Tip for the USPS

Tip for the USPS

This is a discussion on Tip for the USPS within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you want to make money, how about having the post office open when people can actually go to it? Unless I drive for more ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By stanislaskasava
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By paramedic70002

Thread: Tip for the USPS

Tip for the USPS

If you want to make money, how about having the post office open when people can actually go to it?

Unless I drive for more than 2 hours to reach a large-ish city, I'm stuck with local and semi-local post offices to use. They invariably have hours that are roughly 9am-4:30pm weekdays and closed on weekends. Lunch hour is 12:30-1:30.

When are typical office hours for most people? 9-5 (or 8-5, 9-6, whatever), mon-fri. Lunch hours usually 12-1 or 1-2.

As a business whose sole purpose is to serve the public, why are you only open when most people are at work?

I have irregular hours so it doesn't bother me as much, but I can see it being a huge issue for many people.

No wonder USPS is going down the toilet.
    IronMike and phreddy like this.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Here's my tips: Netflix is reportedly 20% of your business and you're going to choose SATURDAY as the first day to cut? Why not cut Monday first, or whatever day will have the least effect on business. As the OP says, be open for business whenever your customers want you most.

Secondly, learn what customer service is. Don't have a phone number if you're not going to answer it. If someone is rude, fire them. Average pay is north of $80,000/year, so act like it. I don't remember the last time a USPS employee impressed me. Probably never. For 80 grand, get some hustle.

Also, stop making it easy for people to send me junk mail. Charge the true cost of the service. Allow me to opt out of junk mail. Better yet, allow me to automatically return junk mail to the sender, they pay both ways.
    IronMike likes this.

The USPS was self sufficient until Congress voted(voice vote BTW) in 2006 to mandate the USPS pre-pay into the health benefits fund for future retirees to the tune of 11 billion per year. This was mandated on no other federal agencies. The USPS hung on for 6 years paying this unfair mandate until in 2012 it finally caught up to them and they went into the red deeply. This caused them to close/shorten hours at many of the local post offices in order to save money.

The average pay for letter carriers/clerks is more in the $45,000 range not $80,000.

As for cutting Saturday delivery the USPS makes most of their revenue from the business community, most business offices are not working on Saturdays.

So if the blame should go to any one place it falls on Congress.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The USPS was self sufficient until Congress voted(voice vote BTW) in 2006 to mandate the USPS pre-pay into the health benefits fund for future retirees to the tune of 11 billion per year. This was mandated on no other federal agencies. The USPS hung on for 6 years paying this unfair mandate until in 2012 it finally caught up to them and they went into the red deeply. This caused them to close/shorten hours at many of the local post offices in order to save money.

The average pay for letter carriers/clerks is more in the $45,000 range not $80,000.

As for cutting Saturday delivery the USPS makes most of their revenue from the business community, most business offices are not working on Saturdays.

So if the blame should go to any one place it falls on Congress.
    The USPS is a quasi government agency. It is mostly a revenue generating business. Other businesses have to fund their retirement benefits. The rule for the USPS treats it like the business that it is. Otherwise we would have more unfunded liabilities that would default to the taxpayers when those benefits come due.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    ...As a business whose sole purpose is to serve the public, why are you only open when most people are at work?
    Because we have reached a point where MOST people in this country do not WORK anymore. And most of what the post office is sending out is Government checks to people who aren't working. So, they're paying themselves to send out their own mail to people who don't work. And they wonder why they're not making money. Amazing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Yeah its amazing no Sat.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    MOST people do work, and nearly all government checks are direct deposited. There's nothing in my Saturday mail that I can't wait until Mondy to throw away. There are benefits to living in a small city/town, having a 24-hr USPS isn't one of them. get over that.

How about:
    1. Lowering 1st class costs,
    2. Raising the costs of the junk mail.
    3. Figure out some way to lower the health care costs, which is the biggest problem.

That will make using 1st class more reasonable. It will raise more money as junk mail is the majority of what's deoilvered, or will at least lower teh amount of junk they have to tote around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm wondering where they will be saving money by not delivering home mail on Saturday. They say it only applies to letters...they would still deliver "packages". I live in the sticks. My mail is delivered by rural carrier. If they have to deliver packages spread throughout their driving territory, where would that save money? Besides, as I recall, carriers bid on how much they would charge to deliver rural mail, so they are basically a "salaried" employee. If they don't have to work Saturday, they effectively got a nice pay raise if you calculate their equivalent hourly rate. They also said people with PO boxes would still get Saturday mail...so...that means someone would still have to be working Saturday to fill the PO boxes. Somethin' stinks...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

One thing they could do, is to follow in most for-profit business' footsteps and change their defined benefit retirement plan to a defined contirbution plan. that way they would not be beholden to the stock market and returns on investments to determine how much the retirement benefits will cost each year. Instead they would be liable only for the pre-determined contribution percentage of payroll. The swings of the stock market play havoc with lon term plannning and funding of defined benefit plans.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If only there were some private profitable business they could emulate to design a profitable business model upon...
    phreddy likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Here's my tips: Netflix is reportedly 20% of your business and you're going to choose SATURDAY as the first day to cut? Why not cut Monday first, or whatever day will have the least effect on business. As the OP says, be open for business whenever your customers want you most.

Secondly, learn what customer service is. Don't have a phone number if you're not going to answer it. If someone is rude, fire them. Average pay is north of $80,000/year, so act like it. I don't remember the last time a USPS employee impressed me. Probably never. For 80 grand, get some hustle.

Also, stop making it easy for people to send me junk mail. Charge the true cost of the service. Allow me to opt out of junk mail. Better yet, allow me to automatically return junk mail to the sender, they pay both ways.

Not trying to argue, just reply--Packages like Netflix are still going to be delivered on Sat. Just not letters. I read a report by the Postmaster on Junk Mail several years ago. Junk mail comes to the post office pre-sorted and perfectly addressed with scan labels. It costs MUCH less to deliver. I can only imagine how much labor it takes for the average letter addressed to "Auntie Ann" with the only address being "Walnut St in Des Moines". I am not trying to play devil's advocate, I really am not, but I am amazed that my local mail is delivered the next day for .50. I really don't care if they deliver Saturday mail or not. I agree that it could be more efficient, though as far as the overall cost to the system. The problem is a microcosm of our nation in general, in regards to cost effectiveness. Our government is slow and inefficient BY DESIGN. It is made that way so someone cannot come in and take over. The same reason it is a great way to run a Government is why we need to keep it out of buisness (ie--healthcare.) It cannot possibly ever be efficient--BY DESIGN of our framers.

I see this as a threat used to get more funding. How much will they actually save by not delivering letters on Saturday while still delivering other things. Their labor will be the same. Those letters that are "less efficient" still get sorted and deliverd, just not on Saturday. Carriers will stillrun their routes on Saturday.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    All things considered, I think the post office does a pretty good job. The fact that you can stick something in a box at the end of your driveway or your door and for about 50 cents a few days later there is a greater than 99.99% chance that it will arrive at its destination is still amazing. It is actually a better reliability rate than I have experienced with the private shipper. I have had packages shipped from the west coast on a Friday and had them in my hand on Monday for a cost of $2.50, or 1/20th of what the private shipper wanted for the same service. When I was attempting to relocate and after that fell through I learned I couldn't forward my mail FROM where I had been staying (it was an RV campground) my carrier after noticing that our cars were in the drive more often came to the door to ask if we were back. I said yes and told her about the issue with un-forwarding my mail. She said, "don't worry about it, I will take care of that for you" and somehow she did as my mail started arriving. Overall, I have no complaints.

VIP Member
    My tip for USPS. Stop blaming UPS/FedEX and e-mail for your problems and look at the mismanagement in your system for your failure.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My tip for USPS. Stop blaming UPS/FedEX and e-mail for your problems and look at the mismanagement in your system for your failure.
    Agreed.

If your biggest excuse is the lack of a monopoly, then you're doing something wrong....

Links