Married men and women..

This is a discussion on Married men and women.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've seen a lot of posts about having to convince the wife that a new gun is really an old one (etc.), is this really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Married men and women..

Married men and women..

I've seen a lot of posts about having to convince the wife that a new gun is really an old one (etc.), is this really all jokes or is it actually a real problem?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

real issue for me. my wife hates guns, but I'm the man, and I feel it is necessary for family protection... I know it sounds sexist, but its the way i view it
    blitzburgh, jbird and Ghost1958 like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I view it the same way and I don't think it's sexist, especially if your better half despises guns.. the duty must fall on somebody's shoulders!
    Ghost1958 and Badey like this.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not married, but most of the woman I've dated/been involved with were pretty indifferent about guns.. they either didn't care for them one way or another or wanted one only if it was pink.

I don't necessarily inform her of my purchases. She doesn't seem to really care. If she asks, "This? I've had it" or "I got a really good deal on it." Seems to go just fine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Oh, It's real!! The Mrs. never grew up/exposed to ANY gun. Took 4 years to get her to shoot my Daisy Red Ryder (ALMOST the best gun ever!)
    Then, convinced her to shoot my Ruger .380 LCP.....LOVED IT!
    But....now she doesn't want to play w/ my Big Ugly Black Rifle......

There's an upside to this! To her,"Black" pistols all "look alike"....So, I go pistol shopping, come home with a new "black pistol"....she knows nothing about guns- So my 9mm/.40/
    .45... ALL LOOK THE SAME!! BAM! home free......Except now, she shut down the $$$$ to buy ammo, that I can barely find..... Oh well, I love her and she supports me & the 2nd and didn't vote for the marxist....so, she's a keeper!!!
    AZ_Larz_NY and blitzburgh like this.

VIP Member
    My husband and I buy our guns together. It's like anything else. If it means your little kid can't take piano lessons or karate, then no, you shouldn't be buying another gun. But, if it's discretionary income, then why not?

Truthfully though, I once bought a new chair for the livingroom and my husband didn't notice for a week. So that ole..."we've had that for ages" really can work.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My goal is to be a good husband. Debt-free is more important than a new pistol. Had I conducted myself with financial responsibility in years past I would be in the position to make such purchases, but I'm digging out right now. No new firearms here for a looooong time.

Every major purchase (in our current financial state anything over say $25.00) is a joint decision. To be truthful the only way she knows what guns are in the safe is when she reads the insurance list, but I respect her enough not to try to sneak one past her. On the other hand I also can trust her not to go out and spend money on items that we really don’t need. In fact I have to beg her to buy something for herself that does not come from a thrift shop. Perhaps one day our financial picture will allow for discretionary spending, but not any time soon.
    OnePlink and Speewack like this.

part of the reason black handguns are so popular, they blend in and all look the same.
    AR15VSCoyote and BugDude like this.

Re: Married men and women..

We run any large purchases by each other. I've bought two pistols this year and she knows I'm planning a third. "If you think you need it, get it," is her typical response. She doesn't like guns but her dad and sister were cops.

I handle our finances and pay the bills and she likes it just fine that way. I think that's part of the reason. Bills are paid, money's saved/invested, she doesn't care what I do next.
    Speewack and AR15VSCoyote like this.

I have a GREAT WIFE! She let's me buy almost anything I want. Just today, I spent the entire day going to various gun shops trying to find more reloading supplies. I also told her today I am looking for a new gun, I did also tell her I am looking to trade some stuff for it. She is cool with it. She says as long as the bills get paid I don't care. ;)

Be safe!
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Well the wife started pushing me to start picking up guns just before the last election because of Obama. I had at the time two hand guns a 22 rifle 243 and a 12 ga pump. She wanted me to pick up a couple of ARS and few more handguns swearing he would come out after guns in his second term, I didnt think he could possibly win so I blew her off as money is always a little tight.
    One election two surgeries later I had sold down to a shotgun and 22 lr though I was borrowing a edc. Now im slowly rearming though AR or AK is out of the question for now. Wish I had listened to her
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I tell my wife up front before any new purchases. We are a team and a team won't work if 1/2 is keeping financial secrets.

A couple of times I had considered not telling her about one because the timing wasn't great for us but the deal was too good to pass up. In the end i told her because I didn't want to deal with the guilt. To me it was easier to here her grumble about it than to carry the weight of the deception on my shoulders.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

In my house weapons are a pretty substantial purchase so they are of course discussed prior to purchase. And are mostly agreed on prior to purchase, mostly.
    atctimmy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links