How paranoid are you?

This is a discussion on How paranoid are you? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In my daily travels conversations with colleagues and friends usually migrate to the current state of affairs and our rights being enfringed, firearms, etc. The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: How paranoid are you?

How paranoid are you?

In my daily travels conversations with colleagues and friends usually migrate to the current state of affairs and our rights being enfringed, firearms, etc. The levels of concern or, in some cases paranoia range from not at all to run for the hills I hear the choppers coming.
    I consider myself pretty optimistic and reasonable, but my reluctance to share too much specific details or any pictures online might qualify as being paranoid.
    It seems most on the forum are happy to share pictures of their firearms and I enjoy viewing. I'm just curious what other behaviors of excessive caution might be out there.

2. Remove Ads

Why are you asking? Are you watching me right now?
    Jeanlouise, Lnafree, Lish and 7 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I'm not paranoid, but I do try to remain alert as to what's happening around me (unlike the lady who walked into the side of my parked car while talking on her cell phone).
    Rock and Glock and Spirit51 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm moderately careful about sharing information about my various possessions and lifestyles. If someone was determined, I suppose they could go back through several thousand posts of mine and piece together information about my armory, but I'm not going to make it easy for them. I'm still aghast that some folks feel compelled to list every gun they own as part of their sig line.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Not paranoid but hopefully aware enough not to walk into the side of someones car.
    Rock and Glock and Spirit51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Not paranoid but hopefully aware enough not to walk into the side of someones car.
    You would have had to have been there. I was sitting in the car at the time.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

I do think there should be a healthy level of distance between what one posts and one's real life.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Why are you asking? Are you watching me right now?
    Yes, would you please put some pants on already!
    atctimmy, Brad426 and Ghost1958 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Yes, would you please put some pants on already!
    Wow! You really do know Brad!
    Brad426 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm still aghast that some folks feel compelled to list every gun they own as part of their sig line.
    \

I think that all the time!
    I don't consider myself too paranoid but I do have several preparations and believe life could be completely different tommorrow from what it is today. I have a few firearms that were bought through private sales and for some reason, somewhere in my head that gives me a little comfort. I have a tough time putting a whole lot of faith that things in this country are going to continue stay as they are now, let alone see any kind of improvement.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.
    Is it still paranoid if they ARE out to get you?
    JDE101 likes this.

IMO, not at all paranoid. Though given the state of morals and technology, I am not surprised by much and imagine many things are possible if only the will to do so exists. Given the simple reality of being out of the limelight, many do indeed believe the expedient thing is to attempt it first and (only if forced) apologize later.

Paranoia generally ends up meaning preparations/steps deemed "out there" merely because someone thinks they are. For those who've seen examples of such things occurring, one person's "paranoia" is simply another's reasonable preparations and precautions.
    atctimmy, JDE101 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Guns? All of mine were stolen out of my truck a long time ago. I only reference what I use to do, before they were all stolen. After they were stolen, I haven't bought any more guns...especially any of those EVIL assault weapons. Did I mention that all of my guns were stolen?
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Guns? All of mine were stolen out of my truck a long time ago. I only reference what I use to do, before they were all stolen. After they were stolen, I haven't bought any more guns...especially any of those EVIL assault weapons. Did I mention that all of my guns were stolen?
    I feel your pain, Gunny. Mine were all lost during a freak boating accident.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My wife is a detective who spends a lot of time online! I'm always amaised at the things she can find out about people, where they live, who their friends are, where they will be at a given time! all thanks to FB. She also knows when Ive been looking at cars, boats, RVs, etc... When you give your name to "some" sales people they run your credit, or check out your social media to see if you are a real buyer or a looky- loo. There are also ways to grab your info off your cell phone just by being near you. Ive actually confronted a couple of sales people who did this to me. So knowing what I do I'm careful about what I put out but not paranoid. I don't really care who knows what guns I own, I only use one credit card for online purchases and its limit is what I have put in that account, ETC... You just have to set your risk limit at what you can stand and be aware that others may try to take advantage of you. DR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links