How many names for bullets can they come up with?

This is a discussion on How many names for bullets can they come up with? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Taking a day to relax after being up all night with work. Watching Border Wars on National Geographic Channel. BP officer was talking about these ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By pittypat21
  • 3 Post By phreddy
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By Xader

Thread: How many names for bullets can they come up with?

Taking a day to relax after being up all night with work. Watching Border Wars on National Geographic Channel. BP officer was talking about these dangerous guns and bullets they found in a suspects truck. Apparently someone snitched out the suspect that he was going to be moving arms over the border into Mex.
    Officer:
    "It's a colt 38 cal found under the seat. It's loaded. These are controlled expansion shells, known as hollowpoints on the street."

Oh my... All those purty guns getting shredded...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    "...known as hollowpoints on the street."
    On the streets and everywhere else...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    On the streets and everywhere else...
    I avoid the streets and I still call them that.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

They're "Jacketed Hollow Points"... Nothing slang or street about it.

No, that's left to the journalist who keep calling them" dum dums" or bullets that "explode" when hitting tissue

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You can call them felonies in NJ.
    msgt/ret, JoJoGunn and pittypat21 like this.

VIP Member
    Mustn’t forget the cop killer bullets.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    They only kill cops? That's really getting specialized.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Incidentally, they're the type least likely to penetrate police body armor.

Go figure...

The containers they come in indicate the type 147gr JHP; 115gr FMJ; duh. But have to say the government is doing a good job covering up all those bad MEXICAN weapons by showing them being destroyed.

Some of this is just too funny.

"Controlled Expansion Ammunition" was the euphemism invented by some level of government - been a long time ago so bear with me - I think in San Diego, California to combat or mitigate the opposition to the Police Department adopting 'hollowpoint' or 'dumdum' bullets. What I find very funny is how the opposition groups - all pro-criminal leftist mobs - bought the deception. I also remember the U. S. government (I was a Border 'Troll at the time) using that phrase at times, as it was a politically correct term.

"Cop Killer" bullets was the phrase used initially by one of the major news networks - CBS comes to mind but I might be wrong - in the early 1980s to defame KTW ammunition. KTW made commercial handgun ammunition made from bronze or copper and coated with teflon. The ammunition was designed to penetrate automobile bodies, body armor and other barricades. KTW took great pains to sell their product only to law enforcement agencies. The news agency in question started reporting on the ammunition, left out the part about law enforcement sales, and started banging the drum about the 'cop killer bullets' which were made to penetrate body armor and kill cops.

By the way, the teflon coating was simply to protect rifling from the rather hard bronze bullet.

Also humorous in a sad way; one of my colleagues in the Border Patrol was absolutely convincing that a bullet - any bullet - dipped in teflon would penetrate a vest. Not long after that, Federal Ammunition started producing a .38 Special round with a teflon coated lead bullet. The reason for the configuration was to prevent lead particulates in the air on indoor ranges. But the teflon coating panicked some people.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Wonder if they would panic if we just sprayed our bullets with PAM Cooking spray since its supposed to the same thing as Teflon????
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Wonder if they would panic if we just sprayed our bullets with PAM Cooking spray since its supposed to do the same thing as Teflon????
    In the mid 70s I used to run with some guys that could only be described as Lunatics. We were camped on the top of this rock outcropping one night in the snow. We were partying and drinking whiskey and had a roaring fire going. The craziest member of our group, a Bonified Lunatic, threw an industrial sized can of PAM Spray into the center of the fire. We all took looks at each other and were simultaneously thinking "what the Sam Hill did you do THAT for??" as we all jumped up as fast as we could to run for cover. About 30 seconds later the can blew up. A perfectly good campfire became a FIREBALL 4 or 5 feet in diameter with a huge BOOM and blew flaming pieces of wood and embers out about 15 yards from the fires center. We all stomped out the little fires of which there were at least a dozen. Ziggy got punched a few times for pulling such a Gomer move. At that point we just rolled out our sleeping bags and crashed. Believe it or not Ziggy is STILL ALIVE and not in jail. Time+30 years has tempered his crazy antics. Thank goodness for small mercies.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sponsored Links