You Were Born When? - Page 2

You Were Born When?

This is a discussion on You Were Born When? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was born in 1978. Nothing special - fashion was terrible in the 80s, I watched the Challenger blow up on tv in school with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: You Were Born When?

VIP Member
    I was born in 1978. Nothing special - fashion was terrible in the 80s, I watched the Challenger blow up on tv in school with my classmates, wore a lot of neon, then bobbed my head to Nirvana in high school while wearing a Metallica tshirt.

Thank goodness for modern obstetrics, because if I was born any other time, I'd likely be dead along with my son. And history hasn't been too kind to women in general, so I'll take being happy with the relatively boring decades I grew up in.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Re: You Were Born When?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I was born in 1978. Nothing special - fashion was terrible in the 80s, I watched the Challenger blow up on tv in school with my classmates, wore a lot of neon, then bobbed my head to Nirvana in high school while wearing a Metallica tshirt.

Thank goodness for modern obstetrics, because if I was born any other time, I'd likely be dead along with my son. And history hasn't been too kind to women in general, so I'll take being happy with the relatively boring decades I grew up in.
    +1.....what Betty said. '78 as well

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs

I was born in '91. Looking back, growing up in the 50s seems like it would have been my kinda time, I would have also liked to have been around in the early days of the colonies. The exploration and vast unknown seems like my kind of lifestyle.

I'm perfectly happy with being a 90s kid. Anything else, and I wouldn't be where I am now.

Every time I stop think about it, it seems longer and longer ago.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

9 11...1948. Used to be a pretty great day. Not so much now.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

I was born in 1968. Based on my rather thorough and lifelong love of 60s music, art, culture, cars, etc. I'd say I was born about 18 years too late. Even my daughter said today as we were riding in my 1962 VW Bug painted with flowers and peace signs, "Daddy, you were born in the wrong time."

But, I'm very happy with when I was born. I've experienced a lot of great things. Fortunate to have great parents and sisters. And I got to ride the 60s wave through the 70s and 80s on my older sisters' coat tails as they were both still stuck there too. The way I look at it, the fact that I was a hippy through the 70s and 80s meant I wasn't like everyone else. I've always marched to the beat of a different instrument.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would like to be apart of the greatest generation. Soooooooooooo lets say 1922.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Born 1/06/52. I can feel some of the same things as gunfan. I have not lost any children , but I did lose my wife six months ago. The Reagan years were great and I remember watching the moon landing at the foot of my fathers bed. I can remember the first color T.V. I saw. It was my cousin's. We would go to his house on Sunday night to watch the Wonderful world of color (Disney). What a blast that was.No, I can't think of another time I would have wanted to live in.
    We bought our first color television in the mid 1960's and watch The Wonderful world Of Color (Disney) and enjoyed it. Many of today's youth won't ever have the joy of shooting when it was greatly appreciated and revered. Daddy was UDT/Navy Rifle Team BM1 and a survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor. That half of ship sank from beneath him, having been blown into the harbor that fateful morning and having 7 more ships sank from beneath him made me appreciate "the greatest generation." (Dad also went on to serve in Korea.)

Believe me, I understand the meaning of "service."

Scott
    Last edited by gunfan; February 4th, 2013 at 02:11 AM.

February 1942. Grew up when kids still could play "cowboys and indians" with cap guns and Red Ryder BBguns (unloaded, when playing cowboys and indians) and play "war", where we were shooting the "krauts" and the "Jap monkeys". Not "politically correct" today, but right after WWII, Japs and Germans weren't real popular. Teenager in the '50s, were almost all boys carried a knife all the time--even to school--and nobody thought a thing of it. They were TOOLS!!! I was on a Junior NRA rifle team when I was 13 and walked, with my rifle, about a dozen blocks from my house to the YMCA downtown where there was a range in the basement, and nobody freaked out and called the cops!!!! Most of my friends in high school owned guns and hunted on Saturdays during hunting season. Joined the army in 1961, was in during the Cuban Missle Crises. Viet Nam was considered good duty when I was in--only "advisors" there at the time. Got out of the Army in '64 and went to college. Saw the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement, womens-rights movement, and the hippies. Grew up when kids showed respect to their elders and to teachers, and when in college when the "new" theories of child rearing came out! I think many, if not most, of society's problems today are a result of Dr. Spock and his "theories" about child rearing! Lack of discipline, lack of respect for authority, not taking responsibility for ones actions, etc., all stem from his "quack" idea in my opinion. I've lived thru alot, seen alot, and hope to see a whole lot more. Wouldn't change when I was born for any other time, I don't think. 'Cept I sure would like to see what the world is going to be like in another hundred years or two!!!
    msgt/ret, BugDude and gunfan like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Whatís my born on date you say?

hmmm Ö let me see Ö tíwas ---- uhammm

What was your question? Getin old & my memory tanít what it was when I was young --- donít cha know

I think I was born about the right time. Sometimes you just have to be reminded of it.
    It's not been a bad ride so far.

Do You Remember These? - YouTube
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    I believe I'm satisfied with 1952.

However, I'm curious about how it would have been in other era's. Looking too far in the past would depress me, and looking toward the future sort of scares me.
    BugDude likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    ... Looking back, growing up in the 50s seems like it would have been my kinda tame...
    Tame is good.

Often of a Saturday morning as a kid I would announce to my mom that I was off on a bike hike: she knew that I was somewhere within ten miles, but no idea of where or when I would be back.

Also, at 17 or 18 I open carried my dad's (unloaded) Police 38 to rehearsals and in a high school play - I played Sgt. Krupke in West Side Story. NO THOUGHT as to the legality, wisdom, or prudence of doing so, by me, my folks, the drama teacher, or anyone else.

Not today.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

06/23/44 Wouldn't trade for anything. Three years flying around Vietnam in a C-130 as a Crew Chief. 5 kids 17 grand kids and 2 great grand kids.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Im good with 1967.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links