Blizzard? No, THIS Was a Blizzard: "THE WHITE DEATH":

This is a discussion on Blizzard? No, THIS Was a Blizzard: "THE WHITE DEATH": within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo, NY is the only blizzard I've been through - and never before or since have I seen anything remotely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Blizzard? No, THIS Was a Blizzard: "THE WHITE DEATH":

Blizzard? No, THIS Was a Blizzard: "THE WHITE DEATH":

The Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo, NY is the only blizzard I've been through - and never before or since have I seen anything remotely like it. It was like being on Mars. 10 died freezing to death in cars, another 15 or more from accidents caused by the blizzard, and more from heart attacks etc. Called the White Death it was a killer. Temps were often at wind-chills of -60 degrees, think the low one was minus 70 degrees, winds at steady 45mph with gusts to 70mph, real temps below 0.

Foolishly my then girlfriend and me took a short walk in a lull - any exposed flesh at once had searing pain, the wind picked up and the lull was over. We were but 4' apart and couldn't find each other. The cold made our hearts pound, hard to breathe ... we were completely disoriented. Horrible. We finally found one diner open because the owner couldn't get out. We stayed 4 hrs until another lull and then fought our way back home. A fire truck couldn't get down a street. A pumper, water being pumped froze at once and pumps kept sending more water only to also freeze. Took 2 weeks to chop the giant ice-cube thus formed and get the truck out. The truck blocked all other fire vehicles and the street's houses burned up.

These pics don't really show it because it was over when they were taken, (It lasted almost two full days and nights straight). Now, not to belittle all the people in trouble, serious trouble, due this last storm, THIS was a blizzard:

The White Death:

Struggling Around Tops of Cars:

Rescue Team

Firemen Try To Save Buried House From Collapsing

Traffic Lights at Intersection

Shoveling The Car Out

Walk in the Neighborhood

Clearing Driveway

Clearing Road

Last edited by detective; February 9th, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
    atctimmy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

This is a picture of a good blizzard,
    dairy_queen_oreo_ blizzard.jpg

Your blizzard just looks like a nightmare.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

My brother went out with a crew from our fire company for a week. He was injured when an ambulance slammed into the firetruck he was on.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Wow, those are incredible pictures! Buffalo knows how to have a blizzard! Terrible loss of life though. I hope the people going through this one stay safe and weather the storm.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    My brother went out with a crew from our fire company for a week. He was injured when an ambulance slammed into the firetruck he was on.
    Do you mean during that Buffalo blizzard or a different one?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Hope he's OK - these phenomena of nature are REALLY bad for first responders

Blizzard fun

I used to live in New England and they have been on my mind today with the snow.. but I still have to have some fun.

How New Englanders prepare for a blizzard video.

Also, don't forge to roll up windows, close sun roofs, etc in the snow...

Blizzard picture.jpg
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Wow, those are incredible pictures! Buffalo knows how to have a blizzard! Terrible loss of life though. I hope the people going through this one stay safe and weather the storm.
    Yeah, the real danger in these is your vehicle; if driving it's the worst - especially back in '77 when cars had engine trouble easier in the cold - but anytime. I once got stranded with no ability to start the car - you are really in danger if car is stuck and temps are awful. At least if in a blizzard: if they announce "Don't Drive" believe it and stay home.

If in area with bad winters carry a sleeping bag, thick blankets in trunk + a candle and means to light it (not butane lighter which may not work in zero or less weather - but wood matches). Even a candle can keep you from freezing to death.

Since '77 I do now in winter. A cell phone may not help: police ride in cars too, may not be able to get to you or find you (look at some of those pics of buried cars.)

We got about 16-20 inches but it's hard to tell with the snow drifts. Still without power and the local gas stations are empty. Alot of broken trees. More of a pain in the butt than anything. Just got to use your head and sometimes be creative. We have some good neighbors so we all work together.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I used to live in New England and they have been on my mind today with the snow.. but I still have to have some fun.

How New Englanders prepare for a blizzard video.

Also, don't forge to roll up windows, close sun roofs, etc in the snow...

Blizzard picture.jpg
    God, that photo...hope those people were out of that car and are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MACC12 View Post
    We got about 16-20 inches but it's hard to tell with the snow drifts. Still without power and the local gas stations are empty. Alot of broken trees. More of a pain in the butt than anything. Just got to use your head and sometimes be creative. We have some good neighbors so we all work together.
    We'll be thinking of you. Are the authorities aware you're without power? What are you doing for heat?

Best of luck.

A first hand report.

Don't forget the TP.

If you run out, the Girls will make you get out no matter how bad the storm or deep the snow.
    detective likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We got 3+ feet in two nights while I was in AK, a rarity for the dead of winter there in the interior, but everyone broke out the shovels and plows and worked thru it without complaint. Well, except fot some aching backs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Geez. That looks like the U.P. in...I think it was '96-97?, except all at once!

I'll bet Buffalo has some of same kind of equipment they have in Houghton. You know the snow is going away when you see all that stuff that looks like major earth-moving equipment come out. They can erase feet of snow in no time at all.

Sorry to hear about the loss of life. Snow is like the ocean: it can be fun to play in, but it can kill you pretty darn fast, which is why you never turn your back to it (the ocean that is).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links