Alabama Boy RESCUED! Killer Dead:

This is a discussion on Alabama Boy RESCUED! Killer Dead: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If they were in a bunker, how did the authorities know the guy had a gun, and that the child was in danger? If anyone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Alabama Boy RESCUED! Killer Dead:

VIP Member
    If they were in a bunker, how did the authorities know the guy had a gun, and that the child was in danger?

If anyone was going to die, I'm glad it was the right person this time.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    If they were in a bunker, how did the authorities know the guy had a gun, and that the child was in danger?
    Well, the fact that he shot and killed a bus driver right before taking the child to his "bunker" is a pretty good clue that he had a gun. Now, as to how they knew the child was in "imminent danger," I can't say for certain, but I can make an educated guess that they were in contact with him and that he may have made verbal indications that he was going to harm the boy in the immediate future. Alternatively, there are many ways to gain surreptitious surveillance of a structure - especially when you're FBI HRT and have the military on hand as "technical advisers." It's very possible that they had some sort of eyes-on inside the bunker. It's also possible that the BG exposed all or part of himself to "normal" observation at some point.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    I'm betting the had some sort of camera looking into the bunker
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Glad the boy is ok. And one more bg is off the streets. And it proves that firearms do save lives and not just do evil things.

I'm glad that the boy is safe.

This line in the linked story is the one that disturbs me.

Neighbors and officials had described Dykes as a survivalist with "anti-government" views.

The media seems to be rapidly turning that into an excuse to come and get you.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Sounds like they used an Explosive entry and it gave them the shock and awe they needed to to take him out before his brain processed the threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    That dirtbag got exactly what needed to happen to him.
    thephanatik and msgt/ret like this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I am sorry that this man went off the deep end. Sadly he had to "snap," kill someone, and take the young boy hostage. He had to die. I am glad it ended the way it did.

Scott

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Glad the boy is ok. And one more bg is off the streets. And it proves that firearms do save lives and not just do evil things.
    True, but in this case it only proves firearms can save lives when in governmental hands. I'm glad this event had a happy ending, but I would have much preferred to have heard that the family whose car he shot at took him out with return fire, or that the bus driver had successfully defended them all with his own gun. If so, it never would have had to come to this.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, the fact that he shot and killed a bus driver right before taking the child to his "bunker" is a pretty good clue that he had a gun. Now, as to how they knew the child was in "imminent danger," I can't say for certain, but I can make an educated guess that they were in contact with him and that he may have made verbal indications that he was going to harm the boy in the immediate future. Alternatively, there are many ways to gain surreptitious surveillance of a structure - especially when you're FBI HRT and have the military on hand as "technical advisers." It's very possible that they had some sort of eyes-on inside the bunker. It's also possible that the BG exposed all or part of himself to "normal" observation at some point.
    I thought I read a few days ago that the pipe they were communicating through had a circumference of 4". Perhaps that alone allowed them to observe the guy and see him ready his gun - or pick it up - whatever he did.

Hard to know - they're being very tight-lipped about the entry and it was stated somewhere tonight that the reason had to do with wanting to perhaps use the same techniques in future and similar situations. So they want to not publish how they did it. Makes sense (though I'd like to know more myself).

From what I read the neighbors heard a loud explosion then rifle fire. It would seem they either had manged to get c4 or the like rigged onto the door if it was that sturdy without him knowing or the door was weak enough they used the usual flash and crash entry using a flash bang.

I have noticed that the media seems to be highlighting his anti government views somehow to the him being a murderer and kidnapper. Quite a leap to connect the two seems to me.

Glad the boy is out safe. I was about to give up that he would shoot himself and the child.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Snapping is fine; off the deep end is fine. Just so long as you don't harm others in the process. This guy went over the line ... and got taken down for it. A big kudos to the folks involved in resolving the situation and helping to get the kid back alive.

Hopefully the kid wasn't too abused. At minimum, he's going to have a rough thing to think about for the rest of his life.

Proposed: that the kidnapper's "pelt" be staked to a tree and his head mounted on a pike as warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Even as the hostage situation continued Monday morning, plenty of police were on hand as schools in neighboring Ozark, Alabama, reopened for the first time since the incident began.

Dale County schools remained closed but were to reopen on Tuesday, the district said.
    Strange, that a whole school district in the area and neighboring areas were shut down, despite it being only a lone idiot who was contained/cornered.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Snapping is fine; off the deep end is fine. Just so long as you don't harm others in the process. This guy went over the line ... and got taken down for it. A big kudos to the folks involved in resolving the situation and helping to get the kid back alive.

Hopefully the kid wasn't too abused. At minimum, he's going to have a rough thing to think about for the rest of his life.

Proposed: that the kidnapper's "pelt" be staked to a tree and his head mounted on a pike as warning to others.

Strange, that a whole school district in the area and neighboring areas were shut down, despite it being only a lone idiot who was contained/cornered.
    It seems odd, but it's one of those political things, and had a school NOT shut down (like the others do)...there'd be bad print in the local press.
    I know this for a fact.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The news is saying this morning that some kind of "hidden camera" was used. Maybe a fiber optic camera lowered down through the 4" pipe?

I'm so happy that little boy got out alive. It was gut wrenching to hear that he was crying for his Mother. If anyone is going to need therapy after this incident, it's probably her.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I'm betting the had some sort of camera looking into the bunker
    You are right. That was reported today - how they got it in there so the killer wouldn't know it they were mute about. Report also said they had to go in from the top and down a stairs exposing their legs to possible shots and watching so rounds wouldn't ricochet - all this while throwing stun, flash grenades. Not easy that raid, least it sounds really tough to pull off.

Hope somehow the boy didn't have to see the guy killed - horrible memory for anyone to live with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links