Long story..... may have prevented a theft tonight.

This is a discussion on Long story..... may have prevented a theft tonight. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I made my daily ammo run to Wal-Mart (sometimes at day sometimes at night but I'll call it my daily ammo run). As usual ...

Thread: Long story..... may have prevented a theft tonight.

Long story..... may have prevented a theft tonight.

So I made my daily ammo run to Wal-Mart (sometimes at day sometimes at night but I'll call it my daily ammo run). As usual there was nothing I really wanted but I decided to grab some rem .22 mag for a black widow I have coming in the mail (not to me to a dealer). Then I kind of moseyed on over to the camping area and debated on getting one of those magnesium fire starters because I've never used one and thought it would be interesting to try it out sometime. I ended up staring at it for 4-5 minutes then decided it wasn't worth the $8 at the moment and I continued my way down the camping section.

That's when it happened. I turned left and there was a young looking guy that had a black jacket with the hood on. Under that jacket he was wearing a white sweatshirt that also had the hood up with the draw strings pulled. He had himself angled toward one of the end displays and seemed to be sticking something that resembled a dvd case under his jacket. I instantly did 2 things. looked around to see if anyone was around besides the two of us (no there was not), looked to see what cameras were catching this (clearly that's why he was over here because there weren't any).

I defiantly caught him in the act because he sort of looked at me with this I'm busted face and just sort of walked away quickly (now with the item in hand). I must admit I was stunned to have witnessed someone attempting to steal something so insignificant. Though I feel I couldn't just let him get away with it. So I began to search around for a store employee. Wouldn't you know it, not a one could be found until I reached the greeter. So I gave my description of the young man to her and told her what I saw him doing. Then went on my marry way. I have an idea that he likely bolted out the lawn and garden area that has no customers most of the time let alone employees.

Anyway that is my excitement for the week. I guess this is what happens when you frequent Wal-Mart everyday.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Long story..... may have prevented a theft tonight.

The compulsion for some to steal is baffling. I once locked up a guy (had to, the store insisted on pressing charges) for stealing some small nuts and bolts totalling only a dollar or two. Meanwhile, the guy had over $100 on him. Incredibly stupid and ridiculously common.

You done good. :)

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    You mean you didn't immediately draw on him? What were you thinking?

Nah... J/K. I worked retail for some years and it's amazing what some people will steal. Some do it in desperation but you would be amazed the amount of people who do it for the thrill of it.

Walmart no longer prosecutes for anything under $200 - if they don't care, why should I?

I will tell you why the employees don't care. It only "counts" if a salaried manager, or supposedly LP associate sees it, so what's the point of reporting anything?? Right. When I was a cashier in high school I reported another cashier for only ringing up every 3rd item of their friend's and relative's "purchases". She worked there for a while after that, nobody cared.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

It's unfortunate that not everyone cares. Maybe they all don't realize that the loss of stolen goods contributes to inflation.

VIP Member
    I think you did just right. While I don't like little acts of shoplifting, I'm certainly not going to confront him while I'm not an employee. Not worth it.

When I worked at my dad's hardware store, there was a known klepto who had such a hard time with his "issue" that I watched him stare at a ballpoint pen on a table. He looked away, stared at it again, and back and forth until his sale was over and he was about to leave. It was almost hysterical watching him fight the urge. And then as slick as a snake, he stepped back, put his sticky fingers on it, stuffed it in his pocket, and left. Dad told me to just leave him alone; whatever he stole we just added to his charge tickets. Funny thing, I don't know if he ever looked at the itemized tickets, but he would pay in full. I think he couldn't remember what he charged and what he stole.

And then there was the family who worked as a team. One or two would keep the clerks busy, another would block the view of other clerks, and another would do the stealing. I finally nailed one with tungsten bulbs hanging out of his pocket. I love the "busted" face.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Links