50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

This is a discussion on 50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Jack Daniels made me much more psychotic, dangerous and unpredictable than marijuana ever did. The manner does matter. +100 Different substances ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Jack Daniels made me much more psychotic, dangerous and unpredictable than marijuana ever did. The manner does matter.
    +100

Different substances affect the body in a variety of ways, it's not fair to group them together especially if you have never done anything aside from drink (good choice, by the way). To say someone "wasted" on meth and someone "wasted" on pot are equally dangerous is silly to the point of absurdity.

2. Remove Ads

The funnniest thing I hear about pot is that it is a gateway drug to other drugs. Almost every one I knew also drank before they smoke pot. Sometimes the arguements are just judicrous.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    You forgot the original reason that pot is illegal. It cuts into the profits of the alcohol lobby. Pot was perfectly legal until after the repeal of Prohibition. The view that it was somehow "more dangerous" than alcohol is and has been a fabrication. Moreover, Jefferson and Washington both grew "smoking hemp" and Jefferson was quoted as actually using it on occasion.
    I agree that the whole prohibition of pot thing is idiotic on numerous fronts, but I wouldn't use the founders as an example. The bud today is a completely different animal...er breed, compared to the hemp of our founders. The chemical and biological engineering that has gone into pot for the last few decades has developed some extremely potent breeds comparatively speaking.

and no...I don't smoke pot, but I support those that do as long as they're somewhat responsible about it. I just don't personally like not being in full control of my faculties and I still like being able to pass drug tests for work etc...
    Jeanlouise, atctimmy and Spirit51 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    As far as pot being a gateway drug...I think it is in people who have addictive personalities. How many people go directly to Meth or Heroin without any previous Marijuana use?

Many people can use pot and never move on to anything stronger, just like many people can drink and not move on to become raging alcoholics. However, I do think in those susceptable people it is a gateway drug and that's one of the dangers.

It's pretty obvious pot is not going away, so maybe legalizing it is the way to go. Can you imagine the bureaucracy that's going to entail?
    KBSR and Spirit51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    As far as pot being a gateway drug...I think it is in people who have addictive personalities. How many people go directly to Meth or Heroin without any previous Marijuana use?

Many people can use pot and never move on to anything stronger, just like many people can drink and not move on to become raging alcoholics. However, I do think in those susceptable people it is a gateway drug and that's one of the dangers.

It's pretty obvious pot is not going away, so maybe legalizing it is the way to go. Can you imagine the bureaucracy that's going to entail?
    What, precisely is an "addictive personality"? I was a "raging alcoholic", and three-pack-a-day smoker, yet never cared for pot. I smoked it maybe a half-dozen times in my life.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    What, precisely is an "addictive personality"? I was a "raging alcoholic", and three-pack-a-day smoker, yet never cared for pot. I smoked it maybe a half-dozen times in my life.
    I didn't say pot smoking = alcoholism. I said that pot smoking is probably something done by people who go on to use hard drugs.

"addictive personality" is a medical term and it doesn't mean that a person is addicted to drugs.
    atctimmy and SCXDm9 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I didn't say pot smoking = alcoholism. I said that pot smoking is probably something done by people who go on to use hard drugs.

"addictive personality" is a medical term and it doesn't mean that a person is addicted to drugs.
    Addictive personality is a 12-step term foisted upon us by the treatment industry, but I digress. For the last fifty years that I can speak to personally, the powers that be have tried hard to convince us there is a causal relationship between pot smoking and drug addiction, and the best they have proven is "maybe, sometimes". Given the amount of energy and resources expended, I would have hoped for something more concrete by now.
    Tuco

If you think that legalizing pot, crack, meth, heroin, etc. will solve the U.S.'s drug problems...think again.
    You foks who are all for legalizing this stuff need to have a few addicts make your doorway, street or park their home.
    Dirty needles, crack vials...filthy, wild-eyed, stoned-out people wandering around neighborhoods...begging for money... 'relieving themselves' in front of your kids...
    And then there are the filthy, hungry, truant and abused kids of addicts...
    ...or stoned people behind the wheel...or signing up for full gov. disability...because they can't help that they're addicts.
    Let's face it, drug abusers are a huge societal problem. And they'll be just as much a problem if their drugs are legalized.
    Personally, I'd rather have them off the streets.
    I've heard that like alcohol, pot can be used in moderation. But it comes with a raft of it's own problems too (thc content, additives, etc.)
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually it's their own people murdering them.
    My point exactly...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    If you think that legalizing pot, crack, meth, heroin, etc. will solve the U.S.'s drug problems...think again.
    You foks who are all for legalizing this stuff need to have a few addicts make your doorway, street or park their home.
    Dirty needles, crack vials...filthy, wild-eyed, stoned-out people wandering around neighborhoods...begging for money... 'relieving themselves' in front of your kids...
    And then there are the filthy, hungry, truant and abused kids of addicts...
    ...or stoned people behind the wheel...or signing up for full gov. disability...because they can't help that they're addicts.
    Let's face it, drug abusers are a huge societal problem. And they'll be just as much a problem if their drugs are legalized.
    Personally, I'd rather have them off the streets.
    I've heard that like alcohol, pot can be used in moderation. But it comes with a raft of it's own problems too (thc content, additives, etc.)
    And criminalizing it all somehow mitigates it?
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Jack Daniels made me much more psychotic, dangerous and unpredictable than marijuana ever did. The manner does matter.
    But you were wasted either way, and I learned long ago that being wasted is a waste.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Background checks on every purchase? Three-day waiting period? No more than seven joints hidden in your cigarette pack? No pistol-grip bongs? Oh, the imagination can run wild.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    You forgot the original reason that pot is illegal. It cuts into the profits of the alcohol lobby. Pot was perfectly legal until after the repeal of Prohibition. The view that it was somehow "more dangerous" than alcohol is and has been a fabrication. Moreover, Jefferson and Washington both grew "smoking hemp" and Jefferson was quoted as actually using it on occasion.
    I agree, but you left out a industry that is just as concerned in leaving pot illegal....the Drug Companies....same reason as the Alcohol Lobby. It might make their product less desirable, thus making less profit.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I agree, but you left out a industry that is just as concerned in leaving pot illegal....the Drug Companies....same reason as the Alcohol Lobby. It might make their product less desirable, thus making less profit.
    Smart companies have learned to branch out into whatever makes a buck, not suppress it.

Administrator
    I drank COKE straight before I eventually started putting RUM into it so I think Coca~Cola might be a gateway soft drink leading to alcohol consumption.
    lionround and SCXDm9 like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links