You Were Born When?

You Were Born When?

This is a discussion on You Were Born When? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted this inquiry on another forum and thought I'd ask y'all? If you could have been born in a different year in history, what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: You Were Born When?

You Were Born When?

I posted this inquiry on another forum and thought I'd ask y'all?

If you could have been born in a different year in history, what year would that have been and why?

Watching all of these survival and Alaskan programs over the years on TV, reading about them in books, etc., my wife asked me, why do you watch them and do you wish you were born back then?

That was an interesting question from her and I responded with...

Yep, I was born 125-175 years too late. I would have loved to live in the times of exploration and the founding of our nation. I would have loved to explore the wilderness on my own, free of society, government intrusion, taxes and a hectic life. I would have enjoyed hunting and trapping and living the nomadic life of a wilderness pioneer and learning the skills of the Native American Indian.

In my sturdy and younger years I thought of myself as invincible, hard and up to the task of being born back in the day. That is until...

I got a few broken bones, toothaches and really sick! Then I appreciated the modern age we now all enjoy.

Can you imagine having a toothache(s) and little personal hygiene (tooth brush for instance) back 150 years ago or more and living with it? Ever tried to sleep or keep your thoughts with multiple toothaches or an unset broken bone for days, weeks and / or months, lifetime maybe? I tried years ago on a Saturday morning pulling an abscessed tooth with modern vice grips and pliers, because I couldn't get a dental appointment until the following Wednesday for an emergency. It wasn't pretty and it made it worse.

Getting bored and going to the local town for a game of cards and having a few too many, loosing the farm and the shirt off your back, then submitting to the little gal becking you upstairs for a little something. Three days later, having to endure an ineffective injection of Mercury up the urethria of Mr. Pee Pee. OUCH!

My first born had the umbilical cord wrapped around his body and with each contraction, it was becoming a race between life and death. But with modern technology, equipment and modern medicine, it was recognised and corrected. Can you imagine the frequent heartache of loosing a child during mid-wife birthing in the old days?

I believe the average life span for our ancestors back then was around 40 years old. Look at where we are today with an average life span of about 70 years ago! Even incurable disease bad pain can be managed and bearable in today's modern medicine.

So, with the years accumulating on me and my body at this old age, much older than 40, I'm blessed to live in the day and age I was predisposed to live in?

If you had a choice, what year in American history would you choose to be born and where would you want to live?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

VIP Member
    I'm glad I was born when I was and can just read about what it was like before antibiotics and vaccinations.

No thanks.

You know what they say...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I think that's true no matter what year you were born in.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I was born in 1962. And Im comfortable with that era. The times the technology and just that time frame was fun to me. I just wish I knew back then what I know know I would have done things different and be a lot better off than now.
    tcox4freedom, rottkeeper and OD* like this.

I was born 1955 but might have liked being a teenager during the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I was born 1955 but might have liked being a teenager during the 50s.
    '55 would have been a good year to be born. You would have missed Vietnam, which I guess is a plus, but you could have rocked out in the late 60's and 70's, which would have been a blast.

I was born in 1990..I feel like it's a good year. Kinda bummed I missed the truly cheap days of guns and ammo.

I don't think I would change. I saw TV the first time, then in color TV. I saw the assignation of a President. The birth of Civil rights. My Dads service as a tail gunner. Man walking on the moon. The birth of the Mustang. Hot girls of the 70's. My wonderful wife and then I meet my son. The niners loosing in the Superbowl. I'm glad I was born when I was. Good and bad. I've seen a lot of history. I hope there's more good to come.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Would have liked to have been born about the turn of the 20th century. I think I would have really enjoyed spending my 20's in the 1920's.

Born on 12/01/1954. Missed being shipped off to Vietnam by 5 months, yet still served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam Conflict. I saw the assassination of JFK, the deaths of Sir Winston Churchill (1965) as well as the presidency and the death of the greatest that ever lived (Ronald Wilson Reagan.) Man landing on the moon, Watergate, the William Jefferson Clinton scandal (and impeachment.) The life and death of a wife and some of my own children. I have witnessed some wonders in my time, both marvelous as well as pathetic.

I just pray that we can get out from under this bastiage that's in the White House today.

Scott
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Ex Member
    Happy with where I am at.

Born 1/06/52. I can feel some of the same things as gunfan. I have not lost any children , but I did lose my wife six months ago. The Reagan years were great and I remember watching the moon landing at the foot of my fathers bed. I can remember the first color T.V. I saw. It was my cousin's. We would go to his house on Sunday night to watch the Wonderful world of color (Disney). What a blast that was.No, I can't think of another time I would have wanted to live in.

Distinguished Member
    I was born 10/05/1948. I was a little boy in the 50s and a teenager in the 60s. Doesn't get much better than that!
    tcox4freedom, dV8r and BugDude like this.

VIP Member
    Born 1950, still remember the dreaded summer cold and the kids wearing braces afterward and also all of us lining up for the new Salk vaccine. I remember the race riots on TV and the assignations of both Kennedys and MLK. And when we lived in Cocoa Beach watching the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo launches live from the play ground at school. Seen and done a lot of things over the years and wouldn’t trade my experiences for anything.
    BugDude, tcox4freedom and gunfan like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I was born in april 1941. I was able to participate in the Viet Nam action and a few others. I don't regret any of it. I got to participate in the cold war in a rather exciting way.

I would like to have been an observer in the late 18th century, but I don't think I would have liked to be a participant.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

I was born in 1991. (young guy alert!)

If I had to choose a different time period, it would probably be a mountain man in the earlier days of the US. 1 on 1 with mother nature...in my opinion there is no greater challenge.

But, like has already been stated, I like where I am now! Besides, it's fun being my age right now because I get to show the grumpy older folks that not everyone my age is a loser!
    tcox4freedom and Paymeister like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links