Generation Gap

Generation Gap

This is a discussion on Generation Gap within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A very self-important college freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why ...

Thread: Generation Gap

DC Founder

Generation Gap

A very self-important college freshman attending a recent football game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one," the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed processing and....," pausing to take another drink of beer.

The senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young, so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little s***head, what are you doing for the next generation?"

Don't ya just love old guys?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    ...Don't ya just love old guys?
    I do...I'm one of 'em...

Thanks for sharing...

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thats too funny

Makes good sense
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Another old guy here - but have to be honest, there was a time when young I probably felt I knew it all!!

Not for all that long tho - I realized back then what my Dad and his generation had gone thru in WWII - 6 years down the pan - so I could enjoy life!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    That's one of the benefits of getting old! Gotta love us!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lol.....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

A note to all the young ones, stop and really talk and listen to the old ones, you might learn somthing or maybe just have a good time listening to them yarn. When I was 30 I ran into an old man (about 85) he started talking and I listened. He had some great stories about being a horsethief, park ranger, and running white lightning.

On the other Hand when I was 15 I went to work for an old timer who at the time was 75. He invented the moving letter sign and actually installed the first one in the New York train Station. He had the working patent model for his grandchildren to play with and also light panels in the barn for a sign 40' by20'. He new how to do almost anything (so it seemed at the time). I learned a lot more from him in the three years I lived and worked there then I did in the same 3 years in high school. They may not have had all the fancy gizmos but did more with less. Look one up and give a listen, some may be bull but also will be true.

A great story! And so true....

On the topic of listening to "old" folks, and I'm headed that way myself, two very interesting gents I knew when I was younger come to mind.

One was the commander of the last actual horse cavalry unit in the US Army. After graduating from West Point he married and headed for his duty station in Cheyenne Wy. The fun was the tracks ended just west of Omaha and they took a wagon the rest of the way. Spent his whole career there. Talk about seeing changes! Boy did he have some stories.

The other was a gent whose old boat I did work on when I was getting started as a ship wright. He had learned the sea under the tutelage of an old clipper master. He went on to serve as a hand on the Rockefeller yacht through college and from there the navigator on the Bowfin among other subs in WW II. The stuff he knew about navigation and weather is a dieing art that I wish I'd learned more of.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It's not just generational. True story. A city slicker stopped at a roadside vegetable store. He told the farmer that he didn't need the farmer because he bought all his food in a grocery store.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Each generation should come to the realization that we stand on the shoulders of giants.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

At the risk of being off-topic, check out some of the projects listed at this site:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery-plans.html

I was surprised at what folks were able to make in their own shops & schools.

Sponsored Links