Any photographers here?

Any photographers here?

This is a discussion on Any photographers here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thought I'd give this a shot here and see if anyone is into this hobby. I am in the market for a new DSLR but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any photographers here?

Any photographers here?

Thought I'd give this a shot here and see if anyone is into this hobby.

I am in the market for a new DSLR but I am somewhat dumbfounded by all the new tech out there. I have a Nikon D50 but am trying to shoot some action shots and it's just too slow. Need something faster. I'm not heavily invested in lenses for it. Only have the 18-55 that it came with and a 55-200 VR that I purchased separately years ago. I'm a little lost on what I should be looking for. I have looked at the Nikon D3200 and D5200 as well as the Canon T4i and came away with the impression that reviewers think the D5200 is the best of the 3 but I have no real understanding of the why. I'm not a professional by any means, but I am not necessarily new either. I understand how to get a good shot, but need a better camera for the action shots and better low light capability. Video isn't a primary concern but I understand most good DSLRs these days do video as well. Also, should I be using a 18-200 or 18-300 instead of multiple lenses? Is it silly these days to use two different lenses like I currently have?

I guess since some things have changed since I bought the D50 I haven't kept up.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Any photographers here?

Get good glass, like a Nikon 70-200 f2.8

Glass over body 90% of the time.

I can help more when I get off my phone.:D

Posted from Tapatalk on my Galaxy Note II while using the restroom.

VIP Member

Any photographers here?

Nikon D5200. Upgrade the lense get the DVDs about 4 hours instructions and you will be a pro!
    The video on my Nikon stinks. But great photos.
    Don't get one for the video part.
    I use mine at the range on the lake and for ice hockey indoors all needing fast action lots of light lense.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

The 70-300 better than the 55-200 by a good margin? I understand the 55-200 is a bit soft to some when wide open at 200 so I could, if I needed to have more sharpness, get a lens with higher max focal length like a 70-300 and shoot at 200mm to get better sharpness.

BTW in case it was not very clear, the 55-200 I have is the Nikon 4-5.6 ED VR.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Thought I'd give this a shot here and see if anyone is into this hobby.

I am in the market for a new DSLR but I am somewhat dumbfounded by all the new tech out there. I have a Nikon D50 but am trying to shoot some action shots and it's just too slow. Need something faster. I'm not heavily invested in lenses for it. Only have the 18-55 that it came with and a 55-200 VR that I purchased separately years ago. I'm a little lost on what I should be looking for. I have looked at the Nikon D3200 and D5200 as well as the Canon T4i and came away with the impression that reviewers think the D5200 is the best of the 3 but I have no real understanding of the why. I'm not a professional by any means, but I am not necessarily new either. I understand how to get a good shot, but need a better camera for the action shots and better low light capability. Video isn't a primary concern but I understand most good DSLRs these days do video as well. Also, should I be using a 18-200 or 18-300 instead of multiple lenses? Is it silly these days to use two different lenses like I currently have?

I guess since some things have changed since I bought the D50 I haven't kept up.
    I am a Pro. What kind of action shots are you trying to get? Is it daytime, night, inside or out?

Either Nikon or Canon will be fine, you just have to choose the one you like better. I shoot Nikon. That is personal preference. I have shot with many other pros and they are split. When my friend and I were shooting an indoor wrestling event, we traded gear for a little while, he is Canon. The photos came out similar. The color rendition is a bit different and some of the controls are different, but you should be fine with either one.
    I would have to research the bodies you mentioned to be sure it is within what you are looking for.
    Also, what is your budget?
    Is a camera body that is a bit bigger going to be a problem? How about weight of the body?

You can also Pm me if you want.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

The 70-300 better than the 55-200 by a good margin? I understand the 55-200 is a bit soft to some when wide open at 200 so I could, if I needed to have more sharpness, get a lens with higher max focal length like a 7-300 and shoot at 200mm to get better sharpness.

BTW in case it was not very clear, the 55-200 I have is the Nikon 4-5.6 ED VR.
    Once you are able to answer the questions I posted, I can help answer this question too.

But the 70-200 2.8 is much better then the 70-300 in terms of sharpness, ability to shoot in lower light and focus speed.

Be safe!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Yep, what MrBuckwheat says. Spend your money on the best lens you can afford- that maximum aperture of f/2.8 (the smaller that number, the bigger the aperture will get to let light in.) will make a world of difference in low light. That's what will give you crisp and clear pics. I used to sell cameras and photo equipment and there was a 70-200 f/2.8 that was just amazing. They are pricey, so it just depends on how serious you are about getting the shots you want. Remember too, with the resolution of the modern DSLR's, there is a lot of cropping you can do after the fact that makes it look like you were closer than you were. I would go for a wide angle 18-55 and large aperture over a long focal length any day. Oh, and no matter what lens you spend your money on, don't forget to put a UV filter on it. Much cheaper to replace than a lens! Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Larz_NY View Post
    I am a Pro. What kind of action shots are you trying to get? Is it daytime, night, inside or out?

Either Nikon or Canon will be fine, you just have to choose the one you like better. I shoot Nikon. That is personal preference. I have shot with many other pros and they are split. When my friend and I were shooting an indoor wrestling event, we traded gear for a little while, he is Canon. The photos came out similar. The color rendition is a bit different and some of the controls are different, but you should be fine with either one.
    I would have to research the bodies you mentioned to be sure it is within what you are looking for.
    Also, what is your budget?
    Is a camera body that is a bit bigger going to be a problem? How about weight of the body?

You can also Pm me if you want.

Be safe!
    BMX Races, day and night under the lights. Usually outdoors. My current 55-200 isn't a f2.8, it's the standard f4-5.6.

My budget is probably under $1000 for the body(this isn't for publication of professional applications in any way). The D5200 falls into that range. As for the size of the body, I never considered it. I wouldn't say it's something I'd be concerned with that much.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I have a Nikon D60 that I purchased from B&H photo B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders. The are a good company with great customer service. But as stated above Cannon or Nikon will meet your needs.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Get a used Nikon D300 (~$700) and a used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM (non OS, under $800).

That will provide you with all you need for many years to come. The D300 does't have video, but does have a semi-pro body and an internal focus motor to auto focus older non-G lenses, like the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D (best lens for the money in my opinion).

You could also opt for the Nikon D7000 for under $1000 (body only) and be even better off in low light and lose nothing but 9 shot bracketing.

VIP Member
    When you say your D50 isn't fast enough, what do you mean exactly? Typically we talk about lenses being fast, not camera bodies. Your current body should be plenty fast for "action" shots. Your current lens may not be, depending on the lighting conditions for these action shots. I just checked the specs of the camera and while it doesn't have a huge ISO range, I think understanding what you are shooting is a prerequisite for giving you a solid answer.

*** Just saw your answer about BMX.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    When you say your D50 isn't fast enough, what do you mean exactly? Typically we talk about lenses being fast, not camera bodies. Your current body should be plenty fast for "action" shots. Your current lens may not be, depending on the lighting conditions for these action shots. I just checked the specs of the camera and while it doesn't have a huge ISO range, I think understanding what you are shooting is a prerequisite for giving you a solid answer.
    Continuous shooting to capture jumping etc. 2.5frames per second isn't quite enough.

I do know I should be using an f2.8 lens. That will come later. Like I said this isn't for professional work. I first want to capture the shots at the races. Good enough for posting to facebook and the like would be fine.
    TX expat likes this.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Re: Any photographers here?

+1 on the D7000. I'd love to have one. I'm stuck with my D90 for now, but 4.5 fps does fine for what I shoot. All my extra cash now goes to ammo, lol. Good luck picking out a new body.

"The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

BMX Races, day and night under the lights. Usually outdoors. My current 55-200 isn't a f2.8, it's the standard f4-5.6.

My budget is probably under $1000 for the body(this isn't for publication of professional applications in any way). The D5200 falls into that range. As for the size of the body, I never considered it. I wouldn't say it's something I'd be concerned with that much.
    OK, you are getting some good info and some not so good info IMHO. Again this is just my opinion.
    D5200 should be OK for what you want to do. D300 is another option that would be good as well.
    You do want a burst rate, 5 fps is good, but you also want a fast card that will write quickly and help clear the buffer.
    for what you are shooting, 2.8 is pretty important. All of my lenses are 2.8 or faster. Also shooting at 2.8 gives you excellent Bokeh, that is the blurred background you see on the cover of SI mags.
    I do not agree with using a UV filter on any lens. Yes they will protect your lens if you drop it or run into something, but it also degrades the image quality. When I teach classes, many students will come in with that on there and when we compare photos, they say why are yours so much sharper, I then tell them to take off the filters and they can see the difference themselves. I only use a filter if what I am shooting needs one. My main filter is a circular polarizer. Again, my opinion. But I have seen the results.

B&H Photo is a great resource for equipment and information. They are in Manhattan. I have been there numerous times and they have all been expensive trips, LOL! But they are a company you can buy from with confidence. Adorama is another, both in NY.

MAKE SURE...you buy USA models, not grey market. Nikon USA will not warranty or even repair them and you will have to send it to bubba's camera somewhere. No offense to anyone named Bubba.

I hope this helps.

Be safe!

Oh, and for the record, I shoot with the Nikon D3 bodies. I bought them when they first came out and have not looked at another body since.

Be safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links