives occupied Paris in WWII.
    • The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay -- a wonderful coming of age story, about finding the strength within.
    • The Skystone (and 8 others in the Camulod series), by Jack Whyte -- about the ~100yr period at the end of the fall of Rome, from the perspective of several landed families in Britain who raise young Arthur to be King.
    • Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn -- about seeing what we're doing to the Earth from different eyes, the perspective of the animals.

Classic reads:

• The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    • Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
    • Dracula, by Bram Stoker
    • Doctor Zhivago, by Boris Pasternak
    • Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
    • The Divine Comedy, by Dante Alighieri
    • Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
    • The collected works of Shakespeare
    • The Republic, by Plato

Useful online source of classics: Project Gutenberg @ Gutenberg.org, including their Best Books Ever List.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a book in progress at all times so just some recent books:

Genesis-the creation, God's unfolding revelation of Himself and His covenant with us.
    Les Miserable-probably one of the greatest fictional heroes ever
    Escape From Camp 14-biography of the only known escapee from N. Korea's prison camps for political enemies; born into, raised in and final escape from prison

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    I'm an English teacher, and I probably read a book a week or more. Right now I'm enjoying The Age of Miracles. I just finished Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Loved Quiet, still deciding on Age of Miracles.

One that might be fun for post-apoc buffs is The Postmortal. It's about what happens to the world when a cure for natural death by aging is discovered. History folks might enjoy 1491: a history of the Americas before Columbus.
    Started reading this yesterday, it's really good!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Some great suggestions already. I'd add any books by Daniel Silva, Alex Berenson, Brad Thor and Lee Child

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links