Off the Grid?

This is a discussion on Off the Grid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I see this phrase quite frequently and I am curious as to what that entails. I kindly ask those in the know to please educate ...

Thread: Off the Grid?

Off the Grid?

I see this phrase quite frequently and I am curious as to what that entails. I kindly ask those in the know to please educate me. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

off the grid

1) Living without using the services of public or private utility companies (grids) such as electric, gas, or water, by generating and providing for one's needs such as by using solar power, etc.

2) One who disdains all recordable common forms of commerce, such as eschewing any form of credit extension, banking services or reportable payroll activities, using only cash so as to avoid any traceable transactions, e.g., living completely 'underground.'

Famous "off the grid" people include such disparate types as environmental champion Daryl Hannah and sociopathic Luddite Ted Kaczynski.

1) Bob lived off the grid in his rustic cabin in the mountains, where he provided for all his own means.

2) Leaving behind no record of his existance other than his birth certificate and social security number, Jim lived totally off the grid.
    Food for thought.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It is not an easy task to accomplish.

Here's one man's definition.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

In current social terms, I think of it as your Internet footprint. No social media, forums, etc. basically, if someone does an Internet search of you, they get NOTHING.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some people refer to it as being self sufficient as far as power, water, food wtc. Unless you unload all property and resort to cash only--earned under the table--and disconnect from all electronic media, you will never be "off the grid" as far as being non-existant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    If you own the land you build your cabin or dig your cave you are not "off the grid". If you do it on somebody else's property you are a trespasser.

So I do not believe it is possible to be completely off the grid only part way off.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Here's one man's definition.

Connor Dougherty(sp?) the reporter, has no clue as to how someone can live like that... 'the stove is like 240 degrees so cooking is like real slow...'

good video..
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Links