"Assault weapons should join banned list"

This is a discussion on "Assault weapons should join banned list" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...According to this Vietnam era veteran Marksman: Guest Column I wrote a too-lengthy response: Mr. Sternowski, Thank you for your service. I apologize for the ...

Thread: "Assault weapons should join banned list"

...According to this Vietnam era veteran Marksman:

Guest Column

I wrote a too-lengthy response:

Mr. Sternowski,

Thank you for your service. I apologize for the length of this response to your guest column in The Gazette.

I appreciate your concerns about assault weapons. Of course, Assault weapons such as the M16 issued during your service, have been generally impossible for the civilian to own, due to their cost ($10,000 +) and due to the federal license required because of the fact that they are fully automatic, or as later modified, capable of burst fire (3 rounds per trigger pull). And, they can't be owned in Iowa... Some states do allow civilians to own fully auto weapons with the proper tax stamp

"Assault rifle" is a term coined by those who wish to ban such weapons... and those folks are now trying inculcate the term "Assault Pistol" into the vernacular by labeling any handgun with a magazine capacity of over 7 (in New York State) or 10, elsewhere around the country. It is just a scare tactic, used to dupe the public into believing these are weapons of war; not suitable for self defense, but only for aggressive action.

Generally everything you say about the .223 round, from the muzzle of the Armalite Rifle 15 (AR 15: Note the AR does NOT mean ASSAULT RIFLE) is correct.
    except for a few details...

If the .223 was such an effective man killer, tearing cone shaped chunks out of people, and even disabling them with near misses:

1. Why is it not commonly used as a deer rifle? Avg. weight of a deer ~203# (buck).
    2. Why, as this young man able to defend his home, himself, and his 13 year old sister, by firing (and hitting with several rounds) his daddy's AR 15 at the home invader; was that criminal able to walk away and get into his car and drive off after having these supposed cone sized chunks of flesh ripped from his body? News story here (ca. 2010) Boy Uses Dad's AR-15 to Shoot Invader - YouTube

If the proposed new assault weapons ban (AWB) is really about saving the children, and not about disarming the citizenry:

1. Why does it EXEMPT the weapon used in the Columbine shooting specifically designed to circumvent the previous AWB (the HiPoint 9mm carbine)?
    2. Why does it not also ban the weapon which was used to fire the most rounds at Columbine (the HiPoint 9mm carbine)?
    3. Why would Diane Feinstein not ban the sale of a weapon she is fully aware was the most used in the the mass murder that occurred DURING her last AWB (the HiPoint 9mm carbine)? http://acolumbinesite.com/weapon.html

I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories. I assume that those who would take away our right to own good "personal defense weapons" must simply be completely ignorant of the facts about such weapons. Why would the Department of Homeland Security consider these weapons (especially with select fire ability to be a "Personal Defense Weapons" for themselves; and yet in a semi-automatic only version (for civilians), an "Assault rifle?" See section C in this link soliciting the "Personal Defense Weapons": https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&m...=core&_cview=0

Finally, I would like you to consider one thing...

If those who founded this country, and wrote our Constitution did not beleive that the citizenry should be armed with firearms similar to those in use by the standing armies of the day (whether then or now) Why did they write the Second Amendment... and follow it with the Third?

Do you remember, from history class; what the Third Amendment said?

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

Before we won our independence, British troops might come to your home... kick you out, take your supplies, foodstuffs, and the like.... Oh, and they might also have "had a go" at your wife or your daughter, or both... It's really not a coincidence that the Third follows the Second, you see. And if the citizenry did not have weapons equivalent to those of the troops, the citizen would not even have a fighting chance...

Nowadays, we don't have to worry about Tories breaking into our homes and using our precious wives and children... but Evil is loose in the world..in the guise of madmen and criminals. And while you may only have to wait for a few minutes (National Average 8 minute response time, for a 911 call) in an urban area... many folks live 20-40 minutes away from law enforcement... and too much can happen in that time... Ask any policeman who has shot a drug addled criminal 8 times or more with a hollow point round, designed to do damage similar to your .223 round, in a different manner. And said criminal continues the attack...

Ask this woman: Teen Mom Kills Home Intruder | Video - ABC News
    Or this woman: Woman shoots and kills intruder in Lincoln County | News OK

Now granted, both used shotguns in these cases; but we cannot deny that an AR 15 would have been as good a "personal defensive weapon" in either case.

Again, Mr. Sternowski, Thank you for your service... and thank you for taking the time to read my response.

Sincerely,

Since he was a draftee, I took out the part calling him to stand behind his oath of enlistment 'to protect the Constitution'
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

One of the first things that Hitler did was to disarm the civilian population and then went on to kill jews. I asked my jewish friend (CCP holder) what the jewish community thought about gun control. I thought if any community would be against any sort of gun control, it would be there. He said that the jewish community is about the same as the rest of the country, some for and some against and most don't care one way or the other.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    One of the first things that Hitler did was to disarm the civilian population and then went on to kill jews. I asked my jewish friend (CCP holder) what the jewish community thought about gun control. I thought if any community would be against any sort of gun control, it would be there. He said that the jewish community is about the same as the rest of the country, some for and some against and most don't care one way or the other.
    The whole world is a bell curve... each segment of society is a bell curve. This nation is divided about 50/50 as far as gun ownership. Gun regulation can swing either way as a result of "the middle" = gun owners that may believe we have to do "something."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links