Pondering a move to NC

Pondering a move to NC

This is a discussion on Pondering a move to NC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Over the weekend, my wife and I came to a common agreement. We are going to move with the next 2 years. We had both ...

Thread: Pondering a move to NC

Pondering a move to NC

Over the weekend, my wife and I came to a common agreement. We are going to move with the next 2 years. We had both been thinking of it for quite some time, and we realize that while we liked some of what this area had to offer, there are several factors that we cannot change... The climate bing the biggest one.

After a bit of research, we are thinking about moving to the Raleigh-Durham area of NC.

Do any of you live in this area? What can you tell me about it? Do you enjoy it.

VIP Member
    I live in Goldsboro about 45 miles SE of RDU. Are there any specific questions you have that I may be able to answer? Normally the only time I go to Raleigh is for a car show, gun show or coin show.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm about an hour south of Raleigh. I like central NC because you're within a day trip of the mountains or ocean. Both Raleigh or Charlotte offer city amenities should you or the wife desire such things.

Re: Pondering a move to NC

I really like the Charlotte area though I don't get to go there as often as I'd like.

I went there for the first time to see a Steelers vs Panthers preseason game but stayed for the weekend and really enjoyed all the area had to offer.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Depends on why you are moving. If you need a good job, then the metro areas are probably your best bet. RDU, Greensboro, Charlotte, and a few others. But I would plan on living a bit outside of them. Some of the less urban areas are pretty job scarce right now. But I prefer the western part of the state. I'm just far enough out of the mountains to dodge the weather, and close enough to go spend the day there when I want too. Also, take into account the lower cost of living here. You can get by on less in the less populated areas too.

I spent a year or so working in the RDU area. Chapel Hill is nice. Cary, Morrisville, and Fuquay Varina were nice. North Ralegh/Wake Forest is nice. Raleigh proper is not bad either. I was not a big fan of Durham though. The outlying areas are not bad. Durham proper can be a bit sketchy in places. Might be because I'm a tarheel fan though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

We are actually moving because of the weather. My wife is cold if it is under 90 outside. I too would like a warmer climate. She has advanced nursing training... As in she is a nurse in a heart center and has assisted in heart and lung transplants... And that is on top of her degree in bio psychology form U of M. She is positive that she can get jobs at most regional hospitals. As for me, my back ground is in leadership development and urban planning. I should be able to find a job as a consultant in one of the two areas. Maybe as a prof at the university or something.

Charolotte is one area that we had not considered, but will look into now. The only reason that we are waiting 18 to 24 months is we will be debt free, house included, and our 120 year old Victorian will be finished... Inside and out.

Links