School Security - A Little Too Close to Home

This is a discussion on School Security - A Little Too Close to Home within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This isn't one of my kids' schools, but it is a neighboring school. Yesterday a man walked into the school while kids were going to ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Lish
  • 2 Post By nontechguy
  • 2 Post By Paymeister

Thread: School Security - A Little Too Close to Home

This isn't one of my kids' schools, but it is a neighboring school. Yesterday a man walked into the school while kids were going to class in the morning and was ranting and cursing. He ended up in the office where he punched the principal several times. She and other staff were able to somehow isolate him in the office. The principal than ran from the school to flag down a nearby officer looking for speeders. The principal says he's not the parent of a student at the school.

Man Attacks Oscar Pope Elementary Principal | TheLedger.com

I've long said the way our campuses are set up here there's no good way to secure them that I can see. He apparently entered through a side door that's unlocked from 7:30-8 for teachers and staff. They say they will now keep that door locked. But of course, other doors will be unlocked, especially that time of day as students arrive. Right after Sandy Hook, we had deputies posted at elementary schools, but that obviously didn't last long. This could have of course been so much worse, but is still an eye opening event IMO for those who don't believe schools need police or guards!
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Wow, that's scary. I haven't heard a word about security at my kid's school. They have a plan and I know they care, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're operating under a "it can't happen to us" mentality. Very scary- major kudos to the staff that were able to contain him- that was brave.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    There was a lady in Charleston, Sc that showed up at a school with a loaded weapon, pointed it at adminstrators and pulled the triger multiple time in the last couple of weeks. Luckily the gun malfunctioned. She had a history of mental illness and was even arrested fro threatening President Bush in the past.

Gun-free schools are a fairy tale that will only allow more kids and school employees to get killed. You can't secure a school totaly.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "It can't happen here," but it does.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

About a month ago, in our nearest city, I was coming into work. Just before my shift, the day shift lab techs had one of their smartphones playing the local police scanner channel...

Cops en route to the school... Apparently an aggressive or otherwise suspicious man in the school... all dressed in black... some sort of confrontation with school admin...

Cop asks dispatcher... Have they got the school on lock down?
    Dispatcher: Not yet.
    Cop asks dispatch: Why not?
    Dispatch: Well, they can't seem to get it locked down.
    Cop: silence
    Dispatch: Um ... they don't want to put the school on lockdown.
    Dispatch... apparently he's got a kid with him.
    Cop: What's the status?
    Dispatch... He's leaving with the child, everything seems to be okay...

That's all I heard... Nothing in the news later that day or since...

Maybe it was a complete non-issue... but why was 911 called... if 911 was called, why wasn't the school put on lockdown... WTH is up, they can't/don't want to protect the kids, or they're just incompetent? I'm at a loss on this one...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Palm Beach County Florida has had a school police department since 1972 and officers in most of our schools and part time in the others. IMO, the school district saw the need because of the rapid social decay and increasing crime within the county. We have had no major problems within the schools. It is better to be proactive and address the problem(s) before they happen then to be be reactive as is in the Sandy Hood incident.
    US Army 1953-1977

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    It's a constant worry with no real solution except to arm the teachers. It's not the perfect solution, but there really is no perfect solution. You just do what you can and pray it's enough.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Home school. Then you are the security.
    Paymeister and Ghost1958 like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Yes they need to arm the staff. But for Petes sakes with all the school taxes etc and money they spend on well Ill just say it stupidity at schools if the would states could harden the entrances and windows until no entry could be made without someone letting them in.
    ON a side note the guy that punched the principal probably either caught him with his wife or something over his kid
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Home school. Then you are the security.
    Not needing to jump up on my usual homeschool soapbox... but to anyone vaguely interested,

• Professional teachers have classroom management skills - you don't need 'em;
    • Professional teachers have training in liability reduction and crowd control - you don't need those skills;
    • Professional teachers at the higher levels have specialized training - you can hire tutors or get books or videos (we did this online - http://www.gbt.org was a great help).
    • The biggest things you get from an education are the ability to teach yourself and the character with which to take on the world;
    • I was a certificated high school science teacher in California and taught for 13 years: I'll tell you that YOU ARE INDEED QUALIFIED TO TEACH YOUR CHILD.

I also recognize that a missing parent means the remaining parent likely has to work... and doing that AND homeschooling is pretty rough - my heart goes out to you. But if it's just the fact that you still have payments on the boat... please consider being heroic for your kids' sake. 'Nuf said.

And my daughter's PE class was Krav Maga, and she took Pistol I and II as part of her Senior Year curriculum.
    Jeanlouise and sauerpuss like this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Ghost1958;2607828] could harden the entrances and windows until no entry could be made without someone letting them in.QUOTE]

I agree, that should be the first line of defense.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    [*]Professional teachers have classroom management skills - you don't need 'em;[*]Professional teachers have training in liability reduction and crowd control - you don't need those skills;[*]Professional teachers at the higher levels have specialized training - you can hire tutors or get books or videos (we did this online - Escondido Tutorial Service classical christian homeschool tutorials was a great help).[*]The biggest things you get from an education are the ability to teach yourself and the character with which to take on the world;[*]I was a certificated high school science teacher in California and taught for 13 years: I'll tell you that YOU ARE INDEED QUALIFIED TO TEACH YOUR CHILD.
    If my kids were little again I would definitely look into home schooling. When you add up how much actual time a teacher has to teach, it's probably not more than 2 hours out of a 7 hour day. If you could give your child 2 hours of uninterrupted instruction, I bet they would be getting as good, if not better, education than public schools. There are so many resources for homeschoolers now days, it would't be that hard.
    Your daughter's PE class sounds like a lot more fun than mine was!

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    About a month ago, in our nearest city, I was coming into work. Just before my shift, the day shift lab techs had one of their smartphones playing the local police scanner channel...

Cops en route to the school... Apparently an aggressive or otherwise suspicious man in the school... all dressed in black... some sort of confrontation with school admin...

Cop asks dispatcher... Have they got the school on lock down?
    Dispatcher: Not yet.
    Cop asks dispatch: Why not?
    Dispatch: Well, they can't seem to get it locked down.
    Cop: silence
    Dispatch: Um ... they don't want to put the school on lockdown.
    Dispatch... apparently he's got a kid with him.
    Cop: What's the status?
    Dispatch... He's leaving with the child, everything seems to be okay...

That's all I heard... Nothing in the news later that day or since...

Maybe it was a complete non-issue... but why was 911 called... if 911 was called, why wasn't the school put on lockdown... WTH is up, they can't/don't want to protect the kids, or they're just incompetent? I'm at a loss on this one...
    I think I live pretty damn close to you then cause I remember hearing about that on the local news. School never went to lock down but the cops were called. Everyone seemed pretty tight lipped about it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    This isn't one of my kids' schools, but it is a neighboring school. Yesterday a man walked into the school while kids were going to class in the morning and was ranting and cursing. He ended up in the office where he punched the principal several times. She and other staff were able to somehow isolate him in the office. The principal than ran from the school to flag down a nearby officer looking for speeders. The principal says he's not the parent of a student at the school.

Man Attacks Oscar Pope Elementary Principal | TheLedger.com

I've long said the way our campuses are set up here there's no good way to secure them that I can see. He apparently entered through a side door that's unlocked from 7:30-8 for teachers and staff. They say they will now keep that door locked. But of course, other doors will be unlocked, especially that time of day as students arrive. Right after Sandy Hook, we had deputies posted at elementary schools, but that obviously didn't last long. This could have of course been so much worse, but is still an eye opening event IMO for those who don't believe schools need police or guards!
    My wife does some substitute teaching for various elementary schools in our area. She has told me about one school that has a door on the side of the school that stays open/unlocked all day long so parents can pick up their kids as necessary. She was very aware of the potential for big problems arising from this. There are just too many issues and too many unstable people to allow items like this to go on as if there is never going to be a problem.

I have considered home schooling many many times. My biggest reason is more curriculum than anything else, but security does play a role (even peer to peer safety). I'm confident that I'm qualified to homeschool, until recently I was dual certified in elementary Ed K-6 and ese K-12 - it's more the patience I don't know that I have. (I taught severely disabled students which I have a passion for, not regular ed) With kids in grades 9, 6, 4, 2 and K, one of them ese, it's a lot to take on. Of course maybe at my own pace and without the hustle of getting them ready for school it's something I may one day consider. Right now I'm working to help keep a roof over our heads.

I did see in the paper yesterday our superintendent talking about how against he is regarding teachers being armed. Not surprising, but I'll write the state legislation regarding my views for what it's worth.

Sponsored Links