Horror Flicks...

Horror Flicks...

This is a discussion on Horror Flicks... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone have any good suggestions for a good scary movie? I am considering Hostel or WolfCreek, both appear very intense.... Also, Ive seen Saw ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horror Flicks...

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

Horror Flicks...

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a good scary movie?
    I am considering Hostel or WolfCreek, both appear very intense....

Also, Ive seen Saw I, but not II or III.....

Any good?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

It depends. Most movies aren't as much scary as they are just gory. Hostel would certainly fit the gory characteristic, as would all the Saw films. I just saw the 3rd one last weekend. I haven't seen Wolf Creek, but it is in my Netflix Queue. But if gore is you poison of choice, then I'd go with the Saw films. Hostel was just horrible in my opinion. Not much of a plot, and not enough gore to make up for that.

The scariest movie i have ever seen was The Exorcist. This is just one gun nut's humble opinion.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Alien and the Exorcist 2 of the best

Course i want something that scares me not just trys to gross me out

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I see movies like Hostel, Saw, and Wolf Creek (funny how more than one of us lumps those three together!) for the morbid curiosity of, "Oooh, what sick ways are they gonna mutilate and torment the victims?!" Certainly not because they're gonna have award-winning performances or storylines! It's just a fascination with the gore, shared by many.

If you want scary, not just gory, I would recommend the first "Jeepers Creepers." (Even the second one was pretty good.) Jeepers Creepers kind of stood some horror cliches on their ear. I liked it a lot. (The brother and sister have a great at-each-others'-throats-with-the-teasing dynamic.)

Let us know what you go with, and what you think of it, okay?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm a big horror fanatic. I'm not an expert on trivia with them, but I know what I like and its hard to scare me. To give you an idea about my line of thinking for movies:
    -I did not like any of the Saw series. IMO, I just thought they were hokie.
    -Dawn of the Dead Remakes - I love them for their "funny factor." About as scary as cleaning your carry weapon, though.
    -Hostel and WolfCreek... seem to being going for the "shock" factor and not actually as good and scary as they could have been with a little more thought. Hostel was interesting because it its supposed to be based on a true story. Thats a pretty liberal term, though. They are both worth the rent cost, but not the $20+ to see in theaters.

Given how I feel about some of those movies, and what you think of them, take my reccomendations or leave them in the trash. haha People have as varied opinions about horror flicks as we do about Glocks. hahahaha I can't wait to see where this thread goes.

My reccomendations:
    -Event Horizon: Lawrence Fishbourne and Sam Neill. Very entertaining with some genuinely scary moments. Only reason one shouldn't like this movie is that its "Sci-Fi."
    -The Ring: I saw this movie 4 times in theaters.... with four different dates. Excellent all around experience.
    -28 Days Later: Not as much a scary movie as just an interesting premise. Has quite a few good parts. Mostly stuff that makes you jump briefly.
    -Shaun of the Dead: Many people consider this to be a scary movie. It is more of a comedy. Very well done. If you are going to watch a second movie of the night, I highly suggest this one. Horror with plenty of levity.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Event Horizon is good and Shaun of the dead is funny as all get out

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    The exorcist definitely has a "spook" factor and is one of my favorite movies....
    Most people think it is an evil movie, however I find it to be the opposite in that it exposes evil for what it is....
    In reality, satan denies his own existence, hence "the deceiver" moniker......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Moderator
    Fallen, with Denzel Washington. Very good horror movie.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Fallen was good.

However, I forgot the scariest movie of them all:

Bowling for Columbine.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Not exactly horror but how about Evil Dead and Army or Darkness.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

One of my all-time favorites: "Army of Darkness" is a classic and very funny.
    "Evil Dead" is the first in Rami's series (Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness) - not very good imo .

"The Hills Have Eyes" (the new version - released to video about 1 month ago) - most excellent.

"The Exorcist" - certainly one of the best in its genre.

"The Shining" - another classic - expecially good if you like Jack Nicholson.

"Intervew with a Vampire"

The Amityville Horror is awesome...either the original or the remake. The remake has more...uh...how would you say it...quiet, quiet, quiet then BOO!!! Some parts will make even the toughest guys jump!

Don't really get into horror flicks BUT......

...1960's classic PSYCHO is still creeeepy!

(Never mind the Vince Vaughn remake! )
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

phantasm
    jeepers creepers I
    thirteen ghosts
    dawn of the dead (both versions)
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Our favorite, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Curry in drag. Is there anything more horrific?
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links