Gypsy asks for a fight

Gypsy asks for a fight

This is a discussion on Gypsy asks for a fight within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This guy's speaking English. Seriously....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Gypsy asks for a fight

Gypsy asks for a fight

This guy's speaking English.
    Seriously.

VIP Member
    That's hilarious! Sounds Irish to me though.
    DMan likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's hilarious! Sounds Irish to me though.
    I believe you are correct. In my neck of the woods we have 'gypsies' (they preferred to be called travelers), but they are decedents of Irish immigrants. They generally keep to themselves and have their own separate community and culture.

Although I've never heard anyone talk like that.

I have actually encountered real Gypsies back in the 1970's at a large independent grocery store where I was a Stock Clerk.

They came on the parking lot in pickups with campers, R/V's and some cars, in a long caravan type line. They parked that line facing the Avenue for a quick get away. Most of the vehicles had out of state license plates.

The men stayed with the caravan vehicles, motors running while the women and kids came into the store, about 15 to 20 of them. They were darker complected, looked like Italians, Greeks or other Eastern Europeans. They had a thick almost Slavic accent. The women wore highly colourful cloths and were coverd with jewelery and thick make up. The kids, all boys were dressed much like normal for that time. The women would wander all over the store asking questions of what aisle was "such and such" and how much is this etc. The kids stole the place blind with whatever they could carry.

Our Store Manager called the Police, but in 10 minutes tops they were in, stole everything not nailed down, out the door and gone like the wind. We never saw them again and the last report they were in a long caravan on I-64 headed towards Kentucky.

The other "Gypsies" are indeed a group called "Travelers" and they are people who have been wandering about for decades doing odd jobs and ripping people off on those jobs then disappearing. I read an article on them in an AARP publication warning folks not to hire these people. They have a "language" unto themselves called a "Cant" and it is basically an English Slang.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I have actually encountered real Gypsies back in the 1970's at a large independent grocery store where I was a Stock Clerk.

They came on the parking lot in pickups with campers, R/V's and some cars, in a long caravan type line. They parked that line facing the Avenue for a quick get away. Most of the vehicles had out of state license plates.

The men stayed with the caravan vehicles, motors running while the women and kids came into the store, about 15 to 20 of them. They were darker complected, looked like Italians, Greeks or other Eastern Europeans. They had a thick almost Slavic accent. The women wore highly colourful cloths and were coverd with jewelery and thick make up. The kids, all boys were dressed much like normal for that time. The women would wander all over the store asking questions of what aisle was "such and such" and how much is this etc. The kids stole the place blind with whatever they could carry.

Our Store Manager called the Police, but in 10 minutes tops they were in, stole everything not nailed down, out the door and gone like the wind. We never saw them again and the last report they were in a long caravan on I-64 headed towards Kentucky.

The other "Gypsies" are indeed a group called "Travelers" and they are people who have been wandering about for decades doing odd jobs and ripping people off on those jobs then disappearing. I read an article on them in an AARP publication warning folks not to hire these people. They have a "language" unto themselves called a "Cant" and it is basically an English Slang.
    That wasn't gypsies--that was the annual migration of all the northern snowbirds coming to my neck of the woods.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    There's a Gypsy family in our town that does driveway sealing...and have been doing it for 20 years now. They're pretty darn good and have managed to turn a sterotype into a legit business. I'm sure they are a disappointment to their Gypsy peeps.
    AngryBadger417 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member

Gypsy asks for a fight

There's a Gypsy family in our town that does driveway sealing...and have been doing it for 20 years now. They're pretty darn good and have managed to turn a sterotype into a legit business. I'm sure they are a disappointment to their Gypsy peeps.
    I thought WV had lots 'o gypsies? Or maybe that's just the area of WV that I've spent time in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

They are called "Gypsy", but the actual term would be Romani and is also the name of the language they speak. They are a wandering people that really do not have a country they call home. We have them in the U.S.

The English term Gypsy (or Gipsy) originates from the Middle English gypcian, short for Egipcien
    The Americas are also home to large numbers of Romani. There are an estimated one million Roma in the United States
    The one's I have seen are most likely descended from Romani immigrants. The guy in the video isn't really the true version of a Romani Gypsy. He sounds like he has a Gaelic accent, possibly a corrupted Irish dialect. I would not label him as a Gypsy.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It's actually not called 'cant', it's a cant. A cant is a dialect that is used to exclude and include people in the conversation. It's a bit more than slang, because the words become increasingly coded.

The boys in A Clockwork Orange use a cant. So does Pitt in Snatch. It's more than jargon, it's more than slang.

I hate 'em, I can never understand them!
    Last edited by CanuckQue; February 1st, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I thought WV had lots 'o gypsies? Or maybe that's just the area of WV that I've spent time in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I hear.

VIP Member
    That's what I hear.
    I was down in the southern area close to the WV/VA border. I got to hear a lot of gypsy stories!
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    There was some crazy Gypsy "reality" show filmed in my area. They got married at the courthouse. Funny thing is, NO ONE knows who they are, where they live or seemingly anything about them.
    Everytime some ridiculous show turns up it's located in WV. WV has become the place that Hollywood loves to mock, probably because they voted for a felon over the Pres in the 2012 primary.

TX...were you in the Blacksburg area?

VIP Member
    He's just a drunken Brit acting stupid. I turned it off.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    I played it and now I have little drops of spit running down the inside of my laptop screen.

I was almost pick pocketed by a gypsy in Berlin. Luckily my professor was on to their scam and scared them away.

I have a bad taste in my mouth for gypsies since that encounter.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links