Judge flips out at bail hearing

This is a discussion on Judge flips out at bail hearing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; and here i thought respect was universal. i don't know how others are raised. but i was taught to respect my elders. when you come ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Judge flips out at bail hearing

and here i thought respect was universal. i don't know how others are raised. but i was taught to respect my elders. when you come across one of my kids and he holds the door for your old a$$ out of respect, just think how insulted you'd be if he just let it slam in your face. to not show respect in court while being charged for committing a crime and blatantly, no fragrantly being not only rude but insulting is just not common sense. i don't even know why it's called that really. 'cuz it doesn't seem to be very common these days.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    6 months?! You got to be kidding me. Based on the judge most likely being ticked off. What does someone smoking pot get? 10 years?
    What our society is not realizing is that many of the issues plaguing america start at home, and bred from the lack of respect children ( not all) generally have to day for anything or anyone. In my house as a child, If i told ANY adult anything in a disrespectdful manner i was picking my face off the floor. HArd life..yep. But you can darn well bet that I respect everyone I meet to this day. I have no sympathy for anyone who is harshly punished, especially when all they had to do was stand their shut up, say yes sir no sir, and be done. That girl was stupid and she got what she deserved. and as far as pot smokers are concerned, I would rather have to deal with a bunch pot heads than one stupid spoiled Brat who obviously thinks the world owes her, when all she is owed is a boot upside her posterior. But I guess she has thirty days now to figure that out huh....
    hek1620 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    High on drugs or intoxicated is not an excuse for this behavior. She chose to take the drugs. We live in an era of very little personal responsibility. Seems people want to blame everyone, or everything else for their behavior. If she gets help now, perhaps it will save her from far more serious encounters later in life. I hope so. She needs to understand that her actions have consequences for her. I support the judge.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    My leanings are not conflicting.... Throw someone in jail for an actual crime, not calling the judge a name.

Wasting a month of someone's life for being called a name is not right, period.
    Why is the judge wrong in this? That girl was a complete waste of oxygen in his court and he made an example out of her. Good for him !

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Why is the judge wrong in this? That girl was a complete waste of oxygen in his court and he made an example out of her. Good for him !
    That is what I don't like. A judge should be making decisions based on law and the stndard of his court. Saying he is making an example out her implies she is getting harsher treatment than others to make a point and that is wronng. Everyone needs to be treated equally
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Maybe "making an example out of her" means the the judge is going to insist on respect for the court. Maybe up until that point, kids have been allowed to get away with rude and demeaning behavior and it's time to put the brakes on it. What's next, shouting obscenities and making hand gestures...oh wait, that's what she did.

Besides, the judge didn't say he was making an example out of her...the posters on this thread did.
    OldVet likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    First round, the judge was a bit harsh but it's his prerogative. Second time the girl got what she deserved. I wouldn't mind helping pay for her stay in the gray bar if it were here.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    While I am all for punishing her on her initial drug possession charges, I'm not really a fan of the complete bypass of due process that judges use for 'contempt' and how just calling them a name can land you jail time. Yeah, that's fantastic way to abuse people using their 1st amendment.

I understand the idea behind it (keep people from disrupting proceedings), but in something like this, her saying "F you" while walking away did nothing more than irk an old guy in a robe, who then gave her a month in jail. I disagree.
    Are you offended if someone curses in church? Should it be illegal to scream "fire" in a crowded movie theater?

I am a huge supporter of our Constitution, but let's use some common sense. A reasonable expectation for decency (especially as it relates to a show of respect for this nation and it's processes) should not be reduced under the guise of "free speech."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That is what I don't like. A judge should be making decisions based on law and the stndard of his court. Saying he is making an example out her implies she is getting harsher treatment than others to make a point and that is wronng. Everyone needs to be treated equally
    I bet if you appear before him and give him teh finger you'll get an equally applied 30 days.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    It is called contempt of court and in my area the minimum sentence is 30 days for even a minor infraction..

The judge should be commended for his action and I am sure the word will get around to others that are scheduled to appear before him.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

so wouldn't he be lowering the standards of his court if he let her go without repercussion?

I've got no doubt that the girl in that court is trash, acted disrespectful, and has a world of trouble waiting for her in the future, but.....

The judge started it by being sarcastic with his "bye-bye" and waiving her off. Her reply of adios was no worse than his behavior. The judge can't have it both ways. If he wants respect, he needs to act respectful. He is in the position of authority and he needs to behave in a manner that command s that authority.

Of course her decision to flip him off and tell him to do a physically impossible act was over the line in any event, but he started it.

Lindsay Lohan, I See Images Of Lindsay Lohan: AND THE LAW:

I think this would be a fine Judge for Lindsay Lohan - who has a history as long as my arm of thumbing her nose at the Law and Court because she's a star (or was), has her "people" bend to her every wish (those who are left) and is beautiful (or used to be).

I'm making fun of her and that is not really appropriate because she's an addict, is destroying her young life - and without her stopping she will lose her life. But sometimes the turn-around is not closing the eyes of authority and being firm with the judgement.

You see, we do have Rule by Law in this country, thank God (look at Iran or Syria), so the Judge himself is under the Law. If a higher court would find this sentence excessive he gave the young woman and it needed to lessened, HE would be ordered to do that.

In a country where the Law rules, everyone's decisions have oversight in the legal system, including a President. So, the girl is protected. And she can learn a lesson in her time of 30 days or whatever locked up. Who knows, she may also be an addict who changes out of this experience. From what I saw of her before that judgement, she would be going along a straight path down if given a fine of $100 or something.

My view....

Quote Originally Posted by hek1620 View Post
    so wouldn't he be lowering the standards of his court if he let her go without repercussion?
    Never did I say she should not get punished.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

what a hoot....pretty little doper playing cute gets put on the naughty list by Santa's helper in black robe...It'll take a lawyer to get her liberty back...and defend it...nobody likes a smart***........$.02

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links