Gotta Love the Wildlife!

This is a discussion on Gotta Love the Wildlife! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of the few smart things I did when I moved to Florida was to buy a lot on a canal. I couldn't handle one ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Gotta Love the Wildlife!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Gotta Love the Wildlife!

One of the few smart things I did when I moved to Florida was to buy a lot on a canal. I couldn't handle one of those "communities" where surrounding neighbors can look (and nearly reach into) in your windows. Both lots to the sides of me are undeveloped also, as are many in my area. With so many overgrown lots, there is a lot of wildlife still in the area.

I used to watch momma quail and her tiny chicks hop across the lawn--until enough cats moved in and the quail disappeared. I regularly see rabbits, squirrels (which get trapped and released far away), many ducks and birds flying along the canal (including pink spoonbills and my resident osprey) and the rare wild turkey. Momma bobcat and cubs make a pass thru from time to time, as well as the raccoons and possums. And my buddy, Mr. Ali Gator, will make his presense known when he chooses.

So a few minutes ago I glance out the window and at first think I see the raccoons running across the canal bank. Second look and I see that it's two otters chasing each other around. That's my first sighting of them. Quite playful but very shy. They are also larger than what a lot of people think. I don't know it they are doing a swim-by or have been around for a while, but I hope they stick around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Ever have any manatees make a showing?

.....and hows the fishing in that canal?

My out..... I mean, In-Laws, useta live in the Avon Park area. Love being outside in south Fl.!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    No manatees due to a nearby spillway blocking access, but they are right down the road. The spillway also blocks most fish from entering, so it's mainly Gars, catfish and the like. Those probably enter when the canal is high, usually after tropical storms, etc.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you are hoping they stick around, I am hoping that you don't enjoy catching fish from the canal. I have had otters get in my lake and every time I turned around they eating a 5lb bass. They never finished a fish. After awhile I decided they weren't amusing enough to stay around.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    One of the things I really liked about Florida was seeing wildlife you never see up north. Same with Palm trees. I remember being so fascinated the first time I ever saw one in real life.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

One of the major perks that I have is seeing wildlife as I drive around working.

I see lots of White Tailed Deer, Wild Turkey, and the ususual assortment of rodent life from Chipmunks to Oppossum and the occasional Ground Hog. I see Red Tailed Hawks and once I got to witness a Golden Eagle who was passing through the area.

My main event in the spring is rescuing Eastern Box Turtles from the road so the Redneck boys whizzing down the country roads don't just run over and squash them for fun. I stop, go move them off the road to safety and then continue on.

I am a wild life kind of guy.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    That's pretty funny as I see the same thing: people running off the road to get a possum but stopping traffic to carry a gopher turtle to safety. I guess there's no sport in a slow-moving target.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Links