Protect schools, children...

This is a discussion on Protect schools, children... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With trained dogs instead of guns..? It won't work, IMO. But that's my opinion... Care to discuss? Story/letter to editor here: http://thegazette.com/2013/02/10/giv...dogs-not-guns/...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Protect schools, children...

Protect schools, children...

With trained dogs instead of guns..?

It won't work, IMO. But that's my opinion... Care to discuss?

Story/letter to editor here: http://thegazette.com/2013/02/10/giv...dogs-not-guns/
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

It may not work, but at least it is a valid proposal rather than just sitting back and proposing “feel good” legislation like most of the political talking heads are doing.

VIP Member
    A trained attack dog costs many thousands of dollars, and requires a trained, effective handler. Even though they are rarely publicized, there occur a fair number of unintended bites from trained K-9s. I would be very reluctant to trust the safety of a child to the judgement of a dog.
    .45acpguy and Alex_C like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    A fully trained K9 for police/military use costs about 10K. Then you have boarding, feeding, vet bills and ongoing training. The cost of the handler is equivalent to about a Sgt or Lt pay on most police forces.

For that amount of money, you could arm and train every school administrator in most school districts. That would put 3-5 armed trained people in every school in the district.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Re: Protect schools, children...

I agree with all points above.. Possible that the writer was countering my own LTE suggesting returning deployed soldiers.. And voluntarily armed, trained teachers and administrators...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Dogs in the class room are a great idea for teaching team work, self esteem, leadership, and responsibility to our young ones. And if the pet mouse gets loose we can find it, and the dog gets a treat!

A dog trained to bite is just that and I would not trust one out of my hand signal or whistle for a second.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Just my 25 cents worth:

1. I do want school children to be as safe as it is possible for us to make them.
    2. I don't think dogs, who are a tremendous asset in some circumstances, would work very well in the school scenario.
    3. I don't think new laws will help any more than the existing laws have.
    4. I don't think doing nothing while hoping for the best will help anything or anyone.
    5. I do think that armed people who can potentially intercept and stop an attacker is a much better idea than #3 or #4.
    6. I am willing to listen to any idea that has even the possibility of doing some good, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights
    of everyone else in our society ( most of whom haven't killed anyone ).
    7. I think the people we have elected as our leaders don't give a hoot about #1 thru #6.

We've had very good success in our women's prison by getting the ladies to train seeing-eye dogs. Improving the quality of future- (or present-) mothering might do more to protect our kids than a million armed guards.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First time a child gets bit all the dogs would have their teeth pulled except for four on top and three on the bottom.
    lionround and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    We've had very good success in our women's prison by getting the ladies to train seeing-eye dogs. Improving the quality of future- (or present-) mothering might do more to protect our kids than a million armed guards.
    With respect, I commend you for your efforts at rehabilitation, but I believe you may be blending a mix of parameters and coming up with an irrelevant result. Even the enormous good a mother can do in preparing her child for the world will likely not protect that child from a madman bent on slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    Even the enormous good a mother can do in preparing her child for the world will likely not protect that child from a madman bent on slaughter.
    I'm trying to reduce the number of madmen instead.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I'm trying to reduce the number of madmen instead.
    Of course, and it is indeed commendable. I just didn't grasp the correlation between good mothers and fewer madmen. Carry on.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    First time a child gets bit all the dogs would have their teeth pulled except for four on top and three on the bottom.
    Not that's funny. I don't care who you are.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I don't get the allusion

A firearm is cheaper than a dog and will not shoot something it shouldn't by itself. A dog is an animal with it's own sense of free will and as soon as it bites a kid it will be put down. Besides, there's nothing to stop a shooter from just shooting the dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links