Checking in...

This is a discussion on Checking in... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Been busy with work and trying to decide whether to build or buy a home. Not much time for gun chatter and noticed I was ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aznav
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Checking in...

Distinguished Member

Checking in...

Been busy with work and trying to decide whether to build or buy a home. Not much time for gun chatter and noticed I was having the withdrawal shakes. Also decided to trim the herd significantly. Finally getting some decent range time and enjoying the fact I can bring rifle, shotgun, pistol to the same range and shoot all three if I want. Nice. For once I made the right decision and stored up a bucket of ammo last year all for a good price.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Building a home will get you what you want, but the contractors will drive you crazy.
    Jeanlouise and aznav like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'd look around and find something you really like location wise and layout. You can always remodel the kitchen, bath or whatever later on. We've built and we've bought several houses and building is one big headache.
    Right now the market is so good for buyers you should be able to find a great house. Good luck which ever way you decide to go!

BTW, your avatar is the best!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    We are "double minded, unstable in all our ways". Buy/build/build/buy. We are, what I would call, "preppers' light". Not falling off the grid but also understanding that, media be d@mned, we are in for some rough times. We have talked about buying cheap and remodeling but, oh, that too is a headache (done that). I have two major desires in a home: 1) Efficient 2) Backup systems. Diesel, wood, natural gas are options. Blown insulation, closed cell insulation, highly efficient windows, Scandinavian wood stoves are in the mix as well. Looking at about 2000+ square feet. $50 a month utility bills are doable. That's not hyperbole. And it can be smack dab in the middle of a subdivision and not look like a vegan safe house.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Low key is best, but that diesel generator would sure draw attention when the power is out.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Low key is best, but that diesel generator would sure draw attention when the power is out.
    Diesel is for car - buried tank. Propane would be for generator/stove. Wood for heating. Can't go ten feet here and not bump into a tree.

Links