Is America The Greatest Country in the World?

This is a discussion on Is America The Greatest Country in the World? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is America The Greatest Country in the World? I don't have a good answer. Part of me wants to say yes, but most of me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is America The Greatest Country in the World?

Is America The Greatest Country in the World? I don't have a good answer. Part of me wants to say yes, but most of me wants to say not anymore and it is getting worse.

This is the beginning of a new HBO series called The Newsroom and the answer gets you to start thinking.
    ****WARNING... it has some language found on a construction site, assembly line, or a naval ship *****

What are your thoughts?
    NMB likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That silent pause is awesome! I have to agree with him, we live on the reputation of our past.

Jeff Daniels is argumentively the most under-rated actor alive today. His versatility is unlimited and he's an outstanding supporter of the arts in his hometown.
    NMB likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I will have to check it out, thanks.

Wow, great share- I found it interesting. I might have to check this show out.

Great TV. Lousy philosophy. We were NEVER any more of those things than we are now. Don't over-hype nostalgia. All of those things happen today, and just as often as they did before.

The speed of information is different, so we see more good (and bad) information more quickly. And of all the things he said, that's the only real difference.

And his speedy numbers are WAY skewed. Yes, we're ranked pretty low in education....if you remember we include in that ranking countries that do not educate everyone. Leaving people out of the system because their culture has decided they cannot learn, or are not valuable enough to educate, kinda skews those numbers.

Yes, our defense spending is pretty high. It pretty much matches our low casualty to conflict numbers.

Apples to apples, is all I'm saying. When you lay that out....the answer is "yes". Other nations that are becoming great are doing so because they follow us.

VIP Member
    Well after being to 20+ different countries myself there is no other country I would prefer to live in than the USA.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

NMB
    I hate to quote Ted Nugent but,

”The whole world sucks, but America still sucks less.”
    packinnova likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

We can make this the greatest county in the world. But it will take hard work, sacrifice, and common sense. Three things that congress lacks.
    mwhartman likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    And his speedy numbers are WAY skewed. Yes, we're ranked pretty low in education....if you remember we include in that ranking countries that do not educate everyone. Leaving people out of the system because their culture has decided they cannot learn, or are not valuable enough to educate, kinda skews those numbers.
    You do understand it's a TV show with a script, don't you? It makes good drama, not documentary.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We still have the biggest economy and the best military.

We may not be as free as we once were, but this is still the best country in the world. (so far)
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Yes, but the bar is so much lower than it has been previously...

I'm a giant fan of Jeff Daniels. He emotes so well sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

As long as we continue to have more people wanting to enter this country than leave it...yeah, we're still the greatest. Supposedly, Cuba has better health care but I don't see people lined up on the docks of Miami waiting for the ships to leave for Havana.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Actually, Alaska is the greatest country in the world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links