You just never know, you know?

This is a discussion on You just never know, you know? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Coming back from lunch today, my friend who was driving got a phone call and hung up and told another passenger in the car that ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By DesignDawg
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By palmcoaster

Thread: You just never know, you know?

You just never know, you know?

Coming back from lunch today, my friend who was driving got a phone call and hung up and told another passenger in the car that another suspect had turned himself in in connection to "that convenience store robbery"... With just a little prodding, I learned that "that convenience store robbery" was one for which another friend's son has recently been arrested. I got back to the office, watched the surveillance video from the robbery (which the Sheriff's Dept. put on YouTube), looked up a few articles, and sure enough, there he is...a guy that is as familiar a face around this office as just about anyone. A quick search of his name was even more telling: google image search is clogged with various mugshots for him from over the years, for everything from credit card theft to grand theft auto to the newest charges of armed robbery, burglary, dealing in stolen, etc., etc....

Now, I work in a large facility with about 5 different companies all in businesses related to each other. We share resources, work with and for each other, generally promote the capabilities of the entire facility and cut each other in on the work as it comes. This particular guy, as I mentioned, is a son of a friend of mine, one of the business owners here in the building. Both of his sons work for him at least part-time, and it's not unusual to see either of them at any hour of the day. Aside from casual acquaintance, knowing each other's names, sharing friendly hellos in the hallways, etc., we haven't had a real need to get to know each other, so I've always given them credit as the respectful, apparently hard-working sons of my friend, and I have given them the benefit of the doubt and respected them as I do their dad. But it just goes to show, you never know. Now, I'm not judging anybody...I know that people are human and sometimes, no matter how good a parent is and how right they do things, they can have kids that just make bad decisions, and decisions can turn into lifestyles.

I guess my point is, every day I've been coming to work and exchanging pleasantries with a guy who has been arrested multiple times for violent crimes, and though I didn't delve into his records, I know now that at least one of these crimes involved a gun. Had I gone to lunch with someone different today, I still wouldn't know. Wonder who else I don't know about? As a relative newb to the "sheepdog" lifestyle, I welcome wakeup calls like this one. I don't think it would be productive to alter the way I conduct myself greatly... Be more aware? Sure. Less trusting? To a point, yes. I still maintain that, while he was up here around me, this guy was always busy doing respectable work, and he conducted himself in a manner that I have no problem treating him with respect. However, it's plainly obvious to me now that, beyond that, my sense that I could trust him entirely and could completely let my guard down around him was entirely flawed. A week ago, if I were up here at 2:00 a.m. trying to meet a deadline and I heard something in the building that turned out to be him, I would relax and go back to my business as if no one was here. I see now that, as I didn't really know anything about this guy, that could have been a mistake.

Just sharing this in case it can serve as a reminder to anyone...we've all heard it, and it sounds cliche' , but seriously: you never know. Be prepared. Don't suspect the worst and treat everyone as a suspect, but you don't necessarily owe anyone your full trust if you haven't verified that they're actually worthy of it.

2. Remove Ads

It's more common than we think. We just never know about people or what motivates them.

Me and some other friends of mine play old white guys basketball at the local YMCA. We had a young black kid who we let play ball with us and seemed like a good kid just needing some male presence in life. One Monday evening after playing ball with us he went to the apartment of a guy he'd just met earlier that day and shot the man in the face with a .25 automatic pistol and killed him. No reason, just shot and killed the dude. The kid is now going to be on trial soon for murder.

You never know.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    It's more common than we think. We just never know about people or what motivates them.

Me and some other friends of mine play old white guys basketball at the local YMCA. We had a young black kid who we let play ball with us and seemed like a good kid just needing some male presence in life. One Monday evening after playing ball with us he went to the apartment of a guy he'd just met earlier that day and shot the man in the face with a .25 automatic pistol and killed him. No reason, just shot and killed the dude. The kid is now going to be on trial soon for murder.

You never know.
    Chilling. And it gets to another point: I always thought of this guy as a hard-working son and decent guy. You always thought of your guy as a good kid just needing some male presence... Neither of us were wrong, really. People are human. We're very complex beings. No one act or habit defines us 100%. That absolute raging piece of human trash that just cut you off in traffic? Great father...volunteers on the weekends building houses for underprivileged families...you get it. I have a couple of cousins like this. They have rap sheets a mile long. Substance problems, general ne'er-do-well lives. They've done unspeakable things to their closest family members trying to score that next hit, etc. It's sad, really, but inside, these guys are really brilliant, loving, funny dudes. And they're sad. Now, I'm not trying to say that anyone should be forgiven of everything because there's good in them. But it is still good for us to recognize that there's more to most people than just what we're focusing on. The real trick is having some compassion and understanding and still being aware and careful enough to keep our guard up. Drugs especially can be a hell of a motivator, no matter how good of a person you are.
    JoJoGunn and blitzburgh like this.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, you never know. It seems as if drugs are at the core of most crime now days. Very disturbing and it's getting worse instead of better.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignDawg View Post
    Chilling. And it gets to another point: I always thought of this guy as a hard-working son and decent guy. You always thought of your guy as a good kid just needing some male presence... Neither of us were wrong, really. People are human. We're very complex beings. No one act or habit defines us 100%. That absolute raging piece of human trash that just cut you off in traffic? Great father...volunteers on the weekends building houses for underprivileged families...you get it. I have a couple of cousins like this. They have rap sheets a mile long. Substance problems, general ne'er-do-well lives. They've done unspeakable things to their closest family members trying to score that next hit, etc. It's sad, really, but inside, these guys are really brilliant, loving, funny dudes. And they're sad. Now, I'm not trying to say that anyone should be forgiven of everything because there's good in them. But it is still good for us to recognize that there's more to most people than just what we're focusing on. The real trick is having some compassion and understanding and still being aware and careful enough to keep our guard up. Drugs especially can be a hell of a motivator, no matter how good of a person you are.
    Absolutely.

I was finally the victim of burglary in December of last year. Thief made off with six unsecured firearms. I have forgiven him because my faith says so, but I still do not forget. I know that this person probably was not born to steal, however something along his walk on Earth changed the way he wanted to live. He made poor choices and bad decisions that resulted in him most likely addicted to drugs and now is spending the better part of his life chasing after them and committing the crime to obtain them. Is that really life or living? No, it is existing and I pity them. I have no desire to live that way.

The day will come and he will eventually be caught. They cannot keep up with this behaviour forever and there is a price to be paid, unfortunately he may already have found out too late and might be giving that final account of his life and choices. We seem to be surrounded by evil and sometimes it feels as if we have lost the fight against it, yet, I know better.

We need to keep living right, and be the example of how a good life can be, even in the face of the bad stuff that comes calling. I believe that is the only weapon we have in this fight.
    DesignDawg likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Yes, you never know. It seems as if drugs are at the core of most crime now days. Very disturbing and it's getting worse instead of better.
    I agree. I've known many great people in my life, who became the last person you'd want to meet under any circumstance because of drug addiction. Unfortunately, the majority of them have yet to see the light and are probably out on the hunt at this very moment, whether it be for a fix or a victim.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

And in too many cases it's the "legal" drugs, as in most of the recent mass shootings.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Technically speaking, crime rates are down, and have consistently fallen over the past 20 years (1992-2011 according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports).

FBI ? Table 1
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

JOJOGUNN. SIX unsecured guns. Did you get them back or are they on the street?
    Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Technically speaking, crime rates are down, and have consistently fallen over the past 20 years (1992-2011 according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports).

FBI ? Table 1
    I'm taking about drug related crime specifically. I don't know the statistics US wide but I rarely read about a crime anymore where the BD wasn't either on drugs at the time or looking for money to buy drugs...including perscription drugs.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Prescription drugs are an epedemic in my area even close to home with people that "used" to be friends and now are "someone I know" .I keep my inner circle tight and as I get ready to send my last kid off to college, I dont want to take the risk of any of that spilling into my sons life
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    JOJOGUNN. SIX unsecured guns. Did you get them back or are they on the street?
    Unfortunately they are still gone with little to no hope of recovery. We looked at getting a gun safe last summer, but since we were in a bit of a financial bind at the time, we decided to wait. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and now we have a safe and security cameras in our home.

The story is that those stolen firearms will be traded for drugs because the theif is most likely and addict. Then, they will be transported to Detroit via the drug dealers, sold for five times what they are worth to criminals there and more drugs will be brought back to Huntington and the cycle repeats itself. This is the sadness that has hit my hometown.

I get "feelings" sometimes, hard to explain, but call it ESP, Spidey sense or whatever, but some small voice told me that I should have taken the LCP when we left to put on the Church play with our youth that evening, and move the rest of them from my dresser drawer to our attic or basement, but I failed to heed the warning. The thief found them and took what he could carry. In his benevolence, he tossed the Mosin-Nagant on the bed as it was probably too large to carry and he was already laden down with 4 pistols and 2 rifles.

I have been in contact with the Detective on this case and they have few if any leads as to who is doing this in my neighbourhood. Basically, we have an epidemic of it all over town. I am hoping that he will get caught, but the likelyhood of ever having my stolen property returned is nil. It does happen but it is rare. I do have a bit of insurance that can help replace them, but that doesn't help the feeling of being violated and contempt that I have for this individual.

Links