Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted

This is a discussion on Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "The two boys, ages 10 and 11, told authorities that they were also going to kill, or "get," six more students at Fort Colville Elementary ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted

Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted

"The two boys, ages 10 and 11, told authorities that they were also going to kill, or "get," six more students at Fort Colville Elementary School in Colville, Washington,..."
    "The two boys were going to kill the other six students by luring them away from school one at a time, court papers said."
    Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted - CNN.com

When I was in the fifth grade all I cared about was finding out where the fish were biting and when I could take the boat out .......

I had access to the guns in my house but 'knew better'..... meaning 'killing' the bullies in my life didn't occure to me.

What do ya'll think 'we' are doing wrong... ??? What are we doing right... ???
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Fifth-grade boys' plot to kill a classmate thwarted - CNN.com

When I was in the fifth grade all I cared about was finding out where the fish were biting and when I could take the boat out .......

I had access to the guns in my house but 'knew better'..... meaning 'killing' the bullies in my life didn't occure to me.

What do ya'll think 'we' are doing wrong... ??? What are we doing right... ???
    Same here all I cared about was heading to the beach for some surfcasting, riding my friend’s go-kart and running my paper route. Bullies you just did your best to avoid them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Scary stuff. In fifth grade I was thinking about basketball and girls.

Its this stupid wanna be little gangsters idea of I gots have mys respects. If mom or dad had fired up their behinds a few times long before this take control and show them they are KIDS with no say in anything except what they are allowed to do by their parents because they are KIDS not adults this crap wouldnt happen.
    If id even talked about something like that at that age I wouldnt have been able to sit down for a week.
    No parenting , and out of control kids.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

My guesses include...

1- Selfish parents that don't understand some things are not appropriate for children but expose them to it because they don't want to give it up. Usually some form of media.

2- Parents not around or involved and these kids were raised by their peers.

It's difficult to raise children as children when the rest of the world expects them to be little adults. Then they scratch their head when they don't have the mental capacity to be little adults. Usually after they do something crazy.
    oldnfat likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Back in my day the worst thing that could happen was a fist fight after school, but most of us were to much in a hurry to get to the ballfield to waste time on that. There's something seriously wrong with today's youth, and there is no one thing to blame, and no one thing that will correct it, But guns are not the problem, it's the people.
    palmgopher and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am trying to figure out how a good spanking would stop kids from having homicidal plans? Somebody enlighten me on that one. Evidence goes both ways about using corparal punishment and how a child will develop. I advocate neither one. It is up to the parents to decide how to raise a kid. But it makes you wonder when so many people get brought into court and their defense is that they were "abused" (spanked) as a child.

For every kid I know that was hit by their parents and got into trouble I knwo the same amount that did not. Some folks seem to think that a good spanking is the soluton. A spanking might correct small behavioural problems such as white lies, petty theft as a child, disrespecting elders. I highly doubt a good spanking would have stopped these sick kids.

And anyways...how do alll of you in the "spanking" crowd just always assume that the parents did not spank the child? You have no clue. It sounds really cool to take a tough stance without knowing ANY of the facts about the childrens backgrounds.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Wow, very scary stuff. From the article: Under Washington state law, children between the ages of 8 and 12 are presumed to not have a capacity to commit a crime, prosecutor Rasmussen told CNN.

They'll have to re-think that law because this was an obviously well thought out and excuted plan by a couple of up-and-coming sociopaths.

There is SO much wrong going on there. What are 10 and 11 year olds doing in a "dating situation"? What are the parents doing while their little boys are "dating" and stealing weapons from their dead Grandfather's house? How does that happen?

They think the little girl was disrespectful to them and "laughed" at them? Maybe because she had a clue that the whole group of them are warped?

I hope the court take them seriously when they said they would hunt down and kill whoever snitched on them and ruined their plan to murder their classmates.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

When I was in 5th grade I didn't even know what death is. Well, you know what I mean.

I think that it's a combination of parenting and society.

I wasn't hit by my parents, but they made it very clear what was expected and there were penalties for doing something wrong. Sometimes it was as simple as explaining why something was wrong or bad, correlating it to bad behavior or a bad event, and then being told to stay in my room for the next few days and write a report on that event using our encyclopedias. The emphasis was on understanding why the action or behavior was bad, making it tangible, and then providing positive reinforcement later for good behavior.

As far as society goes, this just wasn't something that happened. Who knows what the root cause is, but things are far different today than they were in the mid 1970s. I'm sure that every generation feels that way - sometimes for the better, but things today are messed-up. Many kids today grow-up with a sense of entitlement, lack of respect for anything, lack of empathy for others, lack of faith (that ties behavior to something bigger than themselves or longer lasting than today), and lack of purpose or goals. My wife and I do our best to address this with our kids, but even so you need always be alert for bad behavior and influences.

When I was in 5th Grade I had a gun rack with my 12 GA, 30-30, and .22 in my room, right next to a picture of Farrah Fawcett. I got into the occasional fight like other kids, but once it was done you got over it and a few days later you were playing with the same kids again. Things weren't perfect by any means, but it wasn't crazy.

But I'd agree with you, there is something society is doing wrong. Lately I've been on the hunch it has a lot to do how with our society deals with problems. Rather than confront the source, traditional thinking would have you believe "covering up" the problem is the solution. With this mentality our people resort to things like anti-depressants rather than finding the heart of the issue. I find it interesting that people are so quick to blame guns for hateful acts but won't bat an eye at America's problem with prescription drugs. I read an interesting article that linked a lot of the highly advertised mass shootings (done by people who's names I refuse to utter) to some kind of anti-depressant or drug. Just one way of looking at it, I realize its not just one thing but the sum of them all.

VIP Member
    Back in my short-lived retail days, there was a young boy terrorizing the displays on the shelves while the father completely ignored him. Another father and well-behaved daughter couldn't believe what was happening. Afterwards I said there was nothing wrong with that little boy that slapping the snot (actually something else!) out of the father wouldn't fix. The other father readily agreed.

Therein lies the baseline of the problem with kids these days: lack of parental guidence.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It's difficult to raise children as children when the rest of the world expects them to be little adults. Then they scratch their head when they don't have the mental capacity to be little adults. Usually after they do something crazy.
    I agree. Why are people forcing their little kids into adulthood so soon? They only have a couple of years to be little and innocent, don't take that from them. I see it in even the simple things like clothing. It's almost impossible to find clothes for young girls that don't make them look like teenagers. And, it's almost impossible to find clothes for teenagers that don't make them look like hookers. We need a serious "reset" in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There's something seriously wrong with today's youth, and there is no one thing to blame, and no one thing that will correct it, But guns are not the problem, it's the people.
    Absolutely right!
    oldnfat likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    That's the exact problem with my D-in-L, who happens to be a teacher. She just cannot accept that her kids are 3 and 5 and will not act like they're 21. She must have been miserable as a child.

It's already been said but I think it bears repeating. This is a symptom of the breakdown in the family structure. Parents are not raising their children to be decent, honest people anymore. There is too much of a what I call an entitlement complex. These mothers are pumping out babies in order to get more state benefits, but they can't handle the ones they've got already, or they are babies themselves. We as a society need to shift the focus back to our core, which is a strong family. If we have that, then the rest will be fixed as a result.
    oldnfat likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links