Interesting article on death stats and Star Trek

This is a discussion on Interesting article on death stats and Star Trek within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, I admit, I am a huge Trekkie/Trekker. But once you get past the Star Trek aspect of the article it is an interesting read ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Interesting article on death stats and Star Trek

Interesting article on death stats and Star Trek

OK, I admit, I am a huge Trekkie/Trekker. But once you get past the Star Trek aspect of the article it is an interesting read on stats. Earlier someone posted something about crime stats in Australia after their gun ban. Just percentages and no data to support them. Well, back to Star Trek. Big joke is you do not want to be a Red shirt because they were the ones always getting killed. But, if you do the math they actually have a lower chance of getting killed than somone wearing command Gold or science/medical blue.

It is a good wake up to folks that just throw number out there.

Enjoy!
    Surprise! 'Star Trek' gold shirts more deadly than red shirts | Crave - CNET
    sdprof, 40Bob and BelaOkmyx like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Back at my first assignment, the guys used to rush to the TV room after work to watch Trek on one channel, switch to another channel to catch another episode, then watch Uncle Walter tell all about the real world after that. Gotta admit I'm a closet-Trekkie.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Live long and prosper.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The point of the thread is about how folks percieve things by observation make assumptions without bothering to find the data. Also, when you have the data how it can be stated in different ways (deaths per group, deaths vs population etc..) Thought it was interesting that it was about Star Trek LOL. Funny thing is my sister sent me an intaractive Star Trek Quiz book yesterday.

Here is a cool link to a thread I did about guns used in Star Trek movies and series:
    Guns (not phasers) in Star Trek
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The point of the thread is about how folks percieve things by observation make assumptions without bothering to find the data. Also, when you have the data how it can be stated in different ways (deaths per group, deaths vs population etc..)
    Yes, you're right. I'd never have believed it. It seems those guys always die in the first few minutes of the show. But now that I think about it, the gold and blue shirt guys definitely get into predicaments. Does it count in the statistics if they SEEM to die but aren't really dead, or if they're resurrected? Seems like that happens a fair bit. You're also right that data can be like silly putty; you can pull it around, smoosh it down on a newspaper and it'll pick up what's on that page. Hmmm, we may have something here: "The Silly Putty Theory of Polls and Statistics." Would that fall under the Theory of General Relativity do you think?

You have four guys "beaming" down to an unknown planet and beings.

Spock.

Bones

Capt. Kirk

Ensign Stevens

Who is going to not be "beamed" back aboard alive?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    You have four guys "beaming" down to an unknown planet and beings.

Spock.

Bones

Capt. Kirk

Ensign Stevens

Who is going to not be "beamed" back aboard alive?
    See, that is like saying Chicago gun and homicide stats are the same as Glen, NH. The only thing you can say from observation is if you are on an away team with Cpt. Kirk you will be toast. It is not representative of the other COnstitution class Starships and their rates.

Some things I heard. If you are a TREKKIE you like wearing the outfits and going to conventions; if you are a TREKKER you enjoyed the series and movies but didn't get into the "nerd" part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    See, that is like saying Chicago gun and homicide stats are the same as Glen, NH. The only thing you can say from observation is if you are on an away team with Cpt. Kirk you will be toast. It is not representative of the other COnstitution class Starships and their rates.
    An away team with Cpt. Kirk? Turn in your ears. Kirk had landing parties. Picard had away teams.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    An away team with Cpt. Kirk? Turn in your ears. Kirk had landing parties. Picard had away teams.
    Yes, I know that..thank you. But for our non trekkie friends oout there and the youngeer fols they might only know TNG..not TOS

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Live long and prosper.
    Peace and a Long Life \\ //_
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

If you are a Trekkie then you recognize me!

"Got the heaters?"
    JoJoGunn likes this.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh <deep sigh here> Yeoman Janis Rand..(Grace Lee Whitney) ...long blonde hair and her legs that went alll the way up.... man o man did I ever have a crush on her....
    BelaOkmyx and oldnfat like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Back at my first assignment, the guys used to rush to the TV room after work to watch Trek on one channel, switch to another channel to catch another episode, then watch Uncle Walter tell all about the real world after that. Gotta admit I'm a closet-Trekkie.
    That sounds a lot like what I did after class at my first training assignment. I think I could catch three episodes on a good day. 1973 - what a world away.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh <deep sigh here> Yeoman Janis Rand..(Grace Lee Whitney) ...long blonde hair and her legs that went alll the way up.... man o man did I ever have a crush on her....
    since Voyager was new when i was a child it was Seven of Nine (Jerry Ryan) and her painted on uniforms.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links