50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

This is a discussion on 50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Five years ago if you ask me if I agreed with what I'm about to say I'd have argued how wrong I am, and I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

50 year old generic white guy-rethinking pot

Five years ago if you ask me if I agreed with what I'm about to say I'd have argued how wrong I am, and I might still be wrong. However, I'm starting to rethink some things and pot is one of them.

Talking with my 18 daughter for years about alcohol and pot, one of the arguments against pot was not only was it against the law but it is also socially unacceptable, at least in generic white land. I employee allot of black kids, 16-22 years old. Nearly none of them drink but all most all see nothing wrong with smoking pot. One day I ask one of my managers why he doesn't drink but yet smokes pot. He laughed at me and said "Really, you really want to know?...pot is for silly white people. When ya'll drink ya'll get all giggly and out of control, you can't talk, walk or drive. Pot makes you feel as good with out being stupid like ya'll." I can't comment on how pot makes you feel cause I don't know.

Ever since that conversation I've not been able to stop thinking about it. As white people we hate minorities that don't work but prob would never hire a kid with pot possession charge. Yes lots of white kids get caught with pot too but our kids get lawyers, we get the charges reduced or dismissed. Not the kids from the hood! They get 6 month to a year in jail because they can't pay the fine and legal fees and then a life long record!

Then there is the war on drugs! Wow how is that working for us? All we are really doing is murdering lots of Mexicans and make a bunch of drug lords rich. I bet there are a bunch of US farmers that would LOVE to get off of corn subsidies and start supplying American pot smokers with American grown pot.... and yes because I don't, haven't and never will smoke pot, tax the dog pop out of it!

Just some thoughts I've been having. Is old age eating away my brain?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Around here it's a misdemeanor unless you possess more than a certain amount (I don't know how much but it's more than a couple of joints would be). Jail times comes if you caught dealing.

The only reason I don't think it should be legalized is because we already have enough problems with people unable to focus and be productive. Do we need to legalize another way to anesthetize our brains?

I know there's a lot of arguements for legalizing and some of them make sense...it's just my view. It will be interesting to see, in a few years, how it's working out for the states that just legalized it.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I am a 56 yo White guy who works in Law Enforcement. I believe that the War on Drugs is a complete and total failure. However, the reasons that legalizing pot is an uphill battle are as follows:

1. Corrections Corporation of America gets X dollars per bed per day for every person we send to stay in their care. They have lobbyists in Washington and will spend money to see that the War continues.
    2. The DEA has a budget. A large part of that money goes to arrest, prosecute and incarcerate marijuana possessors. They have strong ties in Washington and do not want to see their budget cut.
    3. There are still some people who erroneously think that it is a gateway drug.
    4. There are a lot of old White guys (older than the two of us) who are in Congress who will vote against any kind of legalization.

My .02
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

A man i worked with sometime ago was ranting about how bad pot was for you.I knew he drank,so i just decided to screw with him some.Thats all i was doing,but,don't think he knew.What he drinks or smokes,his business,not mine.Anyway,i ask him,how many times have you read where someone drinking and driving had wrecked their car and or killed someone?He said to many times.I asked him,how many times,had he read the paper and the same thing had happened,by someone smoking pot?He said he hadn't.I said there ya go,and left the convo.I haven't had either in years,but,i was in better control of myself with pot vs alcohol.I guess its according to how you feel about the two.I gave both up about 15 yrs ago.Hey whatever floats your boat,or not.

VIP Member
    Illegal drugs are something for drinkers to look down their noses at, for politicians to use for political capital, and for the government to throw a trillion bucks of our hard-earned at to solve nothing.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The only reason I don't think it should be legalized is because we already have enough problems with people unable to focus and be productive. Do we need to legalize another way to anesthetize our brains?

I know there's a lot of arguements for legalizing and some of them make sense...it's just my view. It will be interesting to see, in a few years, how it's working out for the states that just legalized it.

Not disagreeing at all just thinking.... could pot be anywhere as close to mind numbing and less productive as cell phones? And yes I think watching these states will be very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Illegal drugs are something for drinkers to look down their noses at, for politicians to use for political capital, and for the government to throw a trillion bucks of our hard-earned at to solve nothing.
    Wow interestingly profound... as I type with a gin and tonic next to me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Wow interestingly profound... as I type with a gin and tonic next to me!
    Drink a couple more, and I will really start to make sense.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I'm 50 years old and haven't smoked pot for 30 years. If I wanted to tomorrow, I would not have a clue how to get any. But,... If I were 15, I could without a problem. This situation is caused by the fact that it is illegal. Period. That same 15 yr old would have a hard time getting a 6pack because it is legal and controled.

Drug Prohibition Laws are as effective as Gun Control Laws.

nuff said
    usmc0311, SCXDm9, Smarshe and 2 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Drink a couple more, and I will really start to make sense.
    I'm feeding my wife coffee and carmel vodka so as you get more profound.. I get better looking!
    olhippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I am a 56 yo White guy who works in Law Enforcement. I believe that the War on Drugs is a complete and total failure. However, the reasons that legalizing pot is an uphill battle are as follows:

1. Corrections Corporation of America gets X dollars per bed per day for every person we send to stay in their care. They have lobbyists in Washington and will spend money to see that the War continues.
    2. The DEA has a budget. A large part of that money goes to arrest, prosecute and incarcerate marijuana possessors. They have strong ties in Washington and do not want to see their budget cut.
    3. There are still some people who erroneously think that it is a gateway drug.
    4. There are a lot of old White guys (older than the two of us) who are in Congress who will vote against any kind of legalization.

My .02
    You forgot the original reason that pot is illegal. It cuts into the profits of the alcohol lobby. Pot was perfectly legal until after the repeal of Prohibition. The view that it was somehow "more dangerous" than alcohol is and has been a fabrication. Moreover, Jefferson and Washington both grew "smoking hemp" and Jefferson was quoted as actually using it on occasion.
    SCXDm9, lionround and Spirit51 like this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

When I first lived in South Carolina, many, many years ago, alcohol was basically illegal. There was an exception for private clubs. There were LOTS of private clubs. You could get a membership for the night for $1, you could then buy a coke with ice for $4. They then came over with a bottle of rum with someone's name written on the side and would then say something like "This rum compliments of 'Mary Snodgras'. These clubs were open til the wee, wee hours of the night, and every night of the week.

While I was there, alcohol was legalized. After this, it was much harder to get since they regulated hours and days of the week, as well as other things.

My point is that it was easier to get when it was illegal than when it was legal. It was also more controlled when it was legal, and of course, the state was now collecting lots more tax money.

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    You forgot the original reason that pot is illegal. It cuts into the profits of the alcohol lobby. Pot was perfectly legal until after the repeal of Prohibition.
    I do not know if you are 100% correct here but you are starting to make sense.

If you had told me 25 years ago I'd be sitting in my house staring at a box talking with people all over the country about how the US is having serious conversations about legallizing pot while simultaneously illegalizing guns I'd have thought they were insane. When you step back and think about that, what does that say about this nation's priorities??? Nothing good.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links