You Were Born When? - Page 3

You Were Born When?

This is a discussion on You Were Born When? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1959 ... Glad I was able to participate in the "muscle car" era. Just missed Viet Nam but still played a role in the military. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: You Were Born When?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    1959 ... Glad I was able to participate in the "muscle car" era. Just missed Viet Nam but still played a role in the military. One son, no grandkids yet. Looking forward to retirement.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The advantage of reincarnation--been there/done that, over and over again.
    Doghandler and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by framedcraig1 View Post
    9 11...1948. Used to be a pretty great day. Not so much now.
    11 September 1956. It was a Tuesday as I recall.

Yes,framedcraig1, those "people" ruined OUR day, but I think there might have been some payback here and there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I was born in 1956. It's been a good ride so far but if I'd had a choice I would chose 1800. I would have been a fur trapper in the Rockies and an explorer like my great-great-great granfather, John Bozeman (for whom the Bozeman Trail is named.)

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I was born before:
    Color television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox copies, contact lenses, video games, Frisbees, and the pill.

There were no:
    credit cards, laser beams, or ball-point pens.

Man had not yet invented:
    pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air, and
    man hadn't yet walked on the moon!

My wife and I got married first, and then lived together. Every family had a real Father and Mother living at home together. Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir." And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title of, "Sir." If you got in trouble at school and was sent to the Principles office. You got double-swats! Paddled at school, and paddled at home!! No child-abuse issues back then. Just plan, you misbehave you get; discipline and punished.

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy. Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong, and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions. Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent. Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with
    your cousins. Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started. Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends — not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's. There were no electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk. The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam. Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5 &10-cent (5 and dime) stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel. It only cost a nickel to buy enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Ford Falcon Sedan for $600, but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
    “grass" was mowed, coke" was a cold drink, "pot" was something your Mother cooked in, and "rock music" was
    your Grandmother's lullaby. "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office, "chip" meant a piece of wood, "hardware"
    was found in a hardware store, and "software" wasn't even a word.

We were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. We volunteered to protect our precious country. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How YOUNG do you think I am??

I was born in 1983 and would have loved to live in the 20's. But all in all I loved being a 90's teenager.
    Becky
    XDs .45
    Nano 9mm

I may be a girl, but I can protect myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I posted this inquiry on another forum and thought I'd ask y'all?

I believe the average life span for our ancestors back then was around 40 years old. Look at where we are today with an average life span of about 70 years ago! Even incurable disease bad pain can be managed and bearable in today's modern medicine.
    Have to remember that age - 40 - includes infant and child mortality (still seems too young though) . Once you made it to 9 or so, survival time went way up. So, many people were living past 60. Average life expectancy in 1900 I think was 60, including infant mortality.

Another 78 here. Wouldn't change it.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I was born in the late 70ís but should have been born in the late 1800ís. I have always been drawn to that era and even own a house that was built in 1889. This was an era of true freedom before the tyrannical events of 1913.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    1955 here. Pretty happy with the way things turned out. As they say at work, "Can't complain. Nobody listens. So, I guess I won't."
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links