Maybe Turning 40 Won't Be Too Bad...

This is a discussion on Maybe Turning 40 Won't Be Too Bad... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I'm one of those ladies that has been dreading turning 40 for about a decade. IDK why really, but it's true. Well, it's finally ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Maybe Turning 40 Won't Be Too Bad...

So I'm one of those ladies that has been dreading turning 40 for about a decade. IDK why really, but it's true. Well, it's finally upon me - next month. So the other night my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said I really want to try a Little Foxx holster and I want us to Duracoat my XD (I know, I know, but I really want a pink gun - I just don't like the ones that already come in pink). His response was... "I was thinking maybe you'd rather have a gift certificate to the gun store" So I started explaining how the gun store really doesn't carry woman related gear and that's what I want. He said "no, I was thinking like a $600 gift certificate so you could pick out another gun" LOL after I picked myself up off the ground, I said "how about cash so I can shop around!" Now to go through my wish list and figure out what I want most in that price range! I feel like a kid in a candy store - last time I went gun shopping I had to sell one to buy one. Now I get to just add one

The same night my sister in TX called and said she wants to fly me out for a girls weekend for my birthday! I've got 5 kids so I've never gone out of town unless it's a family trip and even those are rare! With her schedule and mine, the trip won't happen for a couple months but I'm super excited!

So a new gun and a trip to TX!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    40 is nothing, 50 is harder, 60 is a pain--literally. But then women nver get beyond 39, so...

But pink?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

40 is horrible. But 50 and 60 are worse. Now that you are officially over the hill, can I have your guns?

Caution on the Pink gun thingy. It seems kids think they are toys because of the bright, friendly color. Happy Birthday and good luck on your shopping trip and your mini-vacation. Sounds great.
    Lish likes this.

Turned 40 this year and it wasn't too bad. The mind is still young. I have noticed all my injuries from my twenties,( dirt bikes, sports, etc), have been catching up with me though. Remember, it's just a number.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

I'd like to be 40 again. It's all relative anyway, right? I have liked 'mid-life' a lot: no more 20-something cluelessness, financial matters are in good shape, what's not to like?

So,have a happy birthday and enjoy the life you've earned for yourself. At 40, you've still got some work ahead, but it's not too early to start reaping the rewards of the good decisions you've made.

Cheers!
    Lish likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    40 isn't too bad. It takes longer to recover than when you are 30.

I am 42. My wife is 35. Let me tell you. 40 is nothin. My father in law is 70 (birthday is today). The man still plays on-line video games (like Borderlands 2) with my brother-in-law, myself and our friends. The man thinks nothing of going to the range with us and going for a single malt scotch with us after. If that is 70, then I would be a wimp for complaining about 40.

My father-in-law is proof that age is a moot point, it is attitude that is everything...

P.S.: Happy Birthday!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Congratulations! You are now officially a cougar! When my wife turned 39 +1 I use to ask for the "cougar" when I called her at work.

Intersting facts about the number 40:
    40 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lish and msgt/ret like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My wife has gotten more beautiful with age which keeps my heart pumping
    Jeanlouise likes this.

I would say being excited about a new gun for your birthday puts you in the "younger than your age" category!!! And coolness trumps biological age any day! Nice gift, great husband, terrific sister- ENJOY!!!

Sounds like a good birthday to me! Age is just a number. Enjoy!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Happy Birthday! 40 is a great age. You're still young but old enough to realize how fast time flies. Enjoy every minute of it.
    You are going to have so much fun picking out your new gun! IMO, if you have 5 kids, a weekend with your sister in Texas will be heaven. Just think...no dishes, no meals to make, no laundry, no baths, no soccer games, no etc. Just a weekend of quiet bliss!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    40 hit me pretty hard... 50 not so much. At 40 I figured I was prob past the 1/2 way point!

Turning 40 is WAY better than not turning 40!
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My father-in-law is proof that age is a moot point, it is attitude that is everything...
    I got the attitude, I don't have the knees, back, shoulders, eyes, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Happy Birthday! 40 is a great age. You're still young but old enough to realize how fast time flies. Enjoy every minute of it.
    You are going to have so much fun picking out your new gun! IMO, if you have 5 kids, a weekend with your sister in Texas will be heaven. Just think...no dishes, no meals to make, no laundry, no baths, no soccer games, no etc. Just a weekend of quiet bliss!
    Lol yeah with 5 kids, I'm come to view one of my boys' annual 24 hr EEG as a mini vacay - he gets admitted for 24 hours every year and spends the time playing video games or playing with toys. We're stuck in one room and it's SO QUIET! I bring my iPad and a bunch of snacks for us and just relax. This year's is coming up next week and I already have a list of shows to catch up on online. LOL, poolside in TX will be HEAVEN!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links