50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot - Page 2

50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

This is a discussion on 50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We no longer are a country who even thinks about freedom, much less honors it....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

We no longer are a country who even thinks about freedom, much less honors it.
    BugDude likes this.

I cannot think of a rational reason as to why weed should be illegal. I can think of some quasi-rational reasons as to why guns should be illegal.

Both should be legal. Freedom is freedom.

I was a soldier in the so called "War on Drugs" for over 25 years, and we accomplished nothing in my opinion. Cocaine is cheaper now than when I started in federal law enforcement, as is Heroin. Marijuana costs more, but it's 100% more potent then the old days. We've put a lot of people in prison for a long time, and the supply is available as ever. What have we really accomplished?

I used to think of marijuana as a gateway drug, but I'm not so certain anymore. What I do know is that habitual users of marijuana lose their initiative, and drive in life, and as long as they have a little weed, all is well in their world. That'd be OK for us old retired folks who aren't expected to do much anymore, but not for high school/college age kids. They have their entire lives ahead of them.

I think I'll go get a drink and ponder on this one for awhile. :)
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

apparently I need to go to bed, I read the title as 50 year old geriatric white guy..." . that said, the states can legalize all the pot they want. as I understand it, it is STILL illegal at the federal level, so the states laws are invalid. I can honestly say in my 31 years I have never smoked weed...it just never (and still doesn't) interest me.

if people want to do it in their own homes, I've got a hard time getting worked up about it as long as they are straight when the leave the house. ohh and someone correct me if my science is wrong BUT the active ingredient in weed is THC which is fat (not water) soluble... so it takes forever to get rid of it all, so you could be high to an extent at any time...like driving or working...............wait did I just contradict myself a few times? ok bed time
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Administrator
    The entire legalization issue is really a lot more complex than it seems to be on the surface. For example we have one State now where pot is basically legal according to state law but, it is still fed illegal. So (for one thing) Congress really needs to get definitive on the pot issue.
    I see one problem with states (where pot is still illegal) surrounding a state where pot is legal. They are going to get an influx of people flooding into the pot legal state - getting high and very likely bringing pot back to where it is still illegal. That will place an extra burden on Law Enforcement. There will need to be border crossings at state boundary lines.

And then cops need specific laws to enforce. If somebody is drinking and driving they get a breathalyzer test that determines their blood/alcohol content.

But, say a person is legally high on pot in a legal state and they are involved in an accident where people are injured or killed...how do police determine if an individual is OVER THE POT LIMIT? How high on pot is too high?

Will the state handle pot sales so that it is a taxable commodity? Will there be specific THC limits for state controlled legal taxable pot?

It's a plant so will people who grow their own be in violation because there is no way to tax their home grown weed?

Will organized crime get into selling alternative non state controlled pot? Will they start to sell pot with added chemicals to increase the high factor.

Since it is now LEGAL - for what ages of people? Will it be legal for use by 8, 9, & 10 year old kids? Will citizens need to be 18 or 21 years old to legally buy or grow it?

Then remember that pot is NOT completely harmless. It is about as bad for the lungs as cigarettes.

If the state taxes it and accumulates a ton of tax money from pot sales will the feds then decide to jump in and grab that tax money because it's still illegal federally?

I can think of a million questions that are even international in scope.
    BugDude and Jeanlouise like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Hey man, as a society it's time we like start looking at things in a way that transcend the virtues of right or wrong. I mean when it comes time to pay the piper who is to say what is groovy or not. It's high time that we stand up for our rights and...hey wait...what were we talking about again? I've got to go get a snack man.
    atctimmy, phreddy and thephanatik like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

marijuana.jpg

Smoke if ya got um!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Cannabis Sativa aka pot, Marijuana, weed etc has been around for thousands of years and has been consumed by many cultures around the world.

It comes from Central Asia originally I believe and was used medicinally and to "connect" with the Spirit World by some Shaman in those cultures. There was the mummified body of a man found in the region between China and Europe who they dubbed the "Shaman." He had a small quantity of Cannabis in a pouch that he no doubt used for reacreational and spiritual purpose.

Should it be legal? Debatable at best, but since it is a plant that can grow just about everywhere there is plenty of sunshine and water, controlling it would be extremely difficult. We see no decline in its use simply because the U.S. Government determined it to be against the law.

We do that with our intoxicating substances and that seems to make them more attractive, with exceptions. It is when potent or stronger substances are mixed with it or the intoxicant is separated from the plant and concentrated that creates a problem.

Cocaine for example comes from the leaves of the Coca tree. Native peoples chewed the leaves like tobacco for a mild narcotic effect. It was when some German scientist looking for medicines broke out the intoxicating component and made it stronger and highly addictive. Left alone, Coca may have been just another substance that had some benefit.

I think we have lost the war on drugs, so we now should concentrate on the "why" people want to try things that can destroy their lives. Most of our crime now revolves around drugs. Keeping people from becoming addicted is the key.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Then there is the war on drugs! Wow how is that working for us? All we are really doing is murdering lots of Mexicans and make a bunch of drug lords rich.
    Actually it's their own people murdering them.
    KBSR and atctimmy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How do members on this forum feel about Wasington State CHL holders smoking pot and also carrying concealed? Bear in mind it is legal there, just like alcohol. The Oregon Supreme Court ruled its residents may have medical marijuana cards and CHL permits. IMHO somebody hopped up on Vicodin or OxyContin for back pain, which are opiates just like heroin, is way more a risk carrying a gun than somebody who just smoked a joint. The question I ask is moral, not legal. If the individual is responsible I think it's ok.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually it's their own people murdering them.
    It is just our dollars and our business they are murdering one another over.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Five years ago if you ask me if I agreed with what I'm about to say I'd have argued how wrong I am, and I might still be wrong. However, I'm starting to rethink some things and pot is one of them.

Talking with my 18 daughter for years about alcohol and pot, one of the arguments against pot was not only was it against the law but it is also socially unacceptable, at least in generic white land. I employee allot of black kids, 16-22 years old. Nearly none of them drink but all most all see nothing wrong with smoking pot. One day I ask one of my managers why he doesn't drink but yet smokes pot. He laughed at me and said "Really, you really want to know?...pot is for silly white people. When ya'll drink ya'll get all giggly and out of control, you can't talk, walk or drive. Pot makes you feel as good with out being stupid like ya'll." I can't comment on how pot makes you feel cause I don't know.

Ever since that conversation I've not been able to stop thinking about it. As white people we hate minorities that don't work but prob would never hire a kid with pot possession charge. Yes lots of white kids get caught with pot too but our kids get lawyers, we get the charges reduced or dismissed. Not the kids from the hood! They get 6 month to a year in jail because they can't pay the fine and legal fees and then a life long record!

Then there is the war on drugs! Wow how is that working for us? All we are really doing is murdering lots of Mexicans and make a bunch of drug lords rich. I bet there are a bunch of US farmers that would LOVE to get off of corn subsidies and start supplying American pot smokers with American grown pot.... and yes because I don't, haven't and never will smoke pot, tax the dog pop out of it!

Just some thoughts I've been having. Is old age eating away my brain?
    Here in Colorado, we are at the forefront of the change regarding how pot is viewed. Colorado voted to make use (and possession of small amounts) legal. I am in my 60's and I am watching this unfolding scenario with great interest.

I have increasingly observed our failing war on drugs--and its consequences--and it does appear to be a rough comparison of the Prohibition on alcohol, which also massively failed.

As more significant "milestones" are passed, I'll be glad to share those with those in this forum. Stay tuned.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wasted is wasted--therein lies the problem, not the manner by which achieved.

I've never done pot or any other illegal drug, but back in my old days I did many illegal things (driving, etc.) while "legally" drunk. Now I know better. Unfortunately, the young never have that knowledge at that age.

And yes, I've learned the "war on drugs" has been an absolute failure, just as prohibition was. Seems we've forgotten that little piece of history and are repeating it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Wasted is wasted--therein lies the problem, not the manner by which achieved.

I've never done pot or any other illegal drug, but back in my old days I did many illegal things (driving, etc.) while "legally" drunk. Now I know better. Unfortunately, the young never have that knowledge at that age.

And yes, I've learned the "war on drugs" has been an absolute failure, just as prohibition was. Seems we've forgotten that little piece of history and are repeating it.
    Jack Daniels made me much more psychotic, dangerous and unpredictable than marijuana ever did. The manner does matter.
    ofdesp and blitzburgh like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Drug cartels will spend more money greasing politicians pockets to keep it illegal. In the end its all about money.
    BugDude likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links