Any photographers here?

This is a discussion on Any photographers here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep I know about the resources for purchasing and all about grey market import items. Never touch them. thanks This was good info and I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any photographers here?

Yep I know about the resources for purchasing and all about grey market import items. Never touch them. thanks

This was good info and I appreciate it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Continuous shooting to capture jumping etc.
    Ok, you are definitely going to want to look for a couple of things.

Number one is going to be a fast lens. By fast I am talking about the maximum aperture. You are going to want something with a fixed 2.8. Avoid anything with a variable aperture.

Secondly, any camera body with a higher maximum ISO is going to be beneficial.

Also, it's worth understanding how much image stabilization works and how it might help you with your night shots. It doesn't do anything for the movement of your subject but it does help control/eliminate camera movement, so unless you are always shooting off a tripod, you can squeeze a couple extra shutter speeds out of an IS lens that you can't do without. Assuming you are in a telephoto environment, this can be especially important because you need increasingly faster shutters the longer out you are. I don't know anything about Nikon's IS offerings but even though they are pricey, they could help out dramatically if you are forced to hand hold your camera.

In all honesty, if you want to stick with Nikon and all the lenses stay interchangeable amongst your model and new offerings, I'd invest in your lens first. I realize that a new camera may have some flashy new gadgets but, as they say, lenses are forever. Even if you get another one or two ISO settings out of a body, if you continue to have to shoot at 5.6, you won't see as much shooting range as you would if you had a fixed 2.8. I understand you won't get the faster burst mode off your current body, but the way I'd look at it, if it were me, is I'd be looking for one good image as opposed to a string of 7 that all have the same handicap. I do understand the desire to upgrade the body though, and it's old enough that you'll get some decent new features.

I can't really speak to anything specifically Nikon because I shoot Canon, so I don't know much about the Nikon line. I can say that Canon or Nikon will easily get you the gear level you need. Shooting this sort of stuff, especially at night, takes practice (and lots of trial and error). Also, don't discount used equipment. You might be able to pick up a decent lens and body on the used market and then you'll have everything upgraded at once.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I shoot with a Nikon D7000 currently, and my favorite lens is the 18-200 VR. Very fast set up, and does everything you'd want it to do. Isn't cheap, but worth it. Moved here from the Nikon D40, which is kinda where you are now.

One of the features I love about the camera is the dual SD cards. Don't think any other cameras are doing this yet, or if so, I'm not aware of it.

Like Canon's too, but ergonomics on the Nikon are better for me.

Good luck. It is a lot of fun.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

If I understand right dual SD cards are found in pro level cameras and the D7000 was kind of unique in offering it.

So the question becomes, do I want the sealed body and more pro level features of the D7000 and pay a little more or do I save the difference and get the D5200 and put it toward a f2.8 lens?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    If I understand right dual SD cards are found in pro level cameras and the D7000 was kind of unique in offering it.

So the question becomes, do I want the sealed body and more pro level features of the D7000 and pay a little more or do I save the difference and get the D5200 and put it toward a f2.8 lens?
    That is a decision only you can make. Look at BH and see the features of each camera body you are looking at and see if they have features you cannot live without.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Here is a site you may find helpful Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School I receive a daily email with links and articles. Today's email was about keeping your memory cards healthy How To Keep Your Memory Cards Healthy
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm still trying to figure out how to install the Magicube on my Instamatic.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Damn Im out of touch,all I heard was blub blub blub blub

I shoot with a Nikon D3S and Nikon D4
    Current lens setup is a 24-70 F2.8, a 70-200 F2.8, 14-24 F2.8 and a fixed 50 1.4.
    Out of all those lenses, I used the 24-70 the most followed by the 70-200. Depending on what I am shooting. The 14-24 is a fun lens if I am just out and about and the 50 makes for great portraits. If you have the coin, I would HIGHLY suggest getting fixed prime lenses. The clarity and quality from them is AMAZING! My first DSLR was a Nikon D300S and even that was an amazing camera. And as for sealed bodies, my camera has seen rotor wash from helicopters in the desert and ocean spray from being on boats and it has held together and never skipped a beat. I can not say the same for other cameras that have taken the abuse mine have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links