The nice man with a Glock

This is a discussion on The nice man with a Glock within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting perspectives in this article. It makes you think. The nice man with a Glock | TBO.com...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: The nice man with a Glock

The nice man with a Glock

Interesting perspectives in this article. It makes you think.

The nice man with a Glock | TBO.com
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

you know I went to high school in Chicago back in the 60"s we had police on every floor of a two city block five story school. Thought nothing about it just the way it was. They even had their own office right next to the student smoking lounge boy things have changed :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They regularly find guns in the schools here on this side of the state. And the author conveniently left out many school shootings. Most high schools have RSOs here. Never saw that until I moved to FL. Before that, a cop at school meant someone got into trouble over the weekend.
    BugDude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I truly didn't realize the world was such a safe place and we were just a bunch of scaredy cats. Thanks Mom!

VIP Member
    That was a good article! I think she's right. Things are no worse today than they were any other time but we expect them to be better.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself" seems as timely now as when FDR said it.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I respectfully submit that those who believe they have nothing to fear might be in for some unpleasant surprises.

VIP Member
    I'm referring to the context of the article.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I found the perspective interesting. Not that I necessarily agree with everything, but several things made me think outside of my own box. Again, not good nor bad, just interesting.

In applying some of the thought process to the proposed anti-gun legislation, much of it is perception. Feel good measures that are an illusion. Politicians can't stop the next big event, but they can pass stupid laws to say they did something (only if it is symbolic) which is only an illusion to the masses until the next reality hits. Then they will cry for the next big illusion.

"With our human gift for denying reality and defying logic, we find comfort in even the flimsiest, most futile publicity stunt or legal edict."

"we have to decide for ourselves what we really want: security, or the feeling of security. I think they're both illusions. There is no such thing as real security, and no point pretending otherwise. You counter a threat only when it makes sense to do so. You accept risk and live with it."

From that point on, it gets a little hokie, but still an interesting read.
    Last edited by BugDude; February 9th, 2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add'l info
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My interpretation of the article was based on what I perceived to be an undertone of implied paranoia toward those who are in favor of providing a measure of actual protection for school children ( ie: The Nice Man with the Glock ). I agree that additional legislation is useless and that many people have been stampeded by propaganda induced fear. What I find objectionable is the notion that we are all pretty safe but are just too unsophisticated to do our own thinking. The fact that a good many people have been convinced to do the wrong things is not all encompassing. There are right things available to do and people who are in favor of doing them. My camp is made on that side of the river.

I think the article is slyly done and tries to guide us to the conclusion that we should not panic; if we just do nothing and wait for a while, everything will be okay. I don't believe I'll have any of that in mine, thank you.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I think as the article guides us that we should not panic. If you live outside the few urban areas where most of the gun crime is, You have little to worry about. But Having a friendly cop in our schools has other benefits. it lets our kids get used to uniformed cops being just like everyone else. It lets the kids become comfortable around them. and it lets the cop get used to the kids. Immigrant groups would do well to have a cop that understands their ways and traditions. What better place to learn this than their elementary schools . But that's just my 2 cents. DR

Links