Shooting Less and Less... Enjoyment Waning:

This is a discussion on Shooting Less and Less... Enjoyment Waning: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been to the Range less and less the last few months - and I think, therefore, losing some interest in it. I used to ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By bombthrower77
  • 1 Post By manolito
  • 1 Post By Frado
  • 1 Post By IsaiahM33

Thread: Shooting Less and Less... Enjoyment Waning:

I've been to the Range less and less the last few months - and I think, therefore, losing some interest in it. I used to go once, sometimes twice a week; now, it's been a month since last time.

Last October, suddenly discovered my hands are bad, especially the dominant one, from a form of arthritis + gradual injury from handguns, especially those shot slightly off as far as handhold. Especially easy to do that if gun is a bit too long a trigger reach as 2 of mine are. You compensate by slightly shifting the axis of the gun so the thumb/wrist joint gets walloped with recoil in high caliber guns, as some of mine are; the dominant hand is now deformed at that joint - same place on the other hand: no cartilage left, bone on bone. I also draw and shoot live-fire and if you grab the hilt a bit off the same thing happens. Anyway, steroid injections, hand braces etc. maybe future surgery + pain forced me into low-recoil guns, and even those I can't shoot more than half a box. So, I go and shoot for 20 min or half an hour and leave again. My 45s I'll have to sell.

Dunno what I can do about growing lack of interest - but with pain easily aroused and low-recoil guns, I guess the fun is gone for me somewhat. When I see the range coming up, I now see extreme carefulness and often pain, where I used to see fun and challenge.

The only "fun" low-recoil gun I have is an FN Five-SeveN. However, ammo for that is REALLY impossible to find, and if you do the prices now are sinful. So, don't know what the future holds on that gun and I shoot it little to save ammo.

Anyway... that's where I'm at with shooting. It's discouraging for me. I used to love it...

(I'm 65 by the way, only came to shooting at 59) That's not a lot of shooting years so:

BE CAREFUL OF YOUR GUNS' HAND POSITION:
    MAKE SURE IT POINTS COMPLETELY STRAIGHT! Don't be me.
    Last edited by detective; March 3rd, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Very sorry to hear of your condition. And can understand your losing interest in something that causes you pain every time you do it. Im not a range person myself. One there arent any close around here and I do my shooting at home. All SD combat to stay sharp.
    I had to give up heavy recoiling rifles because of degenerative spine injury.
    Have you tried cortisone shots? I have a left knee that is a lot like your hand and thats pretty much what it runs on.

Again very sorry to hear of your troubles.
    detective likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Very sorry to hear of your condition. And can understand your losing interest in something that causes you pain every time you do it. Im not a range person myself. One there arent any close around here and I do my shooting at home. All SD combat to stay sharp.
    I had to give up heavy recoiling rifles because of degenerative spine injury.
    Have you tried cortisone shots? I have a left knee that is a lot like your hand and thats pretty much what it runs on.

Again very sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Thanks for the note and sharing your own problems. I've had cortisone shots, they've helped a lot when hands are not used much, no aching then, but pain still comes up in hard use. In shooting that's gripping gun tight and any recoil beyond minimal.

Good luck with your back and knee. They should make human bodies with a 99 Year Warranty against Defective Parts.

VIP Member
    Sorry about your condition Detective. Does the pain occur even in .22s? That might be an option. If you enjoy the challenge of target shooting another option might be a .22 rifle with iron peeps. Perhaps with the aded mass of a rifle your hands will not be subject to the recoil pain.

Really sorry to hear about your condition. I have started to have some signs of carpal tunnel from all the computer use but it hasn't affected my shooting yet so I can't imagine. You might find some relief by shooting and regain some interest with a pistol caliber carbine. Just a thought. Be well.
    detective likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Sorry about your condition Detective. Does the pain occur even in .22s? That might be an option. If you enjoy the challenge of target shooting another option might be a .22 rifle with iron peeps. Perhaps with the aded mass of a rifle your hands will not be subject to the recoil pain.
    No I can do .22 OK, also my 9mm Beretta 92FS has little recoil and I can do 15 or 20 rounds out of that before pain starts.

My 38 snubs hurt though, but I try to do a few each of those to stay in practice for CCW. My 45s are out of the question and I'm afraid my Colt Python .357 Magnum is too. I won't sell that one. (And sometime I just won't be able to resist trying it though it's medically stupid.)

The rifle for .22 with iron sights is very interesting. Thanks! Good idea!

Distinguished Member
    I am 65 and so I can understand some of what you are saying. I would try several things. First try a different range and set up. Look for a simulated experience where you are surrounded by video and reacting to the threat. Not always is practice shooting several boxes at a piece of paper.

I don't know of a stubby that was made to be fun to shoot. They are a defensive gun for concealment and not made for long term practice.

Try an outdoor range with a shop and coffee bar to meet others and rekindle the love of your sport.

If that doesn't work then you may have to move on to other activities.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    detective likes this.

I enjoy shooting 22s with reactive targets. Spinners, bowling pins, golf balls, old medicine bottles filled with flour. I have an array of 22s to mix up the experience. Browning Buckmark semi-auto pistol, Single shot 22 revolver, H&R 922 snubbie DA/SA revolver, Remington pump 22 rifle, Henry lever action 22. The revolvers and pump and lever rifles can also shoot 22 short, which has no recoil. These guns and a brick of 500 rounds with reactive targets is more fun than anything else I have to shoot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My friend don't throw in the towel just yet. If you are suffering from arthritis and injury issues there is a product on the market that can help. It is a natural liquid Herb, Cortesia Solomon Seal.

I fractured my Left Heal and Tore my Left Tendon while running a few years back. Oh, that snapping sound/feeling in the back of my foot didn't feel right while I was running but like a Dumb Dumb, I kept on running until I had to limp back to my car! It's the Hard Headed, Stubborn Italian in me. We don't go down easy, even if it cost's loosing a limb or two!

Talk about pain and discomfort and I tried everything to relieve the excruciating pain and inflammation associated with an injury like this.

I also was dealing with a previous fracture just above my left foot. I fractured my Left Tibia while over-running/over-training for a Marathon.

I started taking Solomon Seal and within a few days the pain that I was having disappeared! It was a miracle and I was so happy that I called the individual of this Company in Oregon State. I spoke to him personally and he appreciated my input about product and told me of others that had success with this product also.

So, why don't you give this product a try and use it for awhile. I know that it will help you as it did me and it is completely Natural and Safe to use with NO SIDE EFFECTS.

By the way, after going through all my broken bone issues I went on to run my very first Marathon the year after my injuries. 26.2 miles I ran in just under 4 1/2 hours, PRICELESS

Frado
    detective likes this.

Sorry to hear about your ills. Through the years, my dominant has been in a cast several times. So, I started practicing shooting weak side. Over time, my accuracy with either hand is measured by fractions of an inch. As for speed...it's a work in progress.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Sorry about your condition, Detective. It's a shame that time comes for us all. I love to lift weights but lately, I start to get a pain in my wrist when I do. It goes away but likes to show up at the damndest times. Sometimes I'll be carrying something light and almost drop it because of a quick stab of pain in my wrist. It goes away just as fast it showed up. Age is a mofo.
    detective likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Links