Off topic: It is just propaganda or are there really this many shootings?

This is a discussion on Off topic: It is just propaganda or are there really this many shootings? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alright of course I know that on the streets people are shooting each other daily and we never hear about it. But do school shootings ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Off topic: It is just propaganda or are there really this many shootings?

Alright of course I know that on the streets people are shooting each other daily and we never hear about it. But do school shootings always happen like I have been seeing this past month and it just doesn't make the news and now they are just choosing using it for propaganda. Or are people just extra crazy this year?

one of the problems is the shooting on the streets are done by a group of people that you can not say anything bad about. but most school shooting are in a area that the people that go to the school are fair game to say anything about them. but we let this happen and now we got to live with it. the only way to stop/slow down the crime problem is to bring back the chain gang. put them to work cutting the right of way with sling blades in the hot summer sun. make jail; jail. not the three hots and a cot with tv/radio and good medical care that they get now. hard time use to be hard time. not now. fire up the chair and don't let that group hand around for 30 years playing the appeal game. when i was a kid in the 60's i saw the convicts on the chain gang cutting the right of way in the hot georgia sun. i knew that i did not want to one of them. kept my nose clean, got a job, made something of myself, did not asked the government for anything.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    It may be just supposition but to me it seems as if people have gotten crazier since the GCA of 1968, prior to that you could walk into any hardware store and buy anything you wanted or even mail-order guns no background checks or blessings from the government. Of course back them there was no Internet and instant worldwide dissemination of stories or information.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've noticed this too. My guess is that all the publicity in the recent shootings is inspiring a lot of copy-cats. There are a lot of losers out there who are looking to make a name for themselves, dead or alive, and stories of mass shootings is all it takes to push them over the edge. While I don't care much for censorship, I believe that if we weren't bombarded by all the frenetic media stories a lot of this would just blow over. Even Obama's political grandstanding could encourage unstable people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Never get out of the boat....

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "Or are people just extra crazy this year?"

I think they've gotten crazier since the last election! And like above, the media feeding frenzy is inspiring copycats.
    mano3 and Spirit51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    when i was a kid in the 60's i saw the convicts on the chain gang cutting the right of way in the hot georgia sun. i knew that i did not want to one of them. kept my nose clean, got a job, made something of myself, did not asked the government for anything.
    I recall that also. It is a great " Don't-let-this-happen-to-you" lesson.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As others have said, the media playing 24/7 coverage of these events for weeks on end seem to give these delusional people the idea that doing this will make them famous. The increase in school shootings gives the media more to cover, and so they do, which inspires more maniacs. Vicious cycle.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I think it's a combination of bad parenting, less religion/morality, and a lack of emphasis on mental health.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Every time we talk about crime and crime rates it always goes back to the same things, religion/morality, bad parenting, blah blah blah. If you go by the stats in the following link it appears that parenting must be better now than it was before. Crime rates were higher in the 70's than now which means folks born in the earlier part of the century to mid century were parenting worse than today. Some one explain to me the reason why crime was higher decades ago than now but it is bad parenting to blame for today's problems.

I am not saying bad parenting is not involved. Just saying that crime is lower compared to other times since 1960. I guess older folks forget about the 70's like it never happened.
    United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2011
    wdbailey likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    My comment applies to more than just the yearly crime statistics. Plus, I believe the OP was talking about school/mass shootings, specifically.

Something has gone wrong with our culture, and it is more pervasive than just gun violence.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I think we have given all the power to the dregs of society. They are abusing the power for personal gain and could care less about this once great country. They do not want to give up the power. They get out and vote. If they don't get their way they are vocal and the media gives them attention. Once they degrade the country to the point where society can no longer support them things will get very ugly. If they think an elected offiacal is going to do anything about the problem they don't vote for him. The courts for the most part refuse to punish them. We just a guy here south Mississippi that was sent to jail for 40 months. He was a gang member that was involved in the drug trade and he was purchasing guns for convicted felons. This was his first conviction so he was able to purchase guns for his gang banger buddies. In my opinion 25 years day for day would have been better. He will be out of prison in no time. My guess that as decent member of society that if I commited the crimes he did I would be in prison for ever.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It does seem like there are more school shootings than ever before. I smell something rotten. But anyway. theres someone out there that wants there little bit of fame. So there gonna one up the last shooter. Ive been carrying more in the last several months than since Ive had my permit to carry. Its just getting to crazy out there folks. Stay safe and carry on.

The libral news media is exploiting everything firearm related........how many died in car wrecks today ?
    Sandpiper and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    I've noticed this too. My guess is that all the publicity in the recent shootings is inspiring a lot of copy-cats. There are a lot of losers out there who are looking to make a name for themselves, dead or alive, and stories of mass shootings is all it takes to push them over the edge. While I don't care much for censorship, I believe that if we weren't bombarded by all the frenetic media stories a lot of this would just blow over. Even Obama's political grandstanding could encourage unstable people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do.
    I absolutely agree with the above statement. Some people who feel neglected will do anything for attention and this is the hot topic right now.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    The libral news media is exploiting everything firearm related........how many died in car wrecks today ?
    the media needs the "smoke screen" Lots of bad news on the political front needs to be "hidden". Bad economic news, unemployment numbers,confirmation hearings,immigration. You are going to hear about every gun that goes off. Least they will have to talk about the big football game for a day or so.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links