Always Keep in Mind When Posting on Forums:

This is a discussion on Always Keep in Mind When Posting on Forums: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sometimes I read a post like "They should HANG all perps without a trial!" and I think of the poster down the line being investigated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Always Keep in Mind When Posting on Forums:

Always Keep in Mind When Posting on Forums:

Sometimes I read a post like "They should HANG all perps without a trial!" and I think of the poster down the line being investigated in a shooting he was in and the DA looking at that post, which he could subpoena - and likely would if he knew the person belonged to gun forums (and he could find out).

The DA would react with glee once he saw it. It shows a predisposing violent attitude that would not make the person look good.

So, it's likely a good idea if you have thoughts like that - even if you don't really mean them - to keep in mind any forum is on the Internet. Once on the internet, privacy is an illusion. I don't think I hide any impulses of mind I'm secret about, but I do remember I'm not alone just thinking. I'm writing to a public.

Anyway, thought I'd share my observation for what it's worth.

(By the way, as with anything just your own business, I don't think it's a good idea to post such things while at work using a company computer. For obvious reasons.)
    KBSR, msgt/ret, NCSoxFan and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

This begs the question, has DC ever been subpoenaed or cooperated with a law enforcement/justice system request for the email addresses or registration information of members/posters?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I think a "good shoot" is a good shoot regardless of the type of gun, modifications to the gun, type of ammo, or what you type on here.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Good advice.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I think a "good shoot" is a good shoot regardless of the type of gun, modifications to the gun, type of ammo, or what you type on here.
    I think you are right, but as we know the devil is in the details. What initially looks like a good shoot to you and the investigating officer can go south in a hurry if the court of public opinion turns the person you shot into the victim. The original district attorney may not prosecute but that doesn't mean an anti-gun government won't locate a DA who will.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Good advice. I couldn't agree more.

Great advice. One must always be mindful of what they "say" on the interwebs, just as they would in real life. Anything you say (or type) can and will be used against you.

Once something is on the internet, it's there to stay and that is fact.
    Ratpacker likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Good advice!

Since this is just between you and me... we lost all our guns in that boating incident on the Potomac last month.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Think in that case Id suggest my lawyer try to get the DAs internet records emails etc. Might get your charges totally dismissed if Mr DA is having fun with the farm animals or some such on the net in his off hours
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Good advice!

Since this is just between you and me... we lost all our guns in that boating incident on the Potomac last month.
    Yeah, she lost mine too. Last time I let her borrow all my guns and ammo.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Yeah, she lost mine too. Last time I let her borrow all my guns and ammo.
    I told you I was sorry.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

There's a lot of things those who are barely computer literate don't know and assume everything they do online is just that, anonymous.

Let this serve as an eye opener to those who may fall into the above category and a reminder to those who know better.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I told you I was sorry.
    Yes, yes, quite all right. I won't bring it up again.

Want to know the difference between men and women? I've been on this forum since June and you've been here since October, but you've got about triple the number of posts that I do. I'm pretty sure my wife says 10x the number of words in a day as I do. I guess I better shut up now in case she ever subpoenas my posts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Yes, yes, quite all right. I won't bring it up again.

Want to know the difference between men and women? I've been on this forum since June and you've been here since October, but you've got about triple the number of posts that I do. I'm pretty sure my wife says 10x the number of words in a day as I do. I guess I better shut up now in case she ever subpoenas my posts.
    She doesn't have to subpoena them, she just has to log on.
    And for your information mr smarty pants, I probably have 10 times your posts because the ones in Off Topic & Humor don't count. So there.
    Ransom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    This begs the question, has DC ever been subpoenaed or cooperated with a law enforcement/justice system request for the email addresses or registration information of members/posters?
    Right, but lawyers are paid to "beg the question". It doesn't prove it's a bad shooting, but it can be used to a paint a picture to whoever. Would depend on the DA in an area felt about civilians with guns and the known facts of the event. A DA that was hostile to the idea could be swayed, one step closer to decision to prosecute - or something to use with a Jury if the case was or looked ambivalent to begin with and was in trial.

I'm just suggesting not to muddy the waters, especially if the law is already on your side or would be.

(Besides, evidence - and your writing is evidence - of a predisposing attitude that might make your judgement fail is grist for the mill. You may have wounded someone whose story is that for no reason you shot him, something like that. )
    Last edited by detective; February 14th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links