Judge flips out at bail hearing

This is a discussion on Judge flips out at bail hearing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by linuss While I am all for punishing her on her initial drug possession charges, I'm not really a fan of the complete ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Judge flips out at bail hearing

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    While I am all for punishing her on her initial drug possession charges, I'm not really a fan of the complete bypass of due process that judges use for 'contempt' and how just calling them a name can land you jail time. Yeah, that's fantastic way to abuse people using their 1st amendment.

I understand the idea behind it (keep people from disrupting proceedings), but in something like this, her saying "F you" while walking away did nothing more than irk an old guy in a robe, who then gave her a month in jail. I disagree.
    I agree....The judge seemed to be the one offended, not like he was protecting the courts integrity or whatever. If you look at the beginning of the recording he did not admonish the girls for being silly during the proceeding then gets upset when she says adios. That is like a parent ignoring bad behaviour then punishing the kid when it becomes too much without a warning first.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    If your gonna be dumb ,you gotta be tough.
    In most cases it is unnecessary to call one's grammar out on the internet, but this is not one of those cases.
    suntzu likes this.

typical kid these days. no respect for authority, i would have given her 90 days.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Administrator
    When you are in court on drug charges do not enter the courtroom high on drugs which she obviously was and that is a fact because I sure have seen enough of it in my time on Earth.
    I don't think it was so much her "unique farewell" but, more the overall fact that she was obviously stoned out even though she lied when asked...and denied it.

30 days might give her some time to clean out her system and get back to more rational behavior.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Two things to remember here:

1. The judge may not always be right.........but he is always the judge!

2. Life is tough........it's even tougher if you're stupid!

There are some cases where I feel being an idiot should warrant the death penalty. Just my opinion.

QK Shooter I bet 30 years would not give her enough time to get int he same planetary system as "rational behavior."
    QKShooter likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Maybe she'll realize court is a pretty serious place. I thought the judge handled it well. Good for him. Life can be hard on an idiot party girl. She finally met someone that knows exactly how to deal with her.
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member
    She apologized and the Judge accepted her apology and let her off. I think he handled the whole thing just right.

Maybe it scared her enough to keep her out of trouble for awhile.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ...but IMO the judge took it as affront to him...not the court. ...

The judge IS the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Maybe it scared her enough to keep her out of trouble for awhile.
    I have a bridge I would like to sell you...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I guess my question is:should it have even escalated to that point. She go 5K bail than said "adios". Immanture but I do not think that she did it to insult the court or judge (my opinion). Could have the judge called her back and aske what she meant by "adios"?
    I think it's insulting the Law and Court, not just the Judge. Far as what she meant by "adios" she had already given him the finger I think, so I'm sure it wasn't a flattering comment.

She should take a course in how many people suffered and died so we stayed a country of Law. To me, she got a lesson, a firm one. I don't think that's bad at all.

(Just my view)

VIP Member
    If you look at the beginning of the recording he did not admonish the girls for being silly during the proceeding then gets upset when she says adios. That is like a parent ignoring bad behaviour then punishing the kid when it becomes too much without a warning first.
    Another way to look at it, she's not a child, the judge was patient and trying to treat her like an adult and proceed with court. The girl crossed the line, most adults know when they do. She didn't care, and caught the side of the judge that expects decorum in his court.

The girl may never learn, but I bet the next cases behind her went without incident.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

A punishment needs to be severe enough to deter the behaviour, there's no doubt about that. A xanax-shoplifter will likely need some type of punishment.

Remember, though, the bail hearing is not the time to be issuing justice. She's an accused, not a 'guilty'. Suntzu is correct, the bail hearing is there to determine flight (or reoffense) risk. Feeling like someone's family 'deserves' to be on the hook for an additional $5k based off an 'adios' is (imo) the judge misunderstanding the bail system.

I have no idea about whether a flipped-off judge is worth 30 days in jail. It seems drastically excessive, considering a few days would've been a pretty severe inconvenience for a moment of immaturity (or lack of respect). But that would be a local case-law issue.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I have a bridge I would like to sell you...
    I'm trying to stay positive here.

BTW, how much are you asking for the bridge?
    91wm6 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Well guys next time you happen to be in front of a circuit court judge for something and feel that being sarcastic, thinking the whole thing is a joke then dropping the f bomb is an expression of your 1st Amendment rights go ahead, but please follow up on how it turns out for you.

The courtroom is his domain. Yes it is a bail hearing and not a court of adjudication but it is probably not a good idea to piss the man off that determines your freedom but maybe next time you can stand outside the courtroom and hand out lollipops to make yourself feel better about it all.

There is a time and place for everything and that was not it.
    JayHawker45 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links