MIND-BLOWING ! : What a Cop Told Me:

This is a discussion on MIND-BLOWING ! : What a Cop Told Me: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (I posted this somewhere already. If it was here, ignore) So, NY State has all these new Gun Laws, I'm not saying I'm against every ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lordofwyr
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By bombthrower77

Thread: MIND-BLOWING ! : What a Cop Told Me:

MIND-BLOWING ! : What a Cop Told Me:

(I posted this somewhere already. If it was here, ignore)

So, NY State has all these new Gun Laws, I'm not saying I'm against every one - like good background checks is OK, important at the start to see who's who BEFORE they walk near my family armed, and other new Laws I don't agree with.

BUT, the POINT: I see a cop in a coffee shop and go up to ask him a question about a particular of the new laws neither me nor others I know understand at all.

I start to ask the cop the question and he cuts me off: "Don't ask ME, We don't know what's going on either. No idea of anything"

He then asks if I know that at present with the New Laws, and because of a fluke, kind of reverse-loophole he says:

-"Did you know now I can't go into a school with a gun on"...

-I say, "Well what if there's a shooting going on, kids getting wasted, like Sandy Hook?".

- Cop just shakes his head "No"..."We can't do it" ...!!!!!....

-Now he also said: "Most of my guys would go in anyway, felony or not, cause' we're not the type to allow children to get shot in front of our face while we just stand around and watch".

In other words, until and God-knows-when they fix this , any cop entering a school to save students from an active shooter is committing a Felony! Their official orders would be to desist entering. So they'd be disobeying clear superior orders if they went in too and be brought up on Department charges.

Know what I'd do: Call in sick for the rest of the day, I'd take 2 seconds to do that. Then I'd run like hell INTO the school, weapons ready to go as an Armed Civilian saving others lives which the Law allows.
    Last edited by detective; February 26th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I wonder if the cop you asked was right about the law. Of course, we are all aware of the NY legislature "forgetting" to exempt the cops from the magazine size limit.

It does sound like your cop friend was as disgusted as the rest of us.

This same thing happened in Texas many moons (or shall we say decades) ago. The legislature re-wrote the Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon law to create Gun Free Zones and forgot to put into the law the exceptions to the law to include "peace officers in the line of duty."

What happened then was that when they realized their mistake, the Texas Attorney General made a ruling that no peace officer would be prosecuted for violation of the law, but until they went back into session and fixed it, technically every cop in Texas was unlawfully carrying when they entered a school.

I can remember that at the time I was working far a large Sheriff's Department and we had the same attitude in role call meetings when we found out about it that the cop you mentioned did, because it gets frustrating having lawyers who are legislators that are completely clueless and pass things without someone somewhere actually reading the darned thing, de facto making you a criminal by the letter of the law.....
    detective likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    The "Law of Unintended Consequences" is always at work. Our Legislators need to put more thought into the laws they enact. We deserve more out of them than this sloppy mess. It's disgusting.
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The "Law of Unintended Consequences" is always at work. Our Legislators need to put more thought into the laws they enact. We deserve more out of them than this sloppy mess. It's disgusting.
    IMHO, the just need to stop enacting new laws altogether and do something useful.
    phreddy likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Problem is, by Biden's own admission, they aren't doing good background checks now. Those who lie on their 4473's are seldom prosecuted because "they", the government, doesn't "have time."

Therefore, I fail to see how any kind of expanded background checks will accomplish anything other than hassling the law abiding citizen. And I don't hear anyone talking about reforming the HIPPA law to open up mental health records to these background checks. Do you think the ACLU will allow that or will they continue to tell us we need more gun control?
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    IMHO, the just need to stop enacting new laws altogether and do something useful.
    Like repealing laws.

Every "law" that gets enacted will have many "loopholes" and subject to interpretation by lawyers, law enforcement and just plain Joe Schmoe Citizen. We just can't seem to get it right with "laws."

Although we need them for many reasons, laws have become very cumbersome and seldom deter or restrict the activity they are against. Not to be religious, but the Hebrews in ancient Israel had over 400 "laws" that had to be kept to the letter each and every day and they too were subject to "interpretation." They did not and were not able to live up to each and every one of them.

Replacing the law with some common sense would be better in my opinion, but alas, that isn't going to happen soon.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like he was pretty disgusted. In my experience, LEOs are not a reliable source of legal information. The smart ones will refuse to give legal opinions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Re: Common Sense

For over 40 years I have been preaching "Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses"

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    There is something to be said as to the intent of a law. Clearly, this was an oversite and the police responding to an emergency would not be charged under this new law. They are talking about a very fine technicality of the law. If charges were brought against these men for doing their duty, then no one in New York has any protection at all and I would be getting out of that state as fast as I could.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

From OP: NB:

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but I wonder if the cop you asked was right about the law. Of course, we are all aware of the NY legislature "forgetting" to exempt the cops from the magazine size limit.

It does sound like your cop friend was as disgusted as the rest of us.
    Well, I think the point is NO ONE knows the Law. I asked the same at County Permit Office: same response: "We don't know anything about the new law."

See, The Governor somehow had waived the normal 3-day waiting period between a Law being proposed and then voted on, so there was zero time for anyone to read it outside of legislators, (fact, I don't think it was made public) - and thereby it's confusion for all who have to implement and/or obey it.

Links