Proposed Law Against Carrying "Burglary Tools."

This is a discussion on Proposed Law Against Carrying "Burglary Tools." within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really don't know how this will fly. I can see the ACLU attacking the very notion that we "profile" people who are likely to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Proposed Law Against Carrying "Burglary Tools."

Question Proposed Law Against Carrying "Burglary Tools."

I really don't know how this will fly. I can see the ACLU attacking the very notion that we "profile" people who are likely to be up to no good. I do like the fact that these people are being noticed and the tools they use to enter people's homes are identified as such. It seems like a good idea but I am certain there will be an outcry against it.

Officers Hope Proposed Law Can Help Stop Theft Crimes - WSAZ.com - Severe Weather and Breaking News Coverage in West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Possession of burglary tools is illegal in many states.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I can understand the appeal of such a law, but "burglary tools" kind of falls into the same grey area as "assault weapons" doesn't it?
    msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Define burglary tools !

Heck if I got stopped and any LEO looked in my truck's tool box half the contents are
    capable of a B&E.
    atctimmy and msgt/ret like this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

"Can you show me your license for that screwdriver?"
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

That's a law that's been around for a while. If charged with it, it will be up to a jury to decide whether the tools you had were intended for burglary. But still, the reality of the legal system is that being put before a jury is a punishment in itself, and this law gives a cop too much discretion to put you through that.

Interesting thing about criminal trials- if you are poor, a lawyer will be appointed for you free of charge, and public defenders are usually pretty good criminal lawyers, because that's all they do. But if you are middle class, you will end up having to pay thousands of dollars to a lawyer who has most of his experience doing personal injury cases. Not fair, in my opinion.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Interesting thing about criminal trials- if you are poor, a lawyer will be appointed for you free of charge, and public defenders are usually pretty good criminal lawyers, because that's all they do. But if you are middle class, you will end up having to pay thousands of dollars to a lawyer who has most of his experience doing personal injury cases. Not fair, in my opinion.
    I betting a lot of poor folks sitting in jail would differ with you on the quality of their overworked, underpaid "appointed" counsels. And what person in their right mind would hire a "personal injury" lawyer for a criminal case? Doesn't sound like you thought this out before posting.
    40Bob and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Define burglary tools !

Heck if I got stopped and any LEO looked in my truck's tool box half the contents are
    capable of a B&E.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    "Can you show me your license for that screwdriver?"
    Under Section 810.06, Florida Statutes, it is unlawful for a person have in his or her possession any tool, machine, or implement with intent to use the tools, machines, or implements (or allow others to use them) to commit a burglary or a trespass.

To prove the crime of possession of burglary tools in Florida, the state must prove the following three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
    The defendant intended to commit a burglary or trespass;
    The defendant had in his or her possession a tool, machine, or implement that he or she intended to use, or allow to be used, in the commission of a burglary or trespass;
    The defendant did some overt act toward the commission of a burglary or trespass.
    msgt/ret, OldVet and 40Bob like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    I think a law against tools is idiotic. There's nothing more I really need to say except that tools are not the problem.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    I carry a Bic even though I don't smoke. I hope I don't get busted for carrying arson tools.
    msgt/ret, atctimmy and sixgun like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    "slim jims" are considered burglary tools.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think the type of people charged with this are usually riding a bike, wearing a hoodie and have certain tools with them but cannot explain why. For example, seen behind a car in a dark parking lot, ran to his bike, stopped by police and no reasonable explanation for why he has a large screwdriver in his pocket and a duffel bag with a brick inside.

Duh. He was going to smash the window with the duffel bag, jam the screwdriver in the ignition and steal the car.

Why are we complaining about this? Nobody is getting stopped in their work truck and being charged with possession of a toolbox.

There are many kinds of 'paraphanelia' and it's not hard to figure it out.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    People my laugh and joke about the need for the law but in my area it is not an uncommon charge and hold up in court. Problem is most cases of this type are plea bargained and the individual gets off with a slap on the wrist.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Our town enacted a "no hoodie" law. It's against the law to walk around in a hoodie with the hood up.

It's a convenient way for the police to stop someone after a robbery or assult. No one has EVER been stopped for strolling down the street minding their own business with their hoodie up. It gives the cops some flexability when they are actively looking for a criminal.

Maybe this law is for the same purpose. You'll never be stopped for having those tools unless their looking for a thief.

I don't have a problem with it but I know other people will.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most "burglary tools" charges will be secondary add-ons to other charges. The charge-them-with-a-lot-and-convict-on-something process.

As for that screwdriver in my pocket? It's my "weapon" of choice, and I have a CWFL to cover it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links