C and R question that I can't really find the answer to

This is a discussion on C and R question that I can't really find the answer to within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm thinking about getting my c and r license because it is my understanding that some items like a mosin nagant will come right to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottM

Thread: C and R question that I can't really find the answer to

C and R question that I can't really find the answer to

I'm thinking about getting my c and r license because it is my understanding that some items like a mosin nagant will come right to my front door.

The question is this.

By obtaining this license does that make it so that I can be searched at basically any time without warning like a person who has their class 3 or whatever it is that lets you have a suppressor? I'd like to get my c and r but if I could be searched at anytime for no reason then I don't think I will get it.

2. Remove Ads

Re: C and R question that I can't really find the answer to

As far as I know, they can "audit" you and go through your log book of acquisitions. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

That reminds me, I need to fill out my C&R paperwork and send it in.

Thanks for the information.

Re: C and R question that I can't really find the answer to

What's C&R?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    What's C&R?
    Curio & Relic licence.

It allows you to purchase C&R eligible firearms across state lines and generally for dealer cost. You must keep a log book of all of your acquisitions and the ATF gets to check on it whenever they choose.

C&R eligible firearms, last I knew, were those 50 years old, or older, or those which have been specifically stated on the list of C&R firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    What's C&R?
    Curio and Relic collectors license (03 FFL, not to be confused with 'Class 3').

Let's you order guns that are 50+ years old or more, or guns specially designated as C&R.

Depending on your state, you can have them delivered to your house without going through a regular FFL. Some of the less free states still make you go through an 01 dealer though.

I've had one for a decade now and the only time I've ever been contacted by ATF was when a series of tornadoes came through my area. The agent was checking to see if my collection was scattered across the countryside.

You have to keep records of your purchases and dispositions, but not as strict as a regular FFL. Not a license to 'deal' guns, but rather to collect and enhance your collection.

And places like Brownell's and Midway give discounts to C&R holders.

It is my understanding that ATF will make an appointment to check the C&R book, not just drop by unannounced. Like anything, don't do stupid things to get on the radar.

Others will be along to add more details.
    Ksthumper likes this.

Links