Am I being too hard?

Am I being too hard?

This is a discussion on Am I being too hard? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read in my local paper this morning - this story - here are the essential details and my rant material. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ August 2002, two ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I being too hard?

Assistant Administrator

Am I being too hard?

I read in my local paper this morning - this story - here are the essential details and my rant material.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    August 2002, two 17 yr olds go trespassing on railroad property, Lancaster PA. They climb on top of a rail car and guess what - they get too close to 12.5kV cables and suffer burns - one 90% the other 15%. That is of course regretable.

They sue Amtrak however - for having no warning signs regarding high voltage overhead cables.

So what happens in court - the current jury verdict results in a $24 Mil judgement against Amtrak for no signs!!!!

Well, sorry folks but maybe this heartless old phart considers trespass as broken rule #1 and second - are there really any 17 yr old kids who do not have some idea about how electric locomotives/railcars operate????

Sorry - this to me just stinks and is an example of the way "litigious fever" has become such a costly bad joke these days. AFAIK Amtrak, in fact most railroad companies - are these days in permanent loss situations - profit is not too common and now - they have a claim against them for two kids who should have known better - easily so.

Am I being too hard? Frankly I do not think so.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Doesn't seem to harsh to me either. Some need to learn the hard way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am right there with you. I just can't for the life of me see how you could convince one person...let alone twelve at one time...that what these kids did deserves any compensation.

This just furthers the thought that no matter what we do, we are not at fault or responsible for our own actions.

I would love to see wanring labels and signs removed, and lawyers that bring frivolous lawsuits to court be publicly humiliated along with their clients.

VIP Member
    I do not think so Chris. Its fasinating how stupidity pays off. Someone who works hard all their life and obey the rules are the ones who are usually dumped on and the stupid ones are rewarded.

They sue Amtrak however - for having no warning signs regarding high voltage overhead cables.
    No stickers on wall sockets warning of the risks of inserting sharp metal objects. No stickers on soldering irons warning of the risks of sticking them up your nose. No warning labels on rope warning that fashioning a noose and reenacting scenes from "Hang 'Em High" isn't very wise. No guidance on umbrellas that use in storms can be a good immitation of a lightning rod.

Some fools will never learn.

The thing is, these fools are gettin' their meal ticket punched on the backs of everyone else.

No indication that the steps to Hell are slippery indeed. Not for fools, at any rate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Actually, I see this as nothing more than a continued abuse of the judicial system. Not by either the litigant or the defendant, but by the judge in particular, and case precedence in general. What we have here is another example of the judiciary writing -- or rather re-writing -- laws which attack the real victim and exonerate the real perpetrator of an offence or offences. The courts continue to write the laws our fore-fathers envisioned to be only within the preview of the legislature, now which is too politically ensnared and corrupt to over-ride the judiciary. Is there any where to go but down?

1943 - 2009
    Sad state of affairs, thanks to greedy ambulance chasing personal injury lawyers.

Reminds me of the moronic tourist in Yellowstone NP who stepped off a boardwalk into a boiling hot spring, then sued the Park Service for not posting signs warning that hot springs were hot and therefore dangerous.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    To hard? No, paying those kids and their families for stupidity is just BS!

I remember as a kid the same kind of stupidity in the New York subway system. The IRT line went underground between 207th street and 191st street stations. Kids would jump on the roof of the train car at 207th, and a couple of really unlucky ones would find out the hard way that the ceiling clearance at 191st street was a little UNDER six inches at the station.

What was left of them was usually discovered at the 168th street station which had a high domed ceiling. I don't remember the city ever being sued for that while I was living there.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

More Lawyers...

need to touch those 'wires'...

OMO...your opinion may vary!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Brings back once more to mind - the Mickey D's ''hot beverage'' fiasco!

Oh and while I am on a legaleeze rant - I see the ad's on TV for ''The offices of - (enter name here)''.

''If you have suffered a this or a that - get in touch with us and we'll screw someone out of loadsa cash for you - and line our pockets at same time".

Sorry - cynicism gets the better of me sometimes. Way too much lack of culpability and responsibility these days and greed reigns supreme.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Oh...I thought they ran on steam & those cables were up there just to show the trains which way to go.

Although I have practiced Law for 30 years, I have to say I hate Law and Lawyers.When my 4 year old daughter was injured in a barnes and noble book store I did not contact the store because it was my fault.I was chasing her and she did not look where she was running and her face hit a bench in the childrens section.She lost a tooth and cracked her jaw bone.I picked her up and went to the hospital.There was no reason to sue because it was not their fault.Not many of my fellow lawyers would have passed that up believe me.

where did the term common sense come from? seems to me to be quite rare.

Life is hard and it is harder when you are stupid. Seems like there was a stupid convention going on in that particular courtroom.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Kick the kids in the a$$, and then kick the attorneys in the a$$, and then disbar them. Disgusting. You're right on the button, Sir.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links