PETA will be furious; possum drop to continue in NC

This is a discussion on PETA will be furious; possum drop to continue in NC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Return of the Possum Drop? A bill filed in the House Monday would clear the way for Brasstown, NC, to resume using a live possum ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PETA will be furious; possum drop to continue in NC

VIP Member

Return of the Possum Drop?

A bill filed in the House Monday would clear the way for Brasstown, NC, to resume using a live possum in its New Year's Eve Possum Drop celebration.

Clay Logan, the proprietor of Clay's Corner in Brasstown, started the tradition 20 years ago. But a ruling by a state administrative judge left Logan without a live star in 2012.

Animal rights group PETA filed suit against the state and Logan, arguing that state law doesn't allow the Department of Environment and Natural Resources to issue a permit to someone to trap, keep, drop, and release a wild animal, as it did for Logan in 2011. Current law allows only licensed wildlife rehabilitators to possess live wild animals.

The possum, by the way, isn't actually dropped - it's lowered in a plexiglass cage at the stroke of midnight. But PETA argued it's still cruel and disorienting to the animal, which could be held captive for weeks before the big show and then released into unfamiliar territory.
    Return of the Possum Drop? :: WRAL.com

NC lawmakers introduce Possum Drop bill

RALEIGH, N.C. A bipartisan group of North Carolina lawmakers has introduced a bill that would give the state explicit authority to allow the organizer of a New Year's Eve Possum Drop to use a live animal.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals successfully sued the state Wildlife Resources Commission last year over a 2011 permit allowing event organizer Clay Logan to trap a wild opossum. Traditionally, the fuzzy marsupial was suspended in a clear box adorned with tinsel and gently lowered to the ground at midnight, then released.

The bill introduced Monday would grant the commission the ability to issue permits for wild animals to be held captive for "scientific, educational, or exhibition purposes." Among the bill's sponsors is House Speaker Thom Tillis, who has attended the Possum Drop.
    NC lawmakers introduce Possum Drop bill :: WRAL.com

It always makes feel great when that bunch of radicals gets a smack down.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Drop someone from PETA instead. And I mean "drop."
    msgt/ret and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Maybe the possum likes the attention...like "King for a day" and wants PETA to bug off and let him have his 15 minutes of fame.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    With all the fiscal, social, employment, and other problems they need to fix ... they introduce a possum bill ... Damn, they all need to be promoted to Congress in DC.
    RoadKill and Lish like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I don't cotton to being cruel to any of God's creatures. PETA is their own worst enemy for focusing attention to silly things like this instead of legitimate animal cruelty issues.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

PETA

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    palmcoaster and Ksgunner like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: PETA will be furious; possum drop to continue in NC

I found a possum in a trash can once. I have no idea how he got the lid off let alone back on. He seemed rather annoyed when I plucked him out by the tail and threw him across the yard.

Sure made a mess of my trash.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

That possum lives the life of a king compared to his brethren. Think about it... He (probably) gets fed complete, nutritious possum meals (whatever that may be), while his fellow rodent friends continue to scrounge for food in whatever waste they can find.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Administrator
    How does PETA KNOW what is (and what is not) disorienting to a possum?
    Do they have a team of possum psychologists on staff?

Maybe the possum feels like he is a celebrity possum. Possibly he (or she) likes the limelight? Being the center of attention might be a possums dream come true!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: PETA will be furious; possum drop to continue in NC

Oprah needs to weigh in on this. Somebody is lying.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Gets traps and feed good for 2 weeks.... I doubt the opposum is complaining at all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Drop someone from PETA instead. And I mean "drop."
    I suggest Patricia Feral or Ingrid Newkirk!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    I Knew that I had that book somewhere on my bookshelf. I thought that maybe I had lent it out and somebody forgot to return it.

Here it is Right here on Page 37 of Delving Into The Inner Mind Of The Captive Opossum by Ima Marsupial

They don't mind being lowered down slowly in a PlexiGlas box. Case Closed.

Here is an actual Possum Drop Possum. He doesn't look very upset to me...unless they have him on Prozac.

Jeanlouise likes this.

Opossum : an English language corruption of a Native Algonquian word meaning "white animal." Basically, they are about as bright as a rock. Many of them have an early death at under the wheels of automobiles, I know, several have met their maker while I was behind the wheel. Not intentional, they waddle around the sides of the road looking for scraps of food or whatever and get hit.

They love Persimmons however and will come out in freezing temperatures to eat them. Many 'Possums get frostbite on their ears, and most likely the walnut-sized brain they come equipped with. I don't think the "Possum Drop" will in any way hurt the Opossum.

Yet, they are survivors. They will eat anything and broods number 8 or above, so there is no shortage of them. PETA might be angry but who cares.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; February 6th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    High pockets beat me to that one. Im all for people eating tasty animals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links