What, a pope can resign?

What, a pope can resign?

This is a discussion on What, a pope can resign? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Link I didn't realize a pope could resign. As a Catholic, I have mixed feelings about this. I think in some ways he did a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What, a pope can resign?

What, a pope can resign?

Link

I didn't realize a pope could resign. As a Catholic, I have mixed feelings about this. I think in some ways he did a great job, in others, I don't thing he did enough.

Are you catholic? What are your thoughts on this surprising news?

People get old

I don't see this lasting very long but,,,my view as a person that grew up in an Italian family and am no longer a practicing Roman Catholic is this: the pope is just a man, if he decides he can no longer do the job then he should resign.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I'm not Catholic and it also came to a surprise to me that he could resign. I heard on the news that he was in poor health and could no longer perform the way he thought he should so he's resigning. That seems reasonable to me.

No requirement that the office holder has to die in office. If he feels that he is no longer capable of fulfilling the duties of his station, then by all means resign and allow the next standard bearer to take over.
    phreddy likes this.

Unless there is a directive from the Almighty stating the Pope is in office for life and then resigns at "death" then I see no reason why he cannot due to health.

According to what I read, there has not been a resignation for over 600 years and that was when every country claimed a "pope." The word Pope comes from Italian "papa" meaning Father. His official title I believe is "The Bishop of Rome" that harks back to St. Peter.

I'm Episcopalian and my church has Roman Catholic type structure. We belong to the Anglican Communion headed by the Church of England aka Anglican. The Archbishop of Canterbury who is the highest official, (the King or Queen of England is the official head of the chruch) Rowan Williams stepped down and Justin Wilby has been elevated to that position.

We are humans, and nothing is set in stone, even those positions of the Christian Church.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    He is the Pope. Who is going to tell him he can or cannot do anything within the church?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    In before the lock. Purely a religious thread.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'm not too up to speed on the whole papal thing as far as proper procedures, but when is the first scheduled pope debate between the candidates? Will we get wall to wall TV ads here during the election cycle?
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I'm Roman Catholic, and I think he was just an OK Pope. This could be good to get new blood in.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You sure can't force him to remain. Who would want that? The news said it hasn't happened in 600 years, and I'm no Vatican historian, but it sounds like there's presedence.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am not Catholic, but why would you want someone in the job if they feel they can no longer do it?

It seems to me like a mature responsbile decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Link

I didn't realize a pope could resign. As a Catholic, I have mixed feelings about this. I think in some ways he did a great job, in others, I don't thing he did enough.

Are you catholic? What are your thoughts on this surprising news?
    I wish our President was the Pope.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    In before the lock. Purely a religious thread.
    As a Catholic, I wonder if the Pope can conceal carry or does he have to rely on the Pope Mobile for protection? I think he can conceal because he has the perfect outfit for it. Prove me wrong.

If he's in bad health and knows he won't be able to lead, I admire him for stepping aside. It takes a big man to willingly give up power. Now they can take their time to decide on a new Pope instead of being hurried because of a death.

I'm sure the new one will conceal carry too.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

A Pope can in fact resign if he believes he is unable to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the Papacy. It is indeed rare, and has not occurred for over 600 years. I admire Pope Benedict for realizing whatever issues he feels would affect his ability to lead the Church effectively. My family is praying for his health and well being and for continued wisdom as the College of Cardinals elect the new leader of the Church.

Not sure about the concealed carry part; the Swiss Guard does a pretty good job of protecting whoever serves as Pope.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links